Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 2 calories burned too high

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I just got my new Charge 2 on saturday so I've not tested it very long, but the calorie count on it seems WAY off. The BMR on it seems correct for my height/weight (1555) but then the calories burned when simply walking a bit are way too high.

Saturday, I went shopping for a few hours that got me around 10k steps in total. I also did a kickboxing workout (268 cals) and went biking (219 cals) and Fitbit calculated 3000 (!!!) calories burned that day. That just can't be right, when my BMR is only 1555 I should've burned 1445 cals with exercise according to Fitbit. Subtract the kickboxing and biking (which is way higher intensity than the walking, calories for that seem correct) from that and that leaves 958 calories burned for walking +/- 10.000 steps.

Has anyone else had this problem? I've Googled for a bit and it seems it was a problem back when the first Charge HR was released too, but I couldn't find a solution. I love the Fitbit and the app but it seems when it takes the constant HR into account when you're not very fit it just overestimates by a WAY too high number. If I ate what Fitbit is telling me I can eat, I'd gain an incredible amount of weight in a very short time.

The numbers I got when I was just counting steps without heart rate (using my phone, before I got my Fitibit) was way closer to the actual number I should be getting for something as easy-going as walking while shopping.

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
168 REPLIES 168

Your caloric burn for the day includes calories burned at rest, including sleep.

Best Answer
I realisw that, that's what the 1555 cals are, my BMR. But that still leaves nearly the same amount of calories burned with not that much exercise. That's the part that seems way too high.
Best Answer

On your dashboard, you can look at calories burned throughout the day to see how many calories at what time of day.  That might help you better analyze what Fitbit was giving you credit for.  Also I wonder if it might improve calories burned calculation after a few days to get your resting heart rate.  Also remember it's not just steps that burn calories.  Just being on your feet raises your heart rate enough to be burning more calories that your BMR.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
I've been trying to figure out the very same thing since I got the Charge 2.

The amount of Calories being burnt is crazy. Since I reset about ten hours ago I've burn about 909 calories! Being mostly in bed?

I use fitbit along side fitbit and I've no idea how to calculate what I'm correctly burning compared to what I'm eating.
Best Answer

That actually does seem correct though. You burn calories by doing nothing, it's your BMR. I for example burn around 1550 calories if I were to do absolutely nothing all day. So a good night's sleep could easily get you those 900 calories, depending on your weight/height/age. 

Best Answer
It just seems mad! I'm about 172 pounds 6ft 4 and I'm 30.

How is it calculated threw fitbit to my fitness pal then? I get this really high amount burned everyday but I rarely go over 1800 calories eaten
Best Answer
0 Votes

According to BMR calculators you burn around 1850 calories every day just being alive. Any moving around will add to that. At the end of the day, you have a number of calories burned total - let's say 2500. That means you burned 650 calories with additional exercise. The number 2500 is sent to MFP. MFP has it's own estimate of your calories burned based on the activity status you selected (Sedentary/Lightly active/Active/Very active) + any exercises you added to your profile. The number it receives from Fitbit (2500) is then compared to the MFP number and if there's a difference, a adjustment will be made (postive or negative) to adjust the calories burned for the day. So if MFP says you burn 2000 a day according to your stats, Fitbit will add an adjustment of 500 calories to your profile.

That all works fine, the problem I had though is that the calories burned from light exercise (like walking) is way overestimated if my heart rate is a bit high. I know a higher heart rate can make you burn more calories, but not this much for something as light as walking. It is said though that it takes a while for your Fitbit to get used to your (resting) heart rate and it'll get more accurate after a while. Let's hope that's true 🙂

Best Answer

I'm beginning to wonder that, myself. Fitbit says I burned over 3600 calories yesterday, and while I did go for a run (mileage for which it has been grossly underestimating) and moved a couch from one floor to another, 3600? Really? I'm not so sure about that. I have a Charge 2.

Best Answer

I think mine is slowly starting to get more accurate, but it's still overestimating by 400 or something I think. Yesterday it said I burned 3000. While I think the exercise (biking & kickboxing yesterday) burn is quite accurate (seems the same on Endomondo & on my prevriously Apple Watch) the overall burn for steps or even just sitting around with a heart rate a little higher than usual seems overestimated. With my Apple Watch/UP or even just the Fitbit step counting without HR I'd be at about 2500/2600 for yesterday. 

As for you.. running does burn a lot of calories but 3600 does seem awfully high, unless you ran for like 2 hours 😛

I do think my Fitbit will get it eventually, as it's already a lot more accurate than it was when I first got it. I guess we'll just have to be patient. 

Best Answer
I'll have to start really keeping an eye on it. The whole checking my calories intake and burnt when more important things I follow each day.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Have you guys used previous Fitbits before? It's not unheard of for me to burn 5100+ calories in a single day... I don't know why you're all so hesitant to think it's accurate.

LisannevdL wrote: 

As for you.. running does burn a lot of calories but 3600 does seem awfully high, unless you ran for like 2 hours 😛

No, not at all...

Best Answer

Why are we hesitant to think it's accurate? You sort of answered that question yourself. Unless you're running an insane amount of miles every day, or you have an intensely physical job, there simply isn't any possible way you're burning 5100+ calories in a single day.

Best Answer

It might not be unheard of for you, but your build is very different from mine. I haven't used a Fitbit before but I have used activity trackers of other manufacturers that calculate in the same way (without HR). I've used an UP for nearly a year and afterwards an Apple Watch and those came pretty close to eachother in terms of calories burned. On top of that, I've been accurately logging my food intake over the past 1,5 year so I KNOW how much I can eat in order to lose weight/maintain my weight and that doesn't come anywhere close to 3000 cals+, even when I'm active. On an average day where I bike my commute + do another intese workout I get to 2500-2600 cals at most. I just can't imagine I burn 500 cals more from light activity like walking purely based on HR data, when I've been maintaining my weight based on 500 calories less. 

Best Answer
I’m a 21 year old 200 lbs male who walks 10 miles a day and runs 1 mile a day. I don’t think that’s an insane distance, and I sure burn a lot of calories…
Best Answer

Hi Lisa,

I just got my Charge 2 a week ago and have used Fitbits for several years.  This one definitely seems to be way overestimating my calorie burn.

Is there a setting somehwhere to add in a calorie 'adjustment' to compensate?

The previos FitBits I have owned did not have heart rate monitoring.  They seemed to calculate calorie burn far more accurately.  I am wondering about the HR accuray...

Thanks!

Best Answer

Yea but you're male and roughly 40 lbs heavier than me. That matters a LOT in terms of calories burned both BMR and from activity. 

Best Answer
1800 calories today so far. I work as a chef so ya I'm on my feet all day but still. Yesterday was 3264. No excersise just long day of work.
Best Answer

I am agreeing with you!  The calorie burn for me is way too high...

Best Answer

Thanks for the reply bernardmac! This is indeed what I'm experiencing too! From previous experiences with other monitors this one seems to overestimate the calories based soley on HR. I don't burn more calories sitting when my HR happens to go up a bit, but it does seem to think so right now.

The HR does seem accurate though, since its about the same as my HR Chest monitor strap. It's just the calorie burn doing light activity that is overestimated in my experience.

I haven't found any way around it other than adjusting my measurements.. but that kinda defeats the purpose.

Best Answer