Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Active minutes aren't exercise?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I'm trying to learn how to use my new Fitbit Charge. It appears that my "active minutes," even when in over my goal of 30 for the day, don't count as "exercise" toward my three workouts a week. Is this correct? Will it be remedied if I use the timer next time?
Best Answer
133 REPLIES 133

I was confused about this at first too. The answer is that it is PROLONGED exercise in a SPECIFIC HEART RATE ZONE. (That’s the key.)

RULE: In order for the minutes to count as “active minutes”, the activity must continue for MORE THAN 10 consecutive minutes AND it must be activity that puts you in the FAT BURNING or CARDIO heart rate zone (highest effort).

After 10 minutes of CONSECUTIVE exercise in one of those two zones, your FitBit will start to track it.

NOTE: You will earn 1 “active” minute for every minute in the FAT BURNING zone and 2 “active” minutes for every minute in the CARDIO zone.

Hope that helps!

Moderator Edit: Formatting

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a similar issue. Ian using my Fitbit to synch with MyFitnesPal.  If I exercise and forget to record it, should I add it in manually later to MFP ? I think not as the calories burned would be double counted. It’s a shame Fitbits aren’t smart enough to detect the difference between exercise and active minutes and the user isn’t smart enough to manually activate and record the exercise being done consistently! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

“...the user isn’t smart enough to record the minutes.” Why have a Fitbit
if the user has to remember to record the minutes? Seems like a classical
example of idiocy to own and wear a device to record your activity and that
you have to manually record your activity. Like wearing a broken watch -
you just have to remember to move the hands on the watch face throughout
the day and night. Otherwise, it’s only correct twice a day.--

Moderator Edit: Personal info removed

Best Answer

My replacement tracker (other one died w/update) is doing the same thing: it’s counting steps and active minutes but not picking up my exercise (ie walk over 10 minutes, which it is set to “auto” ... and I’m actually walking over 30min). Then when I go and manually log exercise to count for my weekly exercise goal the active minutes are erased/reset to zero. I’ve been wearing/using tracker (Inspire HR) for over a year and never had this happened before update/receiving replacement tracker.  Only one day in the last week has both an exercise logged and active minutes both for that day. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello I have a question I have a inspire HR that I just purchased. I notice it’s logging 23 one day and I had 27 today of active minutes? I don’t know why though because I’m not exercising and I’m not going for any brisk walk? Why would it be giving me active minutes when all I’ve done is walk through the hiuse or today I went grocery shopping. Where are these active minutes coming from? My heart rate I notice is always in cardio or fat burn mode at 73-80 BPM is it true that I’m always in cardio mode burning fat while doing nothing. Please advise what I need to do to make this correct. Thank you Carrie 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the reverse problem.  I have over 3 hours of exercise....but somehow have zero active minutes...

Best Answer

I have noticed that when pushing a shopping trolley steps and minutes aren't recorded. If on the treadmill you are holding the bar it may not record as the arms aren't moving. Just a thought.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My fitbit records my walks without me pushing an exercise button. Sometimes it records it as elliptical, if I move my arm a lot. Sometimes it records gardening as a workout. It seems to me, that if it's over 10 minutes, it gets recorded as exercise.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have123 active zone min in a day  -  70 active min at one continuous time tthat will not show on Charge 5 as an exercise activity.  Sometimes works for a few days and then not for a few dats. Very frustrating!

----------

Agree. It creates an issue with linked
apps, e.g., Weight Watchers

Best Answer
0 Votes

It took me forever to find a thread that may possibly help.  I hope you can.  When I meet my daily step goals, doesn't that count as a day of exercise?  I seem to remember that it had years ago.  However, it seems that it's not registering.  If so, how can I correct these past weeks of inaccurate data counts?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m having this issue also. I walk/run at a fast pace on the treadmill for an hour and get 0 active zone minutes. It’s happening regularly. Fitbit is on my arm and contacting skin. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@jayman710   You added on to a very old thread.  I jumped straight to the end to the most recent posts.  You get that Exercise "day" when you do a tracked exercise, either by using the Exercise app on your Fitbit or by having it auto-recognized by SmartTrack.

@Userm0514   You seem to have an issue that might not be related to this thread.  I think you should start a new thread in the device forum of the model you use.  You don't say what model you use.  The newest Fitbits have their own "main" forum, like the Sense 2 of Inspire 3.  There is an Other Versa forum, or an Other Charge forum for older models.  Please describe your issue with more details.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes
My sister had this problem so she put her fitbit around her ankle when on
the treadmill. It could be because she was holding the rail as she was
walking. I have noticed that when I am pushing a shopping trolley in the
supermarket my steps aren't registered, now I put my fitbit in my pocket
and all is good. I hope this helps.
Best Answer
0 Votes
All fitbits work by arm movement, you can sit and swing your arm around and
it will say you are walking. I prefer to use a pull along cart when
shopping, so my steps are counted. If I'm doing a workout, I go the workout
section on my Luxe, and start it, when I start. It records it perfectly.
Sometimes if I've been walking around a mall and start trying on clothes,
it'll say I'm swimming, which I think is hilarious!!
Best Answer
0 Votes