Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calories Burned Messed Up?

Could someone please explain why the calories count doesn't seem right?  One day I walked 6,385 steps, 2.58 miles, no active minutes, 10 floors.  Calories burned 2,086.  Next day I walked 8,509 steps, 3.44 miles, 1 active minute, 18 floors.  Calories burned 1,860.  So, doing less burns more calories?  Doesn't make sense.

Best Answer
73 REPLIES 73

My versa 3 doesn’t have “preferences” under settings. Where do I find it? 
thanks 

Best Answer

Hello, this did not work for me. My fitbit is showing I already burned 2300 calories today with only 4300 steps. Yesterday I burned 2800 calories but I worked out twice and walked almost 11000.00 steps. What gives

Best Answer
0 Votes

Im unable to find those settings. Can you helo?

Best Answer

Settings on dashboard doesnt have preferences option. Can you help?

Best Answer

This may be the answer that makes the most sense to me of all that I read (most people want to justify why the calories burned are actually real but it suddenly seems to be off by a lot after using Alta HRs for years). I'm also more sedentary right now due to some circumstances outside of my control. Unfortunately, I do not see Preferences under Settings and don't see Calorie Estimation under Settings. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having a similar problem. I've become a caretaker, so I haven't been able to leave but two rooms. I was jogging 6 miles a few times a week. I am currently getting more extra calories now than when I was jogging. I started clipping the Alta HR to my bra so as not to add hand movements (and have done this regularly, so I have about 2 years of data I'm comparing to using 2 different Alta HRs). I thought maybe stress was causing the HR to go higher and adjust the calories, so I tried putting it in my pocket. It seemed even higher! I have been happy with my Alta HRs. I realize they are not very accurate overall, but they are usually pretty consistent for me against me on a regular basis as I watch trends. Thank you for the explanations. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

This seems helpful and may address the situation I am having. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine doesn’t have the preferences option, is there another way to disable this? Mine is doing the same thing. I’ve walked 343 steps but burned over 900 calories? Doesn’t make sense at all!

Best Answer

Hi. I have versa 3 and do not see anywhere to disable. calories estimate. Also not populating calories into MyFitnessPal. I’ve already disconnected and reconnected. Any other suggestions? Thanks 

Best Answer
0 Votes

is there a way to do this on an iphone cause i don’t see a fear icon and i assume your talking about the dashboard on a laptop

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine is doing the same thing. Had some active days, cals burnt went up. Then had a mostly sedentary day and the same amount got "burned" so I know the numbers are messed up. Will backlogging food do that? (was busy so wasn't logging it until a day/two later)

Regardless, can't find a way to fix it on the app or in the dashboard. 

Best Answer

Hi everybody,

Thank you for sharing your questions about calories burned, remember that Fitbit devices combine your basal metabolic rate nd your activity data to estimate your calories burned.  If your device tracks heart rate, your heart-rate data is also included, especially to estimate calories burned during exercise. 

If you're tracking food and you're using Fitbit's food plan, your food budget is dynamically adjusted to take into account the calories you're burning through exercise and other activities. Most importantly, it works not only for losing weight, but for preparing you to successfully maintain your target weight once you reach it.

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

The platform has been updated so it doesnt mention preferences anymore. Can I get updated help to adjust this please?

Best Answer

Nah, I can't find this setting in my dashboard / preferences / anywhere – Versa 2.

Best Answer

Hey, mine is doing the same thing for the inspire 2. Do you know how to change the preferences on the dashboard now? I've noticed it's changed since then 

Best Answer

Hi, I'm trying to do this for the Versa 2 but I don't have the preferences option on the dashboard.  Is there another way to stop the Fitbit starting at 300 calories. Thanks 

Best Answer

Hi everybody,

Thanks for reporting that you're not able to see the "Preferences" option under Settings on your Fitbit account. Fitbit has improve how calories burned is calculated since a few years ago. You can find the details here: 

If you need help with your calories burned data, please add a new post in our Product Help Forums.

See you aorund.

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

For what it's worth I never pay attention to the calorie burn.  I eat the amount of calories I'm supposed to as mentioned beginning of day and do the exercises/workouts and that's it.  It's working for me.  I went from poor cardio fitness to very good in 2 months.  Just by concentrating on eating no more then what I see when I sync before eating first thing in the morning.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Where is the dashboard 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm not able to do this correction on my device

Best Answer
0 Votes