Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't sync and connect with new phone

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Scenario of Events

1. I downloaded the app onto my phone and synced the charger successfully with no problems on January 16th.
  2. That day I lost my phone.
  3. On the 26th January my identical replacement phone was ready for me to download the app.
  4. Once I downloaded the app the tracker started to report that it was syncing – 2 hours later the scenario was the same.
  5. Next I tried to set up my tracker as a new device, the phone recognised this and I got the 4 character code.
  6. After entering the code I got the standard error page.

Is there a way of deleting my previous phone from the trackers memory?

OK now I have today’s data which is being updated ok.

I don’t seem to have any previous data.

Do people from fitbit monitor this community?

I am getting very frustrated.

Thanks

Ken

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
10 REPLIES 10

Thanks for stopping by my friend @Kennyx! Thks for letting me know what you've done so far!

You should connect your Charge 2 with no problem whenever your new phone is included in the list of supported devices. Have you checked that already?

After reading your post, I was wondering, what's is the standard error page you get? Would you mind sending screen shots?

Since you're trying to set it up again, make sure about the following:

• Know that you can't set up your tracker from your device's Bluetooth screen; you must open the Fitbit app and follow the on-screen instructions.
  • The software on your mobile device is up to date. 
    • iOS—Tap Settings > General > Software Update.
    • Android—Tap Settings > About Phone or About Device > Android Version.
    • Windows 10—Tap or click Start > Settings > Update & security.
  • The Bluetooth setting on your mobile device is on.
    • iOS—Tap Settings > Bluetooth.
    • Android—Tap Settings > Connections > Bluetooth.
    • Windows 10—Click or tap Settings > Devices > Bluetooth.
  • (Android only) Double check the following information about your mobile device:
    • Your device doesn't have a set up or sync issue listed on What should I know about using the Fitbit app on my Android device?
    • Power Saving Mode is turned off on your device. This mode frequently causes the device to disable Bluetooth. 
    • (Version 6.0+ only) You have location services turned on and the Fitbit app has permission to access your location. 

Once you verify all of the above, if you keep having difficulties with the set up process, do the following:

• Restart your Charge 2 at least 3 times in a row 
  • Try the setup process again.
  • If you can't set up after a restart, reboot your mobile device (turn it off and then back on, the Bluetooth too).
  • Try setting up your tracker again.
  • If you can't set up after the reboot, try uninstalling and reinstalling the Fitbit app.

Let me know if this finally works for you! Woman Very Happy

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

Generally setting up a new phone is easy. 

First step is to turn off or move the old phone 30 feet away, no promblem here since the old doesnt work.

Next download the app and log into your fitbit account.

I believe apple has one more step, and the app will prompt you.

If you remaved your tracker, then we have to figure out why it wont sync so that we can add it back to your account. Then the app will know what tracker to sync. For troubleshooring  see http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1866/

Best Answer
0 Votes

In answer to the previous post it will sync for todays data just nothing retrieved from Jan 17th to yesterday.

I restarted 3 tracker 3 times and this is what happened

No - sync todays data 

last sync displayed as 16th Jan 

No data in between

exactly as before

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you to everyone who has replied and tried to help.

I have done everything that has been suggested.

Most of the help surrounds not syncing however the situation now is that it does sync and retrieve today's data but nothing between the 16th January and today.

Could someone from Fitbit please contact me because at the moment I have the most expensive step counting device in living history.

Thanks

Ken

Best Answer
0 Votes

Alright, let's clear things up so we won't get lost. On January 16th you set up your tracker with no problem, next day your phone was missing. A few days later, you got a new phone which is exactly the same model than the previous one. Right? 

What I need to double check is, when you got your phone and logged into your account, what did you do in the first place? Did you sync or try setting it up as a new device?

The thing is that a daily sync is recommended but not required. Most Fitbit trackers record detailed minute-by-minute data for seven days, so if you're able to sync weekly you should find all your data on your Fitbit dashboard. After seven days, Fitbit trackers can store daily totals for up to 30 days.

However, when you set up the tracker as a new device you'll loose all the previous data if you didn't have the chance to sync before the set up process. And you'll start seeing new data after completing this process, but there's no way to bring all the previous data unless you decide to manually log it.

Therefore, this is what I'd like to know.. did you sync or set up your tracker first @Kennyx?

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
Hi
I believe I tried to sync it first.
To be honest I've tried to do so many things it's getting very confusing.
KEN
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi

This is what I believe happened after giving it some thought.

I synced the new phone and got that day's data.

I looked for the previous day's (this was my experience of the app) and there wasn't any to be displayed it was then that I started to find out where it was.

I must have added the phone then.

Ken

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ok, I was asking that because I had a similar experience when I upgraded my phone. I sold my previous phone, but I was waiting for the new one to arrive. I didn't have the chance to sync with other phones or even with a computer, so I didn't sync for over a week or so. 

When I got my phone, I was so excited to set everything up that I made the mistake of setting up my tracker as a new device instead of just syncing it. Because of this, I lost all my previous information. This is the same when you get your tracker for the first time, sometimes because of movements or things like that, so your tracker shows information even when you haven't put it on yet. However, when you pair it to your account, the only information you're gonna see on your Dashboard will be from the day you linked it, not the previous data. I don't pretty sure is this is making sense and I don't wanna confuse you. 

However, if this is what happened to you as I mentioned before, the only way to bring your data back is by manually logging it. But if this is not your case, to better understand what happened is by getting in touch with Customer Support directly so they can do a deeper investigation and see where the issue may be coming from. 

In case you decide to manually log your activities, see this post of @SantiR to get the instructions for that. 

You'll be in good hands! 

Best Answer

Hi, did you ever find a solution? I'm having the exact same problem. I got a new phone, and it won't sync. I chatted with people at Fitbit. They took me through the standard troubleshooting, and when that didn't work, they suggested I throw out my tracker and buy a new one. What!? There's not to be a solution!

Best Answer

@noramiriam Welcome! It's great to see you around! Sorry to hear that your tracker isn't syncing with your phone. Which phone are you using? Is it compatibleYou can try going to your phone's bluetooth settings and remove all devices listed there. Restart your phone and restart your device. After this try syncing them. Also, if you are using an Android device, check that your app has the necessary permissions (settings > apps > Fitbit > permissions) and make sure bluetooth and location services (GPS) are on.

Let me know how it goes!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes