Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brightness under the sunlight on my Charge 4

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello, is it possible to change the brightness on my Fitbit Charge 4 (like I can on  my I-Phone) on a Sunny day it is almost imbossible to read the screen.

Moderator edit: subject updated for clarity 

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Karin020 , tap or lift your Charge 4 to wake the screen and then swioe left until you come to settings.  Tap on settings and then on “brightness” where you can choose from “auto” “normal” or “dim”.  

Welcome to the forums!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
43 REPLIES 43

Hi @Karin020 , tap or lift your Charge 4 to wake the screen and then swioe left until you come to settings.  Tap on settings and then on “brightness” where you can choose from “auto” “normal” or “dim”.  

Welcome to the forums!

Best Answer

"Normal" seems to be the brightest screen setting.  Still too dim to see in sunlight. Disappointing.

Best Answer

@hornblowr21 , yes, I think you are correct.  Normal will be the brightest. I find if I cup my hands over it or step into the shade I can see the screen.  That is a downside of the screen technology used.

Best Answer

I have the same problem. I set the brigtness manually, and it doesn't help.

Best Answer

Agreed - brightness is terrible. Normal is too dim still

Best Answer

Hi @Karin020 @hornblowr21 @StephanieNC @hfdliz, and welcome to the new users in the Community forums. Sorry for the late response. 

Thank you for all the feedback and for taking the time to share your experiences with the brightness setting, specifically under the sunlight.

As you already mentioned, these are the only settings available at the moment, but I highly recommend that you vote for this idea posted in the Feature Suggestion section of the Community; this is always helpful for the team of developers: Charge 4 screen brightness boost.

Let me know if you have further questions. 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer

For your charge 4 owners, Can you see the screen on a bright sunny day?  I have a Charge 3 and it’s completely useless outside on a sunny day.  To make matters even worse, the screen timeout is so short you can’t even begin to see the screen by shading the screen Before the screen goes blank.  And for some reason Fitbit will not allow us to adjust our brightness or screen timeout.  I really like the Charge line and was looking at getting a Charge 4 if it was any better.  Otherwise I’m going to Garmin.

Thanks Jim

Best Answer
The Charge 4 is exactly as you described Charge 3. Too dim and it times out before you can struggle to see it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Hello @Jim_Bo @hfdliz, thank you for your replies and for taking the time to share your feedback regarding the brightness and the possibility to adjust the screen timeout; comments from users are always useful to continue to improving the quality of products and services. 

As you've mentioned, at the moment it wouldn't be possible to increase the brightness or screen timeout any further and we have't received any other updates about these features yet. Thank you again for providing your feedback about this. 

Best Answer

The "normal" setting is way too dim, and "dim" info is not worth looking for. This is a serious and quite obvious flaw; I'm surprised and disappointed at Garmin on this one. 

Best Answer

Good to know - was looking to buy a Charge 4, but if this irritating dim story that the Charge 3 has is still there, going to skip it.

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer

Yes, the "normal" setting is still too dim on my Charge 4 under any outdoor lighting conditions.  A tech suggested I disengage the "DND" setting and "Sleep+" setting.  Holding the side button for about 2 seconds brings these settings up and they should be changed to "off" (dark).  This helps somewhat.

But, if Fitbitis listening, I would gladly trade Battery Life for a fitness tracker whose data I could read Outside, the place where most or all Fitness activities occur!  We are used to charging our phones and other devices usually on a daily basis.  I don't need a fitness tracker's battery to last without charging for a week.  Give us a device that can actually be read outdoors and I am happy to charge it every other day or daily, for that matter.  A device with an unreadable screen is almost worthless.  

Best Answer

Also, I wonder if some type of firmware update would be possible to allow the Charge4 screen to be easily read outdoors.  That would be an important capability - but, I don't know what the technical possibilities are.  Again, we are accustomed to charging our phones basically daily.  At least for me, I would happily trade battery life for a screen that is readable outdoors.

Best Answer

I’m afraid this does not help. Since last software update normal and auto are not bright enough. Very disappointing as basic need is to be able to tell the time. Does anyone have a solution?

Best Answer

Thank you for your reply and confirming that you're having the same inconvenience with the brightness of your Charge 4 @Scottmakin100

Could you please confirm if you're still seeing the same behavior and if you've checked if the Sleep Mode and Do not disturb mode are disabled on your Charge 4?  

Please keep me posted. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes. In any mode, unreadable in daylight. I’d happily trade a shorter battery life for readability any day.

Best Answer

Confirmed.
Sleep mode and do not disturb are both disabled

Regards,

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for sharing all this feedback @RG767 @Scottmakin100.  

Unfortunately there is no other setting to increase the brightness at the moment, particularly when using the device under the sun. However, if you haven't done so already, i do recommend that you also vote for this idea posted in the Feature Suggestion section of the Community, since this section is often reviewed by the team of developers for possible implementations in the future: Charge 4 screen brightness boost.

Best Answer

I tried Automatic setting and it adjusted to the amount of light I was in.  So thankful I was about to get rid of it.

Best Answer