Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you read your Charge 3 in direct sunlight?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

One of my big questions is how easy can you read your Charge 3 in direct sunlight. I don’t need a watch/tracker that I need to cup my hands over to read.

Moderator edit: subject for clarity

Best Answer
151 REPLIES 151

Hi all any updates on this issue im ok indoors but when on a walk well it may as well be at home this is my 4th fitbit quite disappointed that the most important function is useless when actually out using it for what it was designed for walking/running/swimming 

Best Answer

Hi @SEFR5626, welcome! It's nice to see you in the Community.

Thanks for letting me know that your Charge 3's screen is having this behavior. I know how you're feeling as your tracker was designed to be used outside during your activities. Since your post didn't mention, could you please confirm if you've tried adjusting the brightness level through your tracker's settings? In line with that, please restart your tracker and perform a long restart with the next steps:

1. Plug your device back into the charging cable and hold the button down for 15 seconds.
  2. The device turns on and shows a battery icon. Two vibrations occur: first a short vibration, then a medium vibration. 
  3. The device turns off.
  4. The device turns on and shows a progress bar and short vibrations occur. The progress bar completes. Note: A total of 7 short vibrations occur. 
  5. Remove the device from the charging cable. The device shuts down.
  6. Important: Plug the device into the charging cable again.

Keep me posted.

Best Answer

My Charge 3 was fine until the July firmware update. Since then the display is so dim I can only see it inside in low light on the brightest (“normal”) setting.  I called tech support a few months ago and they talked me through all the fixes they could think of and concluded by telling me that the next firmware update would include a bug fix for the issue I was having. I have been waiting for that update ever since. Any idea when that fix will happen? It’s very frustrating that I can’t use my device most of the time. Makes me regret buying it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @KG66. Welcome to the Community.

Thanks for letting me know about your Charge 3, as well for the time taken to troubleshoot it with our Support team. They've received feedback from our members about this situation and while there isn't a time frame, they're working hard to bring a solution as fast as possible. Be sure that your comments will be passed along to them.

I'll be around if you need anything else.

Best Answer

I was at my dentist and we were talking about our Fitbits and both of us had the same exact complaint. We cannot read our Fitbits outside. I hope that there is an update soon, as this problem has exists for several months.

Best Answer

Impossible!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the same frustration. I've had mine less than 6 months and have been training outdoors. Even finding shade then cupping my hand over it barely helps which in itself is super inconvenient and stalls my workout. I've been frustrated with this defect for too long.  This is my next gen of FitBit. When I was doing my research, this seemed to fit the bill for my needs at a reasonable price-point, but I have a trip to Machu Picchu in 2 1/2 weeks and it's not going to cut it. I'm going to have to buy a different brand and would like to request a refund.

Best Answer
You are absolutely correct, if Fitbit doesn’t care to make any changes then there is no alternative but to buy elsewhere. I am!
Best Answer

If there's anyone from FitBit monitoring this board, what is the best way to return the product for a refund? It's unusable outdoors!

Best Answer

Hi @LizzyFitbit

I cannot read my Fitbit Charge 3 screen in daylight. I have tried to set it to 'auto' and 'normal', without success.

Your instruction in this forum, confuses me in two ways. How could 'adjusting your brightness level' be 'in line with' a restart of the device. And how does the 8-second restart process in the link (A) relate to the 15-second process (B)?

Should I try A or B, or (A, next B)?

Take care, 

Rik

---

Best Answer

I did two things and it seems to have helped. Originally, i thought i could read the face outside and then it seemed terrible. But, I realized it might be the combination of the choice of face. I selected a different face (the bottom one) and set it to auto rather than normal, and it seems much brighter. I haven't been able to test in absolute sunshine, because it has been raining since my first post ;-}

Hope this works for those with this problem.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately neither of those worked for me. The brightness level is even lower on "auto" than it is on "normal", and a different clock face (I've tried most of them by now) didn't seem to help. I even tried another "factory reset" and set up to see if that helped, but it didn't. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks have tried this three times no success clearly there is a fault with the device or software update is required. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, there is much frustration out there, as the purpose of the watch is to measure my activities. Unfortunately for Fitbit I live in AZ and most of my activities are outdoors and it is sunny most of the time. Compared to the Fitbit 3 equivalent (Garmin) the one my friends have, they can clearly in the sun see all personal data. Etc. 

While I really enjoy the Fitbit 3, I hope their Senior leadership is listening and acknowledge the need to make the necessary updates, as the Normal - Dim selection aren’t enough. If we (consumer) need to charge the device a bit longer or more frequently, personally I can handle that.. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Tried this and still cannot see in sunlight. Please send me a message also if a solution is found - thanks 

Best Answer

I agree with other users, Charge 3 is impossible to read in sunshine regardless of brightness settings. Please let us know when/how this will be addressed

Best Answer

No, even changing the various faces, fully charged, did not make a difference. Still could not read the time. Could stop workout until I was in dark area...

Best Answer
0 Votes
Still no.. I just posted again..

Ted
Best Answer
0 Votes

I had same problem. It cannot be fixed. Contact support. They will make you try a few things and perhaps you will have to contact them more than once but eventually they will send you a replacement. 

Best Answer
Thanks Scott
Best Answer
0 Votes