Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stress and the Holidays!

Good evening everyone!

As many of you are well aware, the holidays are right around the corner!  We also know that they cause a lot of people stress: planning events, cooking, Black Friday...need I say more?

What I want to know is how you cope with the holiday stress?  In my family, we start our Christmas shopping in July, which really helps me with the stress.  By starting to shop then, we only have to buy a few things left on our list.

My job, on the other hand, is an Activities Coordinator/Director in a local Retirement Community.  This is my busy time of year, as I celebrate everything with the residents, including planning the parties, in addition to the regular activities and lining up entertainment.  For me, I start planning those events in September.  Any teacher will tell you that if you want supplies for holiday crafts every year, you have two options: buy them the day after Christmas at half off and stalk up for next year or buy them in September.  This is also the time I book my entertainers, as they tend to make their bookings for the holiday season around that this time.  By having those two aspects of the festivities lined up early, I can start to plan the events, which is where I shine.  For any activities that go over well, I repeat them the following year.  This helps me maintain a sense of calm, which my residents desperately need!

Baking on the other hand is a different story!  It's probably not a good idea to let me be around an oven!

What are some other stress-reducing techniques you do every year around the holidays?

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer
19 REPLIES 19

Good topic, @DramaQueenDiva !  I really used to stress over the holidays, feeling like I had to do everything … all the shopping, the baking, preparing and hosting the holiday meals, sending Christmas cards, etc. I finally learned to de-stress by accepting the help that family members have been graciously offering. 

• I no longer bake. My granddaughters have taken over that job. 
  • I even taught my daughter and granddaughters how to make pierogi. Another task off my list!
  • My daughter is preparing and hosting Thanksgiving dinner this year. This will be the first time in 25+ years that I am allowing someone else to do this. (I say “allow because others have offered. I’ve just always declined.) I did convince her to let the rest of us help. I’m bringing stuffing and cranberry sauce. A new tradition!
  • My son and DIL are hosting dinner on Christmas Day. We are all assigned dishes so no one has to do it all. 
  • I’ve also simplified gift giving. I used to think I had to give each person a lot of smaller gifts, filling stockings for each, etc. Now I have it down to one big gift per person, for which they are invited to tell me what they want, and one small gift that I will pick out to surprise them. Covid helped with this since I had to stay out of stores last year and am doing the same for health reasons this year. 

Sometimes we get smarter as we get older.

I’d love to hear how others are de-stressing holidays. I need to pick up more tips! 

Best Answer

Wonderful post @DramaQueenDiva,

I use to do my shopping in July too and found it not only destressed, but brings joy in the middle of the year. The past few years I have committed to making my gifts, so I have a 'holiday' project going all year round, which is fun, but honestly can bring it's own kind of stress. My 100% fall back is to go for a walk. Walking outside in the fresh air, even if it's really really cold always helps reduce my stress.  

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer

Yes I also do the same thing , planning ahead is very important and give you heads up start against stressful moments.

Best Answer

Hi everyone! Thank you for sharing your tips to reduce stress during Holiday Season! 

In my case, I delegate. Sometimes I offer helping with little things like pealing the potatoes and chopping the rosemary for the turkey. My brother and mother do the rest.

This year we have a new family member, so I think she will help out with the cooking with my other brother. We started a gift exchange to avoid going to the stores and buying gifts for everyone (in my case I buy the presents  when I see something that I know that a family member will like and save it for the date).

Have a nice day!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I like the topic 

I am a child and my mom is the problem though.See she has one leg so its so hard to get gifts, set x-mas lights, and all the other stuff to prepare for the holidays. I ask her if i can help and she says no. I say to her that she needs help with her stress, then she say that she does not have any ( i know she does). Shes just needs help and am a child so i do not  know what to do. I am starting to be stress out too. My mom raises 3 children. I am a child with a heart towards my mom. Am scared help please. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for getting back to us and for sharing your concern @yeeyeesoul231

My mum also tells me no when I offer help, so I understand your frustration. You can help her being good and helping indirectly with your younger siblings. Remember that it is important getting help from a professional in cases of lots of stress.

Keep on visiting the forums.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also shop early. When I see something that looks good during the year I buy it.  When Christmas is close I go through my stash and I usually have everything I need. 🙂

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

@yeeyeesoul231 - I understand you are scared. Would it be possible for you to talk to your grandmother or maybe a favorite Aunt?  Maybe a school counselor?  Sometimes talking about it helps. 

Best Answer

I've had an insanely busy week, so my husband and I are off to walk around downtown and see all the holiday lights. Steps and festivities all in one. This will be a great destress! lights.JPG

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer

Thank you for sharing the picture with us @MarciM. You're right walking around watching the holiday lights is relaxing. 

Keep on visiting the forums. 

Best Answer

Hi @JassaHam - I also learned something similar about time management while in grad school. Even now - retired but volunteering a lot! - I live by this quadrant. It helps me think things through and decide where to spend my time. 

D806F4FA-0D22-47B4-B52B-25F85C3A2323.jpeg

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner, that's Eisenhower's Time Management Matrix. I learned about it while working on Stephen Covey's workshops. It's very useful and helpful.

Have a nice day! 

Best Answer

It's been crazy for me since I've had work event after work event.  The good news is, I've already started preparations for next year.  I'm an Activity Director, and I do a "12 Days Of Christmas" every year.  Next year, one or two of the events have already started planning themselves.  We have a few residents who are entertainers, so I was going to have them perform for our annual Tree Lighting and do a show for the kiddos for the family party.  I also have a Santa lined up for the kids to visit for next year.  A Yankee Swap is also planned for an event next year (our Yankee Swap this year already has 22 people signed up to participate, so that tells me I should bring it back next year).

I've already clued the entertainers in on this and we will be in talks about these events in Feb.

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer

Thanks for posting the credit, @AndreaFitbit !

Best Answer

The last three weeks have been hectic at work, while I was trying to get all my projects wrapped up for the year. My vacation started at noon on Friday. Since then, my Stress Management scores have risen out of the 60s and into the 80s. I do still have some things to do to prepare for Christmas, but at least I'm not trying to juggle that and work. 

Community Council Member

Amanda | Wyoming, USA
Pixel Watch 2, Inspire 3, Sense | Android

Best Answer

Hello,

I cope with holiday stress by doing morning yoga with my kids. I am happy when looking how cute my kids using kids yoga mat. I don't know whether I I lose the essential of doing yoga or not but this activity helps me.

Best Answer

I've got pretty severe anxiety which got even worse these past few years cause of the pandemics. Also, I had covid half a year ago, so it only adds up to my issues. I used to deal with it on my own, but now I can't and I read about and thought maybe I should give it a try. 

Moderator edit:  Updated post. 

Best Answer

Good luck in your efforts, @karlekenvantar . You can do it! 

Best Answer

I like different outdoor activities. For me it's the best way to get rid of stress. I found online store Everest with all gear for travelling and outdoor activities recently. They have good prices on hiking boots and tents. Hope this summer I'll go camping with friends again.

Best Answer