Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changing goal number of steps isn't set from date forward so deletes past success/inaccurate email

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am using an Android phone. When I had my step goals set to 1300 steps a day, once a achieved that, I got a star. Then, the email for the week, assuming I met the 1300 steps a day, would show success for that week. Great. However, when I move it up to 1350 steps as a goal, instead of the goal starting from that date, as it should, it then goes back and removes all the stars (met goals) from the previous weeks and then I get an email saying that I didn't meet the steps goals when I did. It's just that last week it was 1300.

It seems to me that when you change your goal, it should be from that day forward. It should not be going back in time erasing all of the times you met your (lower) step goals. I find this really frustrating and demotivating. When you meet goals, it should remain that you met them. Psychologically, this shouldn't be how this product works.

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong though I doubt it. The support staff person I spoke to thinks it's a glitch or programming issue.  I also suspect this is a glitch or a programming error or an issue that needs to be addressed. From the app, I show my steps as well as goals/goals met to the various rehab people who are helping me which they and I like. Now, I don't have accurate information to show them and it doesn't reflect progress, in fact it deletes progress and you therefore get an inaccurate email. Now, it looks like I didn't meet my goals for the previous week when I did (until I bumped up the number of steps).

Thank you.

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Unfortunately this is the way it works - there is one goal setting and if you change it, it changes it for all days. 

Many people seem to agree with you that this is not ideal and I found this feature request that you might wish to vote for:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Ability-to-change-goals-per-day-without-changing...

Best Answer

@SteveH wrote:

Unfortunately this is the way it works - there is one goal setting and if you change it, it changes it for all days. 

Many people seem to agree with you that this is not ideal and I found this feature request that you might wish to vote for:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Ability-to-change-goals-per-day-without-changing...

Thank you, Steve. I find it quite poor that after years of feedback on this programming flaw, that Fitbit has chosen to ignore this suggestion from many of its customers. This makes me think that they don't have people on staff with backgrounds on psychology, motivation, etc. As a therapist for years, a basic strategy is you never take away one's success and that is what happens with this poor programming. If they haven't changed it after a few years of suggestion to do so, I doubt they will. I think I'll start looking around for another tracker to see if I can find one that does. I have been recommending this tracker but won't now as I think trackers, like therapists, should build on motivation and the lack of this programming doesn't do this.

Thank you so much for replying where I should comment. Sorry to see so many people making the same suggestion only to be ignored.

Best Answer
0 Votes