Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you calibrate the FitBit One so that it will track steps REGARDLESS of your walking speed?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've found a few threads about treadmills and the 'wrist trackers' not working well, but I'm seeing a huge issue with my One clip-on tracker (on my cargo shorts pocket).

I use a treadmill desk.  My “stride length” is limited by the length of the treadmill and the desk I’m working at, and I have to stay “centered” at a spot arms reach from the keyboard.

When I need to write / type / focus I drop the speed from 1.5 to 1.0 mph.  When I do this, I felt like the One virtually STOPPED tracking my walking, so this morning (since I have the day off) I tried some tests:

1) 1 Hour on the treadmill at 1.0 mph = FitBit 0.27 Miles (-75%) for 586 steps

2) 1 Hour on the treadmill at 1.5 mph = FitBit 2.18 Miles (+45%) for 4559 steps

Can someone explain how this wide of a variance can be “reasonable”, and what I can do with my FitBit to assist me with having it ACCURATELY track my steps since I'm now seeing that it's not right at the usual 1.5mph setting as well?

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

@UnclTrvlngMatt,

That's very strange.  I have a Fitbit One and a desk treadmill and have no problems even walking slower than 1.0.

I typically carry it in my front pocket off its clip.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I think I figured it out.. SOMEHOW my stride length got set to 29 inches, walking.  I did a "pace off" measurement around a 1/4 mile track and found that my stride is really between 19.8 and 20.4 inches (so I averaged it to 20 inches)

Best Answer
0 Votes