Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heart rate day after drinking alcohol

ANSWERED

I am a data geek so I like tracking the HR data from my Fitbit.  I am an runner and I log my average heartrate during my runs as well as my resting heart rate for that day to get a % HR number.  It lets me know how hard I am working.

One thing I did notice about my resting heart rate is that it would elevate 1 - 3 bpm for the day after drinking alcohol (for me usually a couple of glasses of wine) the night before.  The HR would stay slightly elevated for a day or two, then drop back down again.

Has anyone else noticed a casual correlation between resting heart rate and low to moderate alcohol consumption?

Best Answer
254 REPLIES 254

Yeah I have noticed a similar thing  I have 2 or 3 glasses of beer a day and my rhr goes up 1 to 3 bpm  currently on 62. No more beer and seeing what happens by tomorrow!!! 

Best Answer

I was on keto diet for a while and that elevated my RHR too so I had to go off ketogenic diet. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

That’s interesting because I’ve contemplated keto. My RHR is usually more elevated by too many carbs. I had a keto lunch and dinner today and my RHR is maybe the same to slightly elevated compared to yesterday. Really I think my RHR is optimal when I get equal amounts of fat, carbs, and protein.

Best Answer

Apparently we Indians have the highest average RHR according to the data mined from fitbit analytics. There could be lot of other parameters apart food and lifestyle.

i had to give up on keto as my RHR was going up 2 Beats per day and at the peak it was 87 BPM.I was off alcohol too and I'm a non smoker. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
That's interesting on the keto. Why do you think that is?
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah look jogger l used to smoke, stopped a long time ago, still enjoy a beer occasionally  There's a lot of other factors that can come into play with rhr  Mine has always been pretty good, it's been suggested to me having a cold shower brings it back down a point or two and something called WHM  I think that's some sort of meditation  don't know what it stands for though?? Hope this helps you  

Best Answer

I really don't think keto diet makes much difference to be honest. The only way you'll be able to know is to methodically work your way through all the other factors first that do effect it eg  temperature, humidity  grog  movement, lack of sleep, etc, etc and just watch what goes on. If we keep in touch with each other we should be able to figure this out. Keep me updated !!!!! 

Best Answer

Keto does initially raise RHR, mine was elevated for around 4 x weeks, then returned to normal, if not a little lower. 

Its something to to do with sh*t coming out of the body, into the bloodstream, therefore thickening the blood, raising RHR. 

If you you believe in the health benefits of a low carb diet, you shouldn’t be put off by this, as it is widely acknowledged and is temporary. 

Best Answer

Ya well I went lil paranoid. Did nt want to risk. I ve shifted back more sustainable diet which is around my staples.started jogging 15 miles a day,RHR is back to normal. More over keto doest nt suite my life style I drink twice or thrice and occasionally bing. May be when I hit the wall on my weight loss goal I'll probably do keto for a month. I'm still on my intermetent fasting which works great for me. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah well imreddy l don't blame you for being a bit paranoid, as I said my rhr has always been pretty good, still is however sitting on 62 at the moment after being in the mid to high fifties. Just tried having a cool to cold shower, NO Keto diet for me just a well balanced meal every day and night and we'll see what happens. I'll keep in touch with you and you do the same for me. 

Best Answer
Thanks for the explanation. I had never heard of that happening before, so
I was curious.
Best Answer

Yeah that's fine, glad it helped you out  I'll see what happens with the rhr by tomorrow morning! It'll either go up or down l guess!!! I'll let you know!!!! 

Best Answer
I have read about that diet and had a neighbour try it. I think it is a
really unhealthy diet. Try the weight watchers diet - I had to lose some
weight a while back and weight watchers is really easy and healthy.
Best Answer
0 Votes

In addition to the increased alcohol consumption, your RHR increase while on vacation may have something to do with food sensitivities to certain things such as MSG.  If you tend to eat clean while at home,  it is likely that you are exposed to things in the restaurant food that you normally would not choose to add to your home cooked meals...but that is a topic for a different post.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thankyou Greg l didn't think of that 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes when I drink beer my heart rate increases up to 10%. I haven't had a drink for a few days and resting rate has gone from 74 to 69. When I have periods of abstinence it averages 64-65, when Im regularly tippling 72-75. So yes it does go up!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Depending on how much you drink l guess. I'm able to have 2 beers a day and
my heart rate falls. Currently 57
Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes I have had various Fitbit’s over a few years now and it goes up every time.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have noticed the same thing!! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yeah it's strange!!
Best Answer
0 Votes