Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resting heart rate too low?

Hi All, 

I got my first Fitbit in Winter 2021 and it confirmed what I've always known--that my resting heart rate is in the 60s. The Fitbit broke a few months later and I just never used it again. Fast forward to February 2022 and I got a Versa 3. My RHR has very steadily declined since then. Here are my averages over the past few months: 

February: 66 bpm

March: 64 bpm

April: 61 bpm

May: 59 bpm 

June: 57 bpm

July: 55 bpm 

For fitness reference, I've always been active. Until March 2020, I had been doing Crossfit for 4 years. I lost my dad to Covid very early in the pandemic, so I haven't returned to Crossfit, out of extreme precaution. For the first year or so, I was doing Crossfit workouts, to the best of my ability, at home (they were short and intense). I hadn't really focused on a separate cardio program while I was doing Crossfit at the gym or for most of the first 2 years of the pandemic. I've stopped the at home Crossfit workouts and did start running in May of this year and feel great about it. And while I'm fit and have always had great cardio abilities, I'm 10 lbs heavier than I was in 2020 and I'm far from being an elite athlete. And yet, my heart rate this week in particular just keeps dipping down--my average RHR has been 50 for the week! 

Anyone else have a similar experience with their RHRs? I've made an appointment with a cardiologist for this Wednesday but am frankly freaking the heck out and would love to hear from others who've been through something like this. 

Best Answer
1 REPLY 1

Hey there. A low RHR isn't a problem unless you feel poorly while your HR is that low. Mine is in the low 50s and it used to be the upper 40s. I am cardio healthy, I just celebrated my 52nd birthday and anytime this is discussed at my appointments, I get a high five. The problem would be if your RHR was high.. that's when you want to hit the panic button. Enjoy your fitness and don't stress your HR into high numbers!

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes