Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best exercise setting for walking on an indoor track?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I tracked a walk on an indoor track today simply using the "Walk" exercise.  While, it seems to have worked (the map it created was kind of hilarious), using GPS for a walk around an indoor track seems like a waste.  I couldn't find an "indoor track" setting or even a "track" setting.  Maybe using "treadmill" would be better?  Any opinions on this out there?

Thanks!

Best Answer
19 REPLIES 19

Hello @SunsetRunner. If would suggest you use your tracker to record this activity. Just tap in until you see the different exercise options and choose Walk. If you don't have the option you can add it from the settings area. Long press the button until the timer starts so you can record your exercise and repeat the process. If you use the MobileRun your phone will use it's GPS and the signal may not be strong enough since you are indoors.

Let me know how it goes!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer

That's not what I asked.  In fact, that's exactly what I said I did.  I know how to use the device.  I was wondering how other people track an indoor track run/walk.  And what others have found as the best solution.  Oftentimes, using GPS on an indoor track does not work well.  Honestly, I think using "Treadmill" is probably the best option.  But I wanted to hear what other users are doing.

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner

Either use Treadmill mode, or when starting Walk mode you can turn off connected GPS before starting the walk. Article in Fitbit help tells you how to turn off connected GPS if you haven't done that before - "If you see a gear icon in the lower left corner, that exercise offers connected GPS. Tap the gear to see an option for turning GPS on or off. Press the Back button (left) to return to your exercise."

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer

Thanks for the reply, but I understand how to do all of that, as I stated in the initial post.  The options are as follows:

1.  Use Walk with connected GPS

2.  Use Walk without connected GPS

3.  Use Treadmill

I'm looking for real-life users and what they have found to work best for them.  

I have my Charge 2 set up to have Walk(w/GPS) and Treadmill as the first 2 Exercise Shortcuts.  So what I'm trying to find out is of the 3 most logical choices (above) for walking/running on an indoor track, which is the most accurate?  I *think* 2 and 3 should essentially be the same, but that's why I'm here.  I'm trying to find out what others have experienced.   I'd rather not turn off the connected GPS on the Walk setting because I might want to use that occasionally (e.g for updating stride length).  I also do not want to go in the app and turn off connected GPS every time I do an indoor track walk/run and then turn it back on.  HOWEVER... if other users have experienced that Walk w/o GPS is more accurate than Treadmill, I would be open to turning it off if I find myself at the indoor track more often than not.

TL;DR

Are "Walk w/o connected GPS" and "Treadmill" basically the same?

Best Answer

Also, for anyone reading the quote above from @bbarrera:

"If you see a gear icon in the lower left corner, that exercise offers connected GPS. Tap the gear to see an option for turning GPS on or off. Press the Back button (left) to return to your exercise."

Please keep in mind that is for the Blaze, not the Charge 2 (which is where this post is located).  If you are looking for information on connected GPS for the Charge 2, go to the same link, but click "Charge 2" at the top of the instructions.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Doh! Sorry, thought I was on Blaze forum when posting that....

With the Blaze I disable Connected GPS when walking inside a building (mall, Costco, etc) because it can be erratic (your "hilarious map") and distance/pace/etc for the activity will be wrong. Therefore I've used Walk w/o Connected GPS, and the Blaze will use stride multiplied by step count to estimate distance which is pretty good for me as my stride is setup for fast walking (which means that Fitbit over-estimates distance when walking around home or office).

I haven't systematically tested treadmill mode, or remember seeing anyone do the same. However this recent post may shed light on use of treadmill mode vs non-GPS run mode when running outside (similar but not same as walking indoors). "Theo1967" has tried treadmill mode on outside run, and was disappointed that distance estimates appear to be using a stride length that is not in his profile. I suggested trying with run mode and disabling connected-gps, and hoping that Theo1967 reports back findings soon.

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer

@bbarrera  Thanks!  That's interesting.  Since there doesn't seem to be much on this topic, I guess I'll be the guinea pig!  I walk every morning, so tomorrow I'll go to the indoor track and walk a mile or two with it on Treadmill, then the same amount with it on Walk (w/o connected GPS) and report back!

Hmmm... I guess technically, I could do the same test on my treadmill....  I'll go do that now!

