Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How did FitBit get permission to get all my contacts?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

How did FitBit App on my Windows 10 machine get all of my contacts? Where is it pulling those contacts from and how can I stop it?  I never authorized that.  I don't think that people I barely know who happen to be in some contact list of mine need to know that I own a fitbit.

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

Hello @RobKraft,

Hmm...  A few observations:

• It's pretty explicit on their details.
  • You can revoke access by going to Settings->Privacy->Contacts and turning it off from the list of applications.
  • While Fitbit does have access to your contacts, what you suggest is not how Fitbit uses your contacts.

From my observations, Fitbit cross-references your contacts with existing Fitbit users and if they happen to be registered with the same address, it gives you an option to easily add them.  I've friended a couple of friends this way.

Conversely, if the e-mail address that you used to register with Fitbit is not one that your contacts are aware of, then they are never alerted that you're on Fitbit.

In other words, having access to your contacts makes finding friends easier for you, it doesn't divulge any information to your contacts.

I hope this helps.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Hi @PureEvil. I was not aware of this. I find this a little too invasive for my taste. I gather from your post that this is done automatically, no questions asked; as opposed to asking the user permission to access contacts and pictures. I really don't like this at all.

TandemWalker.png            TW             TandemWalker.png

Best Answer

Thanks PureEvil, I understand now how they have access to all my contacts on Windows 10.  I see they also have access to my webcam and all of my pictures.  I don't like that.  I obviously need this app to make use of my fitbit, so I really don't like that I am forced to do the following:

• Let fitbit access my photos
  • Let everyone in the world that has my email address know that I have a fitbit.  Now some company that I interacted with once ten years ago can learn that I have a fitbit and start using that in their marketing and sales strategies for me. And I don't think I can prevent this.
  • I accidentally sent a friend request to a buddy, and after doing so I can now see at least one of his friends, maybe he only has one - even though he has not accepted my friend request.
  • There is also a small bug in the program.  After you open the app, the first time that you click on a friend that has not accepted you as a buddy yet in fitbit, you can briefly see their badges.

Fitbit really should add a simple option that lets me hide my existence from all other fitbit users.  That should be the default for the option in the application.  If they would do that, then I would be satisfied.  However, I don't like them accessing my photos either.  Or my webcam.  There should be options in the app to turn that off.  Until they make those changes, I do not like, trust, nor recommend fitbit!

Best Answer

Having access and accessing these are two different things, When you installed the app you granted avcess to these functions.

When you ask Fotbit to check your contacts for those that have Fitbits. The app needs the permission,  of you some want the app to accesa then dont request Fitbit to search them. As for pictures, don't ask fitbit to share any of yoir events. Weekday on saying is that fitbit only avcess these after you requist fitbit to look at thrm. Giving access when installing is easier than grating access everytime yoi wsmt to do these.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Having access and accessing these are two different things, When you installed the app you granted access to these functions.

When you ask Fotbit to check your contacts for those that have Fitbits. The app needs the permission,  of you some want the app to accesa then dont request Fitbit to search them. As for pictures, don't ask fitbit to share any of yoir events. Fitbi

It only avlccessee yhese after you requist fitbit to look at thrm. Giving access when installing is easier than grating access everytime that you might want to use one of these functions. 

If this kind of stuff worries you, then you might not want to know that with Android, apple, and)you have the ability to see about where your phone was for anyday tyat you choose, you are even able to see what roads that you drove on for that day.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @RobKraft,

Let's see...  From my time here in the forums, these are the responses I've seen (which make sense):

• Access to photos:  Ability to set profile picture or attach a picture to your exercise sharing.
  • Access to webcam:  Ability to scan UPC code for food and ability to share attach a picture for your exercise sharing.
  • Friends knowing that you have a Fitbit: That's fair but they could do this by those folks allowing the app access to their contacts, not your app's configuration.  Honestly I don't know if that's preventable from your privacy settings.  I'm just the messenger here.  I know for many mail services (like outlook.com) you can create an alias (alternate e-mail to your mailbox) and use that instead.  This way people would not find you on Fitbit.
  • Seeing your friend's friend: This is a matter of how they set up their privacy settings.  They can set it to be visible to friends or anyone.
  • Stranger's badges: I believe that this is a function of their privacy settings.

You can revoke access to the webcam (camera) through Settings->Privacy->Camera.  I believe access to your photos has to be very explicit (like your browsing for them).

I hope this helps.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer