Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any way to disable step tracking on Charge 3?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

The Charge 3 step tracking has proven to be horribly inaccurate for me. While it does track actual steps fairly accurately, it also manages to count my hand movements as steps (regardless of which wrist I have it on and whether or not I have it configured for dominant or non dominant).

I've had it log over 3000 "steps" while I was sitting at my desk throughout the day (I do gesture a lot). It also seems to count steps while I'm cycling, even when I put it into cycling mode, which can add several MORE thousand steps to the total count.

For me, the Charge's step tracking has proven to be completely useless and I'd just prefer to disable it so that I can continue to wear the device for live HR tracking and notifications while using my FitBit Zip to count my steps. The Zip is extremely accurate for me.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

Hello there @SunsetRunner, it's nice to see you around here! Thanks for sharing your experience about the step accuracy between your Zip and your Charge 3. However, there's no way to disable step tracking on the Fitbit.

Double check that you entered your height correctly. Since we use height to estimate your walking and running stride lengths, you may want to measure and manually adjust these values if your legs are longer or shorter than average.

Remember that the wrist trackers count steps depending on the movement of your arms, when you are driving or for example when your tracker is close to a fan. In these scenarios, your tracker counts steps due to the vibrations. 

To get more information about this, check the article: How accurate are Fitbit devices?

I'd also recommend performing a step accuracy:

1. Restart your tracker.
2. Put your wrist-based tracker on your wrist.
3. Walk 100 steps, making sure to count a step each time one of your feet hits the ground.
4. Pause, then check your tracker to see your step count.

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ok what about those of us that are in wheelchairs and don't walk at all. Why do we have to have steps active. It seems to me you aren't taking into account ANY of your consumer's needs. So many people across many forums are all asking how to disable steps. WHY ARE YOU NOT LISTENING?

Best Answer

I’m finding fitbit’s help service rather unhelpful. They just fob you off with a restart. They don’t listen or answer your questions.

Best Answer
Welcome to the club. I am sorry I ever bought my Fitbit.
Best Answer
0 Votes

And here it is a year later and I'm just catching up in this conversation. Agreed! My two steps from bed to toilet about 8 times a day should not equal 900+ steps with encouragement to get to 1000. It's fitbit I'm getting free through my OTC via insurance. I'm tracking my sleep (seizure activity) and heart rate. Everything else is annoying.  ...was on here searching for ways to turn off the step tracker. It counts every keystroke and the multiple times I pet my dog. 

Best Answer