Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wearing my Fitbit literally saved me

I am so happy that I've been wearing my Fitbit 24/7.  Out of the blue, I didn't feel right and could feel my heart beating in my head.  It wasn't from exercise or walking, since I was at rest.  My normal bpm went from the high 60's-80 to a whopping 148 and was all over the map.

Long story short: I went to the ER and my potassium was at a critical level, so I was admitted and stayed there overnight as they checked everything possible and pumped me full of potassium, etc.  It's dropped before, but never that low.  If I wasn't wearing my Fitbit, I never would have known how high and erratic my bpm were and probably would have put off going to the ER.  I am so, so glad I was wearing it and checking it.  I'm so thankful my awesome son was there for me and also got me the Fitbit.  It's been motivating me and now it's got me aware every minute of what's going on.  

Thanks, Fitbit.  To everyone else...Luck, happiness, and health in 2020.  I'm ready to do my 10k again...almost.  

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

@ItsMeKathleen  what a story! I'm sure your son is glad now he decided to get you a Fitbit, but happier that you were wearing it. This has inspired me. At times my heart rate is higher than I like and I take off the Fitbit or simply ignore the readings. No more. I'm going to pay closer attention to what it's telling me because it's a tool to help me.

Thanks for sharing your story and take time working back to your 10k. You'll get there!

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

Thank you!  Yes, he was probably very glad....He was with me at the hospital, too.  When your heart rate doubles for no reason, pay attention...that's all I can say!   I'm glad I was wearing it and glad I got checked out.  Happy New Year.  

Best Answer

@ItsMeKathleen It's great to see you in the Fitbit Community.

I'm glad to hear that your Fitbit device did a great job as well as your son! Thank you for sharing your story and for the good wishes. 

A great 2020 for you too. 🙂

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

Best Answer

Wow I'm so glad that it helped you. Glad you are ok now as well. I am sure it was very scary for you

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Thank you for sharing your story in the Community @ItsMeKathleen, it's good to know that you were able to detect that there was a problem by looking at your Fitbit and that you went to your doctor on time. 

I noticed too that my heart rate was too elevated for my age (even resting heart rate), so I went to the doctor as well to confirm everything was ok, but I was indeed informed that I need to be careful with my diet, with stress management and physical activity, because my heart rate is a bit higher than it should for someone my age.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with this. Good wishes to you as well this 2020. 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer

Im so glad that you are okay! Thank you for sharing your story. Life Alert may have met it's match. 

Best Answer
0 Votes