Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't turn off Connected GPS

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I allowed connected GPS when I set up my Charge 2 (syncing with my Samsung Galaxy S7) a few weeks back.  However, I don't need it all the time for cycling so I thought I would turn it off for now.

On the app, I went to Account >> Charge 2 >> Exercise Shortcuts >> Bike (which says "Connected GPS") underneath it in the list.  The only option under "Bike" is Connected GPS, which is currently turned on.  I turn it off and the switch goes grey.  I use the back arrow to go back to the list and when I get there, it still says "Bike (Connected GPS)" so I tap that again, and sure enough the switch is turned back on again.  I have the same issue with Run, Walk and Hike.  I can't turn off Connected GPS for any of them.

So I have to make sure I turn off Bluetooth whenever I do any of those exercises if I don't want my Fitbit to use Connected GPS.  I've tried resetting the app by clearing all its data and logging in again, but that didn't work.  I've tried restarting the phone and the Fitbit too.

I couldn't find any mention of this on the community site, so is it just me...?

Best Answer
31 REPLIES 31

I see mine doing the same thing, try doing it through the web, then use the phone to sync.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the suggestion.  I think I did explore doing it via the web before, but when I go to my Charge 2's settings, then exercise shortcuts, all I can do is change the order of the exercises: there's no indication of whether Connected GPS is on for any of them.  Am I looking in the wrong place?

Best Answer
0 Votes

From that page,either on the app or web, you can re-order, add, or remove exercises. Next to the exercise like run, you should see GPS connected that is if it is. You already know about tapping on the exercise.

Best Answer

On the website, I can reorder, add and remove exercises, but there's nothing that even mentions Connected GPS.  Clicking on an exercise either does nothing (when reordering) or adds/removes it (when adding and removing).  I've tried on Chrome as well as Firefox (which is my usual browser) but both are the same: Connected GPS not mentioned anywhere in the device settings (as far as I can see -- but certainly not in the exercise shortcuts section).

Best Answer

I have the same issue. Would love to know a fix for this...

Best Answer

Through the app - tap on the picture of your tracker - now tap Exercise Shortcuts - now tap the exert use that you want to turn gps off. Screenshot_2017-07-29-02-32-18.png

Best Answer

Thanks, but as previously discussed, although this should work, it doesn't: Connected GPS remains enabled.

Best Answer

@rmwiseman there will not be a mention on the website, GPS is a phone app only option.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same problem here. No matter how many times I "disable" gps, it refuses to actually turn off...

Best Answer

@Saroover @rmwiseman @m0nster It's great to have you here! Have you tried logging out from the app, restart your phone and then log back in? After this make the changes and save your settings to see if your phone stops using the Connected GPS option. You can also try @Rich_Laue's suggestion about turning off the bluetooth when using these options, just activate the option on your tracker (Bike, run, hike, etc.). 

Let me know how it goes!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the message @AlvaroFitbit.  I've had a support case open for a while now and we've tried various things including a complete re-installation of the app!  It has now been passed "to the appropriate team for investigation".  I'll post an update if I get a solution.

Best Answer

Thanks, no I didn't really think there would be, but your earlier post ("...try doing it through the web, then use the phone to sync.") suggested trying that so I thought it was worth a try!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Any update on this issue.? I so want to turn off the bike GPS as i use a indoor bike and ends up with a map and lines all around my house. Turn off GPS on phone but the data is saved on watch so when it update just adds the map then. So annoying.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@robworkingout  Try recording your indoor bike as Spinning.  No GPS involved.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

What I found out (Charge 2 with Galaxy S7):

I go to Exercise Shortcuts, choose the exercise and turn off the switch. When going on Exercise screen, there is still "Walk (Connected GPS)", however, if I sync with Charge 2 immediately, Charge 2 will not connect to my phone GPS (no phone icon, no dashes and no map in the app later, when walk is done). I tried with "always connected" on and off, also tried with Bike and Walk, it works the same. Seems to be a bug in the Android app - incorrect representation of the current status of the Connected GPS.

Best Answer
0 Votes

And to turn the Connected GPS back on, turn the switch to left (off), then turn it to the right (on), go back and sync.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the thoughts.  Strangely, I wondered the same thing yesterday: I went for a run (and told Fitbit I was going to have a run) and when I arrived home I checked the distance and it was completely wrong!  (I also used a proper GPS running watch, so the two should pretty much agree if both using GPS.)  So I wonder if you might be correct...

Best Answer

Hello @1200cc, im not following exactly what is being described. 

When changing the GPS setting for an event, your only changing a flag on the Fitbit server, not on your tracker. A sync is needed to be done for this change to get loaded onto the tracker.

The app should now show the GPS as being off, but it sounds like the app still says that it is on. Is this correct?

Best Answer
0 Votes

That (the last sentence) certainly seems to tie in with what I'm seeing and with my initial description.

Best Answer
0 Votes