Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resting heart rate and the ladies cycle!

Do any of the other ladies notice a trend between resting heart rate and the monthly cycle?? This is my 3 month track of heart rate and shows massive changes depending on where I am in the month! Is this

normal?Screenshot_2017-11-14-14-30-01.png

Best Answer
134 REPLIES 134

Yes my RHR always jumps up a few points in the few days before my period, then drops when it starts and is down to its lowest after it finishes. Then stays stable for a couple of weeks before very slowly starting creeping up again and jumping up a few days before again.

Allie
Best Answer

The iOS app makes it impossible to see a graph of more than 30 days so it's a little tough to track, but I have compared the menstrual dates in my Clue app with the approximate highs and low RHRs from FB for the last year. In general, it appears the high HR occurs just before menstruation begins, while the lows occur just before ovulation begins (by a lead of 1-7 days). 

Mine (37yo) varies between about 49-60bpm with median lows about 52 and median highs at 58. So it's not a drastic change but it looks large on the chart! 

I'd like to more generally track the effects of general exercise, health and sleep patterns but that's difficult without seeing the larger graph or downloading the data!

Best Answer

Agreed. I am experiencing the same trend: it goes up a couple of days before menstruating, it then drops to its lowest once over. Fascinating. It is therefore hard to get a real trend due to the cycle influence.

Best Answer

I have the same pattern

Best Answer

Same. And I found multiple studies confirmed it as well. Here is one: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.livescience.com/59279-heart-rate-fertility-tracking.html

Best Answer
I love this. I have polycystic ovaries and my graph is a little different.

It would be interesting to see the graphs of other women with
endometriosis, **ahem**, etc.

Share your graphs, women! 🙂
Best Answer

I don't know how my message changed "P.O.S." for "**ahem**". 

Best Answer

This is awesome! I've got an IUD and don't have periods, but my hormones are unaffected. So when I noticed a monthly spike in my resting heart rate, I thought maybe it was related. 

Best Answer

We should all check out Versa, it is coming with a new feature "Female Health" use Versa and the Fitbit app to log your period, record symptoms & compare your cycle against other health stats like sleep, activity and weight.

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer

To add to our independent study, I am 65 and menopausal. I found this thread because my rhr varies monthly by six points or so. 65 to 71. i was wondering if the moon cycling is normal.

Best Answer

Mine is very very apparent. It’s a consistent gradual increase during most of the month and then peaks at 73bpm for about 4 days and then starts dropping the day before my period starts. It drops gradually but faster than it increased until it hits 62bpm. After that it stays 62-65ish for a few days before it starts the incline. It’s likely I have endometriosis too. Does anyone else consistently cycle ~10bpm difference?

Best Answer

Yes! Mine is always around 65-67 on the low end and can be 75-79 at the highest. I also have slightly irregular cycles with varying follicular phase lengths, so it's interesting to see that reflected in the Fitbit data!

Best Answer

My heart rate also consistently varies by about 10 beats per minute on a regular cycle. I have endometriosis as well.  Also, when I am on fertility meds, my heart rate varies by up to 15 bpm through the the cycle. 

Best Answer

I'm 56 and menopausal too and wondering if I'm beginning to see a similar regular pattern with my resting heart rate.  I've only had my Fitbit 5 months though.

Best Answer

I feel better at the time of month where my heart rate is low (for me) in the mid 60's. When it's in the mid-70's I feel a bit off. Like now.

FYI I am 5'6" 123lbs and 65 yrs old. I still average 4miles/day fast steep hiking and running the trails in the Natl Forest behind my house. Every morning. I feel lucky to live here in the southern Rockies.

When I was averaging 8+ hrs/night sleep last year my fitness score was 41-45. But now that I am averaging only 7.5 hrs/night sleep my score has dropped to 38-42. My RHR also stays higher longer. 

I will accept what is given with natural aging but am trying my best to feel great. Love comparing notes with you all!
Best Answer

@Velez wrote:
I love this. I have polycystic ovaries and my graph is a little different.

It would be interesting to see the graphs of other women with
endometriosis, **ahem**, etc.

Share your graphs, women! 🙂

Probably because it's an acronym for a not so nice insult 😉 no big deal 😅

Best Answer

I'm very active and my RHR is normally anywhere from 54-58 depending on the day . It doesn't get that low unless I'm sitting completely still for an extended period of time because I'm up on my feet for 6-8 hours a day at work. I am on a non hormonal IUD form of birth control. However, what led me here is I've started to notice the same trend as well. My resting heart rate will creep up to the mid to high 60s the day before and first two days of my period, and then gradually decrease to my normal RHR by the time it's over. Must be the extra stress on our bodies and increased blood flow! I have a Versa on the way so I'm very interested to dive into that feature and see how it specifically trends with my cycle!

Best Answer

I think its facinating!! Love seeing how outlr bodies respond to different things. I've ust had a bad cold and this sent my heart rate high as it was fighting it too

Best Answer

Mine varies about 10bpm, but I don't have endometriosis or any other condition. It frustrates me because I feel like with how fit I am now, my resting rate should be lower.

Best Answer