Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't read the Charge 3 screen

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Charge 3 is not two years old. Recently it went into 'dim' mode, where the screen cannot be read easily in any light condition! Also it does not illuminate, however dim it may be, with the fast wrist rotation!

It has had a 'two phase' brightness display difficulty for some time. Whilst not at all easy, it was still readable on the dimmer scale! Then, now and then, it would promote itself to 'full brightness' and my exercise was really rewarding as I could read all of the information it wants to tell me. But now, in 'very dim mode', it is not really readable at all. And, whilst it still collects the information I use, and bluetooths it to the iPad, it would be really nice if one might be able to read it in real time.

According to Australia's Consumer Magazine (Choice), I should be able to claim a new one, irrespective of the warranty. Choice reckon things electronic should reasonably be expected to last five years.

But, if there is an easy fix for this problem, I would be grateful to hear from experienced users.

I'd turn it off and 'reboot it'! But the last time I asked if this was possible, I was given information I didn't understand, (I am 70). Might anyone be able to advise on this? It would have to be the first option!

Another annoying thing about this seemingly life ending fault, I've just bought three new wristbands for the jolly thing!!!

Hope to hear from you, I remain,

yours sincerely,

C. R. (Rick) Hardy.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

Hi, @rick_hardy it sounds like your Charge 3 may have accidentally been changed to “dim” mode.  You can reset the brightness mode on your Charge 3 so hopefully you will be able to see it again, indoors at least.  To change the mode: from the main, clock screen swipe left (best do this indoors, because on the dim mode the screen is really hard to read!). Keep swiping left until you come to the “settings” screen.  It’s the final screen when you swipe left.

When you get to the “settings” screen, the first option is “Brightness”.  Tap on “brightness” to toggle between “dim”, “normal” or “auto”.  I would recommend “normal” for best readability outdoors, or “auto” indoors.  Unfortunately, even on “normal” or “auto” the screen on the Charge 3 is, quite frankly, difficult to read in bright sunlight, and this is especially true in the brighter spring and summer months.  I am afraid that this is not a defect in your individual device, but is part of the specs for this device, so getting a warranty replacement will likely make no difference.

This brightness issue, reported by many, was improved in the Charge 4, and I think will not be an issue at all with the colour screen on the new Charge 5.

If you need to reboot your Charge 3, once again from the clock screen swipe left until you come to “settings”.  Tap on settings, and then scroll down until you come to the last option: “about”.  Tap on “about” then swipe up until you come to “reboot device” (the final option).  Swipe up and the tap the tick/check mark. 

You can also reboot by plugging it in to charge as usual and then while it is still plugged in and charging, press and hold the “haptic button” (that’s the bit in the open slot on one side of the charger) and hold it for 8 seconds before releasing.  I find this quite difficult to do while it is in the charger, so whenever it is possible I prefer to do the restart procedure I described above.

I hope this helps!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

Hi there @rick_hardy. Thanks for the great input @Julia_G

Thanks for taking the time to share what you've experienced with your Fitbit Charge 3. In addition to what @Julia_G suggested, I recommend making sure that the Sleep Mode option is disabled on your Fitbit Charge 3. When the sleep mode setting is on:

• Notifications don't cause the tracker to vibrate or the screen to turn on.
  • The screen's brightness is set to dim.
  • Turning your wrist won't cause the tracker's screen to turn on and you need to press the button. 

To turn off Sleep mode: Press and hold the button, and swipe left to access the quick settings screen. Tap Sleep to turn it on or off. When you turn off the setting, the icon appears dim with a line through it.

On a side note, I've moved your post to the Other Charge Trackers board to keep our forums organized.

See you around.

Cindy|Community Moderator| Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution!
Best Answer

I have the same prob I have entered a chat helpline on Fitbit app and I’m told ill have an email from support to offer warranty advice 

Same problem here- I’m awaiting an email from the team to consider my problem and resolution 

Moderator Edit: Merged replies

Best Answer

Welcome to the Community Forums @jaynedebs

Thanks for the details shared on your post and for letting me know that you already contacted our support team about this situation. I know they will be glad to help you out and provide a solution.

Have a nice day! 

Cindy|Community Moderator| Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Absolutely brilliant information.

My Charge 3 is back to how I understand it and I have the necessary
knowledge to fix these items in the future.

Can't thank you too much, I remain,

yours sincerely,

C. R. (Rick) HARDY.

More brilliant information.

A 'dextrous twist of my muscular wrist' lights up the Charge 3 again.

Thank you so much, I remain,

yours sincerely,

C. R. (Rick) HARDY.

Moderator Edit: Merged replies 

Best Answer

Thanks for your reply @rick_hardy

It's great to hear that your Charge 3 is working again. I appreciate all your troubleshooting efforts. I hope you can continue tracking towards your fitness goals!

Have a wonderful day!

Best Answer
0 Votes