Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit devices count actual TDEE calorie or BMR is derived from formulas

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello, I'm choosing what fitbit products to buy in order to track my TDEE and know when to eat below or at maintenance.

I was wondering what device tracks calories exactly as in measuring calories burned from metabolism, digestion, heat production and movements versus using a formula to calculate a standard BMR and adding exercise calories to that?

I don't want a device that estimate my BMR using the typical Harris-Benedict and Mifflin formulas and adds actual activity calorie to that but one that track calories burned at rest for the whole day so that the TDEE is not estimated by real.

What one I need for this?
Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

I'm afraid all fitbits calculate / estimate BMR using the Mifflin St Jeor formula and then add activity calories based on movement or movement plus heart rate data for those models that track it.

Best Answer

Thank you for replying.
Based on the information gathered from this forum, do you think the Mifflin formula does a good job at estimating BMR so that if people eat what their fitbit device says their BMR + activity is they do maintain their weight?

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's not going to work for everyone as our individual metabolic rate is not always that of the average person these calculations are based on.

I can say that it worked well for me. When I started with fitbit I started logging food and my weight loss was consistent with the calculation of a 3500 calories deficit for each pound lost.

Best Answer