Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heart rate day after drinking alcohol

ANSWERED

I am a data geek so I like tracking the HR data from my Fitbit.  I am an runner and I log my average heartrate during my runs as well as my resting heart rate for that day to get a % HR number.  It lets me know how hard I am working.

One thing I did notice about my resting heart rate is that it would elevate 1 - 3 bpm for the day after drinking alcohol (for me usually a couple of glasses of wine) the night before.  The HR would stay slightly elevated for a day or two, then drop back down again.

Has anyone else noticed a casual correlation between resting heart rate and low to moderate alcohol consumption?

Best Answer
254 REPLIES 254
Okay
Best Answer
0 Votes
What's your point???? I enjoy the occasional drink - but within the limits.
That's my business thankyou very much!!!!!!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, happens to me as well. Alcohol is a toxin and this will happen to everyone! It's your body's response to detoxifying alcohol.

This is the body's way of maintaining homeostasis. It is completely normal in fact I would be worried if it did not happen.

You will also see, the more you drink, the more your heart rate goes up.

You may also notice when you get ill your heart rate will go up as well. Again, just your body's way of trying to maintain homeostasis.

After all,  your heart is hard at work along with other organs such as the liver and kidneys to try to clear the toxin.

Obviously if you are feeling short of breath and have chest pain you should seek medical help.

Best Answer

I'm new to fit bit and have noticed exactly the same thing. A few glasses of wine raises my resting heart rate by three points the next day. Also, my average heart rate is much higher during the night which explains 'red wine restlessness'. 

Best Answer

For sure. I ran across this forum because I've learned some stuff recently. When I tested positive for Coronavirus I bought an oximeter. I started getting interested in my RHR. I'm a binge drinker. (Just being honest) since I recovered from Covid I have drank twice. Large quantities both times. My usual resting heart rate is about 70-72. Both times I drank it's been right at 100 all day. It's 100 right now just sitting on the couch. I think this is a proverbial wake up call. (Roughly 15 drinks when I partake). 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Seems like a good time to start something new. I’m taking an extended break
starting tomorrow.
I wish you the best in your choices!
Best Answer
0 Votes
I hear you Moderation
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi there,

I ve been using whoop and the data seems to accurate. Every time I drink
I.e more then 180 ml my RHR ,HRV and respiratory rate goes up and comes to
normal after next day's sleep.im using its the part sleep which disrupted
after the bing which won't realize, coz we pretty much pass out.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Not drinking definitely makes a difference in your resting heart rate. I woud usually fix a daily drink after work and sadly go hard on the weekends. As I've gotten older it takes like 2 days for my to recover to feel normal. So this month I decided to experiment and not drink for a month in conjunction with walking after dinner... Look at the results of my RHR.. 

Screenshot_20210507-104420_Fitbit.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes

Wow 42 ure in great shape!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Some data as a baseline metric is better than none. I guess he was wearing an Apple watch? I had a Microsoft Band before and I really miss it. But it thick and impossible to sleep with. 

Best Answer

Blowing out someone else’s candle doesn’t make your own shine brighter. 

Best Answer

Thank you for your comment @SunsetRunner. Awesome to see you here. You can also visit our Get Moving conversations. 😎

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Never heard of "red wine restlessness". Please elaborate! 😁 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Congratulations @Williehutch03, your progress looks good!  My question is, has your RHR come down because you stopped drinking, or because you're going for daily walks?  Personally I suspect the latter to be the larger factor, but in the end, it is probably a combination of the two which has contributed to your progress.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Screenshot_20210522-114545_Fitbit.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I have to say that that I think that stopping the dinking plays a bigger factor. As others have said here, just one night of drinking would make my RHR increase by at least 3 points. For example...on Thursday night  I went to a surprise birthday celebration. My rate was 64. Today its Saturday around noon and it is at 68. Granted I was hungover in the bed all day yesterday, but it increased by 4 just by one drinking session. So I have concluded that drinking plays a major role. 

Today ill be on my feet at work for at least 3000 steps and do an evening walk for my daily 8000 goal so we will see what happens. But when I don't drink for at least 2-3 weeks I noticed the following...

• Better sleep
  • Lower RHR
  • No snoring (at least reduced  LOL)
  • Improved alertness

At first I would read posts and articles not believing the above but my Versa 2 has given me the data to prove it! 🙂 But I am very happy that you replied as we are all here to support each other!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm exactly the same! It blows my mind.  I do tend to drink when I'm stressed though, so I also wonder if it is linked to that. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Iam 34 and I will stop to it’s better I been in the hospital for 3 days know cause my heart rate it’s to high when I drink alcohol I got hella scared still Iam 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Then maybe Iam not healthy cause when I drink my heart goes up to 124 or more 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My heart date goes up to 124 when I drink or more 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes