Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't edit length of run in Fitbit app

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi,

I went for a run with my charge 3 (without phone). Afterwards I tried to adjust the length of the run since it was overestimated (calculated with my stride length). But if you edit the run distance in the app, it keeps changing to the original distance..

I've noticed there are a few other topics related to this issue. Should be an easy fix right? 

I've tried:

- Loggin in and out of the app

- Restarting my phone

- Deleting and reinstalling the app

None of the above worked.

Thank you for your help!

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
17 REPLIES 17

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @Runner__! Thanks for already troubleshooting this inconvenience with your stride length, nice way to go! 

By default, we calculate your stride length using your height and sex. Since you have Charge 3, track one or more runs using GPS, we evaluate that data to automatically update your running stride length. For best results, run at a comfortable pace for at least 10 minutes.

If your distance measurement seems inaccurate, follow the steps below to calculate your stride length and then add it to your Fitbit account.

To measure your walking stride length:

1. Go to a track or some place where you're sure of the distance.
  2. Count your steps as you walk across that distance, making sure you travel at least 20 steps.
  3. Divide the total distance (in feet) taken by the number of steps to get your stride length.

Your running stride can be calculated the same way if you run instead of walk.

To change your stride length:

1. From the Fitbit app dashboard, tap or click the Account icon.
  2. Tap or click Advanced Settings.
  3. Tap or click Stride Length.
  4. Adjust your stride length.

Give this a shot and let me know the outcome! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @MarreFitbit

Thanks for your reply and tips! I now have edited my stride length. But the problem I tried to explain is not fixed. Since a run I made earlier still used my old stride length it was inaccurate. I would like to change the distance on this log but everytime I try to change it, it keeps changing itself to the original (inaccurate) distance.

How can I fix this?

Best Answer

Thanks for getting back @Runner__! Hmmm... this is very strange. Can you please make sure that your Fitbit app is up-to-date

I know you've done some of the following steps, but please try to do them in this order:

• Log out of your Fitbit app
  • Force quit the app
  • Restart your tracker
  • Turn off the Bluetooth
  • Shut off your phone and turn it on after 1-2 minutes
  • Turn on the Bluetooth
  • Log back into your Fitbit app

If the stride length keeps reverting, would you mind to send me screenshots of the section you're trying to update your data?

I'll be around! 

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi

I think you misunderstood. I can change my stride length however before I changed my stride length I went for a run. So the distance of this run is wrongly logged. (It says 9km but I know I only did about 7,9km). Everytime I try to edit this through 'Edit Exercise Details" it changes back. Nevertheless I tried the steps in the right order which dit not work. Attached you can find screenshots.

Thanks

IMG_6588.jpgIMG_6587.jpg

Update: Also both my app and charge 3 are up to date

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the screenshot provided @Runner__! Can you please try editing your distance using a different platform? Like Android or Fitbit.com online Dashboard? Let's see if by using a different platform the changes can be properly saved. 

Ping me out! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MarreFitbit

I don't think you can edit the distance on the online dashboard at fitbit.com and I do not have an android device.

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MarreFitbit

I've got some additional info: If I turn off my wifi (or another internet connection) on my phone and change the distance in the app, it doesn't change back (as it should). However if i turn my wifi back on, it 'syncs' back to the original distance.

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Runner__ and @MarreFitbit

I'm also having this issue and cannot seem to resolve it. There is quite a difference in my run and walk stride lengths so my runs always come out to be a longer difference than the actual distance. In the past I was able to edit my runs no problem with my Charge 2, however I just upgraded to a Charge 3 and found I can no longer edit my runs. I have gone ahead and updated my stride length so hopefully my future runs are more accurate, but I really enjoyed having the ability to edit my runs so they could be as accurate as possible.

Best Answer

I am having this same issue, it’s very frustrating since I used to be able to edit this before and the new distance stuck just fine. It might have been when I upgraded to the Charge 3 but I’m not quite sure. I don’t run with the same constant stride all the time, especially when running with different friends so I always use a different GPS app for distance and then up date in my Fitbit account, but that’s not working anymore. I have seen posts for this going back to mid 2018, can we get an update on a fix please?

Best Answer

I have the same issue. Just got a Fitbit for the first time and I'm pretty frustrated that a simple feature like this doesn't work

Best Answer

As tested:

Fitbit Charge 3

v20001.63.5

iPhone 8

iOS 12.3.1

Fitbit App v3.1

Stes to reproduce:

1. Record run distance using the tracker

2. Launch the fitbit app and sync the tracker

3. Go to track excercise>Run event>Note the distance and pace

4. Go to [...] menu>Edit exercise details>Distance

5. Change the distance by .5 miles>Done

6. Note that the distance for the run event and the pace have not changed

7. Log in to the Web UI>Resent Exercise> Run event (from above)

8. Note that the distance in the web UI is the same, but the pace is different than in the app

9. Go back to the app, and edit the run distance up by .5 miles

10. Go back to the web UI and refresh the page dsplaying the Run event. 

11. Observe that the pace goes down, but the displayed rund distance still displays the original recorded distance. 

Reposting here since this thread appears to be more active. 

Fitbit recorded distance was 3.16, mapped distance was 3.42. Attempted to edit, like I have to almost ever run, and it reverts to 3.16 after changing to 3.4.

This issue is actually at the server level. When I looked at the stats for the run mentioned above , I noticed a discrepancy between the pace time calculated in the app versus the web UI.  I noticed the pace was significanty lower on the Web UI. Why? Because I was noodling with the edit feature in the app and I had moved it to 3.6 miles. So i went back to the app, set the distance to 3.2 miles, saved the change in the app, then refreshed the Web UI. Well, the pace is now higher as I would expect. Funny thing is, the distance on both the web UI and the iPhone app still shows a distance of 3.16 miles. And, changing the distance only effects the pace measurement displayed on the web UI, not in the iPhone app. You guys have some digging to do. 

This has nothing to do with restarting the device, logging out of the app, or reinstalling the app. The app and the web UI are soing what they are programmed to do, which is wrong at the database level as the changes are being calculated, but not transcribed to the Web UI or the app, correctly. This feature worked up until last week when I upgraded to from the Charge 2 to the Charge 3. 

Best Answer

I’ve been having the same issues with my charge three for almost 9 months now.

Best Answer

Hello, I’m also experiencing this issue and it is annoying. 

I went to the Fitbit web platform, it seems there is no option to edit exercise details there at all.

If it’s not possible, you should just say so instead of wasting our time. 

Best Answer

Experiencing same issue after upgrading to Versa 2. Frustrated.

Fitbit, please add link for how to return for full refund.

Best Answer
0 Votes

May have discovered a workaround for this. It seems to be a common problem.

1. First, update you stride length as detailed above
  2. Create a new workout manually
  3. Enter Run as the exercise type
  4. Enter your start time
  5. Enter duration and distance
  6. If you enter under 'Log Previous' it saves the previous heart rate data
  7. Delete the original run

Please let me know if I've missed anything, but this seems to work for me.

Note: I can't remember step 6 exactly because it seemed to be different the second time i tried it

Best Answer

Has there been a fix for this? This drives me nuts that it reverts back to the original distance and won’t let me edit my log. It over-estimates everything: calories, speed, etc. There is no point of tracking if it is always wrong! Please let me know how to fix this?

Best Answer

Nope, as of now (Oct. 2021) this has not been fixed or addressed. Fitbit helpers are very good at giving us the run around. I am a techy person....lol, am a programmer, well that is what I do for a living anyways.

Best Answer