Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Day 18: Choose your workout

We’ll be posting a new challenge every day leading up to summer! Follow along here, on the blog, or using this calendar.

30 Days to Summer Fit

Falling into the habit of working out consistently can be a tough nut to crack. What’s the hardest part of working out? Finding the time in the day? Getting out the door? Getting to the gym? Making it a part of your routine? For many of us, the answer is, unfortunately, all of the above.

So, how do we go about tackling these endless hurdles? We can’t make more time in the day (unless you find a time turner – in which case, call us!) and we can’t bring the gym any closer to your house. What we can do is help you find something you actually enjoy doing. The more you dig it, the less it will feel like a chore you have to make time for. It’s pretty amazing how much your calendar opens up for activities you love. So for today, the challenge is simple: Try out a new (hopefully fun!) exercise.

30 Days to Summer Fit, Day 19

Over the last two weeks we’ve given you samples of all kinds of workouts: simple yoga moves, running, an intense one-hour cardio workout, and more. Today, we’ll delve a bit deeper into the benefits and quirks of various types of workouts. Take a gander at the below, and take your pick. Remember, the goal isn’t to ‘get through’ the workout; it’s to enjoy it. If you start one and it’s not jiving, put it aside and try another. Time to try your darndest, get out there and dabble!

Zumba: Move and groove with this mash-up of hip-hop, samba, mambo, and even martial arts. Thanks to its multitude of influences, Zumba is perfect for total body toning. Perk: Great for giggles, great for groups. Fitness that’s so fun, you just might even forget you’re there for a workout.

1 hour of Zumba: 316 calories

Rock Climbing: Whether in a gym or out in the great outdoors, rock climbing is a tried and true method to build serious muscle, improve coordination and burn calories quick.Perk: Rock your noggin. Rock climbing is as much of a mental workout as it is physical. Clear your mind as you map out the perfect path to reach your goal.

1 hour of Rock climbing: 632 calories

Yoga: Get your zen on with a practice that’s been around for more than 5,000 years. Yoga is overflowing with health benefits. It improves strength, flexibility, posture and concentration to name a few. Perk: Variety galore! There are more yogas than there are days of the week – different levels and paces make it easy for all types of minds to get their flow on.

1 hour of Vinyasa Yoga: 420 calories

Running: A ‘go-to’ that requires just running shoes and the open road. Running, along with other aerobic activities, increases your breathing and heart rate. That blood rushing through your veins will help keep your heart, lungs and circulatory system at their sharpest. Perk: Bang for your buck. Max calories, minimum time. No gym required.

1 hour run at 10 min/mile: 575 calories

We’ve just barely scratched the surface of the exercise options awaiting you. Get out there, pick your passion and be sure to share your experiences with us in the comments section below, or using #30DaysToSummerFit.

This was originally posted on the Fitbit blog.

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Zumba is my favorite! Went to a Zumbathon and I had a blast Woman Very Happy

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, I confess, I am a Zumba junkie! 17 months ago, the most exercise I did was 2 hours of yard work a week using a riding and walking mowers. My boss invited me to go with her for months to Zumba. I finally did. Now, if I go less than twice a week, I am a "b" to work with. I am my best when I can go 4 times a week. I wish I could go more. For Christmas; 2 of my Zumba instructors gave me the best gift ever... They decided to hold a 90 minute Zumbathon. Less than 2 days notice, the room was packed. Who was the 1st to arrive... Me. It gets better... I realized I forgot my bit! Now, I will be in Zumba withdraw until Sat. Happy Christmas and Peace to everyone!

Best Answer
0 Votes