Best Answer
0 Votes

OK, my treadmill tests were inconclusive.    I walked a number of .25 mile walks at 4mph and both Treadmill and Walk w/o GPS were both way under-registering around .16, with a pace of 24'34".  My stride is set correctly, so I don't know what the problem is.  I also tried using the Nike+ Run Club app on "indoor" mode, and it was much closer at .22.  Plus it had the pace closer at 16'38".

I may do some longer tests in the next couple of days, but in the end, I actually prefer using the Nike app because I get the voice cues and it auto-pauses, plus it's always been more accurate than the Fitbit app's Track Exercise (aka MobileRun to the long time users).  I was just hoping with my new Charge 2, I could finally ditch using multiple apps for fitness tracking!  Grrrrr.

Best Answer

I have to use my reg steps which I don't like since if I slow a little it downloads. I get my steps. If I even slow a little it will download. I have had as many as 6 downloads in one session. Irritating.

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner option 2 and 3 are essentially the same. Walk mode without GPS

So why was distance off??  normally I would say the stride hasn't been setup yet. Now if it has been set then the steps are not being recorded correctly. 

This is easy to determine by a step count test. Count your steps in the head and compare to what the tracker says. 

@Helen716 I would use treadmill or simply start walking and let Fitbit figure oitvtuatvyou are walking. 

Best Answer

Did you ever figure this out? I’m super frustrated that it can be so accurate outdoors but indoors it’s so off (ran two miles and it logged it as 1.01). Treadmill setting is worse than run for me. It only tracks it at about 2/3 of what I’ve done.

Best Answer

I am interested in what gets determined from this post. I'm new to the Charge2 and really find it is motivating me to get up and move every hour, and to get my 10k (15k tonight)I'm realizing I am working for that external reinforcement which I hate to admit.

I typically either walk outside or workout inside on an elliptical and a treadmill. I am trying to log the machines with the fitbit but am finding it WAY underestimates what the machines indicate. (But I don't know they're correct, either.)

Today, it says I did elliptical for 22 minutes for 2442 steps. On the machine, I it said I did 2.5 miles.
Yesterday, I found the treadmill setting way underestimated so tonight, I used the RUN setting for the treadmill hoping it would be more accurate. It says I did .88 miles for 2208 steps for 20 minutes. I think the miles should have been higher...

I'm not sure I'm properly using or reading the app to its fullest.Is there a way to enlarge the graph to more easily add the steps during an interval so I can compare and calculate.

I don't think I ever calibrated my steps. Is this an option?
If elliptical doesn't could steps, it isn't contributing to the daily count. IS there a better setting?

PS Is there a better app than the fitbit app? Does it work in conjunction? Should I try not to worry about the real distance and just go with it? 

Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did anyone ever figure this out? I have a Fitbit inspire but also use mapmyfitness app. I've been walking outdoors and for safety reasons just joined an indoor fitness club. I walked the track first time this am and also got a scribble for a workout.  My instant reaction was also "hilarious". Mmf App also did not register my walk correctly. Not sure how to set it up.  I don't care what my map looks like,  I just want my speed and mileage to be accurate. If anyone figured this out I'd live to hear. Otherwise I guess I just keep trying different settings on mmf app.

Best Answer
0 Votes
My fitbit alta tracks my indoor walk just fine. When I first set it up I went into advance settings and entered my step length. This calculates my steps to a mile this giving me my distance and time walked I can then calculate my speed.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you.  I have an inspire, not sure mine is as advanced as yours but I'll check it out. Thanks again and happy walking!😊Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes

So I can get my Fitbit Charge HR to track miles if I just use the start exercise function. I also set my stride length up. However, If I switch to more racewalking with short quick steps it is off on its measures, so I get the steps with way less miles, so indoors I try not to do that.
My issue is, I can see the miles on my wrist, but once I go to the dashboard it is nowhere to be found. Also do not see it in the App. Can anybody tell me where the miles on my wrist after a workout will appear on Fitbit App or dashboard? My Wrist shows, avg HR, Calories burned, steps, and miles. On both app and dashboard, I get back all of this except the miles. I am in a challenge where I need to display the miles and limited to indoor marching due to the Covid crisis. Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Charge 2 uses the gps location of your phone. So if you're phone wasn't with you and was set aside, you may have gotten the weird map.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I use the treadmill setting for indoor walks and I count my steps to make sure it's registering my steps correctly and I feel like I'm getting pretty accurate measurements

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've also noticed if the GPS is on it really mucks up the measurements so I just turn it off

Best Answer
0 Votes