Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air bubble on charge HR band

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
An air bubble has appeared on the strap of my charge HR. I follow care instructions on my band. I'm gutted as I've only had it since Febuary. Has anyone else had a similar problem?
Best Answer
103 REPLIES 103

@ChasM603 wrote:

It bubbled, because the unit was defective and cannot be partially replaced it was replaced as a unit...with a defective unit...which has again failed.

This is my experience.

Having read through others experience it is clear that the unit is defective.

It is clear that they knew and know it is defective.

It is clear that twistngrind sees it differently.

@ChasM603

I totally agree Fitbit messed up on this model and has fixed it by coming up with a replaceable band model, The Charge 2

Here is a fix I have done for this model. 

I tried the super glue fix and it has worked like a charm. 

Use a good quality super glue like Loctite or Dap Brand. 

In my opinion, Fitbit used a evironmentally water based brand. Darn stuff lasted less than a year for me. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oTOINaksZek

Community Council Member

ALAN | VAN,B.C. Canada Community Council Member

Versa, Charge, Charge HR, Ionic, Ace, Aria 2 scale, Flyer headphones - iOS

Click here Fitbit help for more solutions

>Contact
Best Answer
0 Votes

Here is a fix without super gluing the band. 

Just pick up some heat shrink tubing from Home Depot or Lowes in the electrical department. 

You need a blow dryer or heat gun for this fix. 

I haven't tried this fix, but leaning towards it if the super glue I applied starts letting up.

At the moment, the super glue fix works like a charm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi1lYoUTcDU

Community Council Member

>Contact
Best Answer
0 Votes

That's the same kind of response I got from customer service the last time I called. I've gotten two replacements and the rep blamed me on this last call, saying that she's had hers for a year and has never had the problem. I'm looking to a different brand as it's really not worth the money for how cheaply they're made. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah because people spend all the money on them and purposely ruined the band on them just to get another. If there are so many people with the same issue then obviously they are a defect in the band. I give the 3rd one I have about 5 more months before the bubble appears on the band. I was thinking about the charge 2 but I will have to see what kind of material the band is first. If it is the same band as the charge hr then is it really worth buying since it will have the same issue. 

Best Answer

I advise against the Charge 2. After fighting FitBit hard and finally getting a full refund on my Charge HRs I researched other fitness trackers and couldn't find a device that suited my lifestyle as well as the Charge 2.

So, I foolishly bought one (on the assumption it was the fix to their previous issues). BIG mistake. 3 months in and the band on that device (while removeable/replaceable) started to bubble too. 

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice... demand a refund!

I'm out. No more fitbit products for me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for letting me know this about the charge 2 band. I think I will stay away from it then. I may have to see what else I can find. 

Best Answer

UPDATE JUNE 2017 - NOT SOLVED!  

I purchased a Charge HR in April 2016 and by October 2016 the band had bubbled.

Thankfully, at that time, they replaced my unit but now it is June 2017 and my "new" HR bubbled again.

Contacted support and this time was told the warranty was from the time of purchase of the ORIGINAL unit and not 12 months from the time of the replacement unit.

Their solution?  Offer me 25% off a new FitBit to replace their engineering flaw.

Doing the math, I paid $179 for the original unit, will HAVE to pay $122 (with my 25% discount) for another unit that has a replaceable band ($29.95 for a new band please - c'mon) to fix their engineering disaster of not having a band that could be easily replaced.

I will have paid $301 in a little over a year for a FitBit with a band that MIGHT last a year if I am lucky.

I could be buying a Garmin for that kind of cash and it probably doesn't fall apart.  Will be looking at reviews before spending throwing any more money away on badly engineered products.  

Not a happy camper right now.

Never been wet and taken care of with a damp cloth on the inside.  Does it matter?  No.Never been wet and taken care of with a damp cloth on the inside. Does it matter? No.

Best Answer

Make sure you contact Fitbit immediately when you have an issue. If it is 1 day outside of warranty you will have limited recourse. Fitbits have crappy bands with multiple issues of pulling apart and bubbling within 6 months to a year. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@tomgrandy

That bubble is right above the battery vent hole. I would put a small pin hole to relieve the pressure if I t was mine. When I charge mine, I only go up to 95% of the full charge and only charge it once a week. I wait until I get the email to say charge it soon. 

I've always said the battery needs to vent when it is charging. 

Community Council Member

>Contact
Best Answer
0 Votes

My Fitbit Charge HR got an air bubble, I contacted customer service and got a replacement withing days. I got an email with a link to a website with all the necessary instructions.  But in fact it is very easy, you can choose add or replace your device on your dashboard, I choose for replace and in a few seconds the device was working and kept all my old data. 

@Raysurayme wrote:

SalHynes

This happened to me and they sent a replacement fitbit.  However how did you get it to sync with the fitbit connecter that was connected to your computer from your old one?  How does it know to connect with the new one.  No connecter was supplied with the replacement or instructions?  Can you advise?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes! I got a bubble the first day out hiking on a hot summer day. I tried a pin head and relesed the air but it Stays up - will not go back down flat 😞

Best Answer
every single user now feels the same, however, since fitbit is ignorant on
this particular issue till date, it is very obvious that they do not have a
solution, the brand reputation is at stake. It would have been great, if
they recall and replace the model!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Same here.  I will look into getting something else.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yep! Same thing happened to me. I have a blue one. They said because its 14 months old. They would only give me 25% off my next one? I lived with it that way for a few week now. Now the bubble got bigger the whole width of my Charge HD. The new issue after playing with a wet dog for an hour. The seam all the way across (above the LED display) came loose. It's supposed to be splash proof. But they cannot take the heat and moisture at the same time. I had a black one last year that had to be replaced because it had charging issues for a v1 or v2 charge HD model. I was happy it was replaced, but not happy that a newer Charge HD now only lasted 14 maybe 15 months. I will not recommend this model or but a new one. When this one dies or the super glue job. I'm going try doesn't take. I'm done.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I kept wearing mine. Tried to ignore it. Now it's falling apart even more. My bubble was just like that one -it got bigger. Now the top part has a small bubble and the seam came loose from the display edge.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am very upset with the HR wristband quality.  For the price you pay for the watch, I wish one would get something that is to be worn 24/7 with more long wear ability.

Best Answer
0 Votes

How do I get replacement 603334-05-vw fb405bkl

Best Answer
0 Votes

That's what mine is doing now. The strap below the screen is falling apart a little.  I wonder what it'll fall apart more.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Get your super glue bottle out if your warrenty has expired. 

Just did a friends Fitbit at work and he was impressed how well the super glue trick worked. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oTOINaksZek

Read message @ Post 62
https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Charge/What-kind-of-glue-can-I-use-on-the-strap/td-p/1310050/page/4

Read message @ Post 104 and 105

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Charge-HR/What-cause-Charge-HR-strap-to-bubble/td-p/974222/page/6

Community Council Member

>Contact
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm on my third strap all done the same thing and now out of warranty so can't get another replacement, I wanted a new charge 3 but if this happens every few months I'm starting to think there's no point wasting my money on a product that's not fit for purpose...😣😔

Best Answer
0 Votes