Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 2 doesn't charge and it's getting hot

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Charge 2 is a year and a half old. It has not been mistreated but it suddenly stopped working and has a black screen. It will not charge and only gets hot. I have tried the suggested charging for 2 hours and then pressing the button and it doesn’t restart. I am very disappointed that this device is only good for a year and a half. I cannot spend that much money to replace it every year and a half. It worked flawlessly until it just died. Any other suggestions ? My app now says no internet connection. My internet connection is fine. Let me

know if there is a way to fix this. My husband got his at the same time and his is fine. Only difference is he doesn’t track his sleep ? 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @16giraffes! Sorry to hear about the inconveniences you've been having with your Charge 2. 

Since your Fitbit tracker is getting hot while or after charging it, I have reached out to our support team and created a case regarding your inquiry. Someone will be reaching out to you within the next 24-72 hours with next steps. Smiley Very Happy

Thanks for your help my friend @SteveH

Point me out if there's anything else I can do for you in the meantime. 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
17 REPLIES 17

If you are in Europe then you will still be within warranty (it's 2 years in Europe, 1 year elsewhere) so you could contact customer support to see if they can help and, if not, discuss your warranty options.

You could try the restart a few more times as it's known to not always work. Can I just check that these are instructions you followed (it wasn't clear in your post that you held the button long enough):

1. Plug the charging cable into the USB port on your computer or any UL-certified USB wall charger.
  2. Clip the other end of the charging cable to the port on the back of the tracker. The pins on the charging cable must lock securely with the port.
  3. Make sure the button on your tracker is aligned with the button opening on the charging cable. You’ll know the connection is secure when the tracker vibrates and you see a battery icon on your tracker’s display. Your Charge 2 will begin charging.
  4. Press and hold the button on your tracker for four seconds. When you see the Fitbit logo and the tracker vibrates, this means the tracker has restarted.
  5. Unplug your tracker from the charging cable.

Even if you are out of warranty it might still be worth contacting customer support to see if they can help in any way: contact.fitbit.com

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @16giraffes! Sorry to hear about the inconveniences you've been having with your Charge 2. 

Since your Fitbit tracker is getting hot while or after charging it, I have reached out to our support team and created a case regarding your inquiry. Someone will be reaching out to you within the next 24-72 hours with next steps. Smiley Very Happy

Thanks for your help my friend @SteveH

Point me out if there's anything else I can do for you in the meantime. 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit asked me to return the Charge 2 to them because it was overheating !

They sent me a return label and I returned it last Friday. I am waiting to find out what the next step will be. 

Thanks for helping me with this issue. 

Best Answer

This solution did not work for me because the Charge 2 was overheating a lot. Thanks Steve for getting a ticket created. I received a return label from a moderator and I returned the Fitbit Charge 2 last Friday per the instructions. 

I am now waiting to see what the solution will be. Thanks again!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

My Charge 2 has just stopped working in the same manner. I have written to the support team. I'm curious if you have heard back from them yet, and what the final resolution was for your watch. Also, if you are in Europe, which country did you have to send the watch to?

Thank you. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi,
In answer to your question I sent mine back to an address in the US and it took a while for them to evaluate it. They did send me a new Charge 2, band and charger. I was extremely happy with their response.
They even paid my return shipping by sending me a prepaid label. Only thing I would have done differently would be I sent the original box it came in, which I didn’t get back. I usually like to keep the original box on items like this. But no big deal because I will be wearing the Fitbit.
I live in the US so technically my warranty was up but they stood by their product
because it shouldn’t have failed that soon.
I am very pleased with this company and recommend you contact them about your Charge 2 as well.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

My Fitbit is about 4 months old and it started getting hot on my wrist, then nothing. It won’t charge or anything. Anytime I try to charge it it gets hot to the touch. Anyone have any solutions for it?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello,

I have been having a similar problem with my Charge 2. It has been on the charger all weekend and shows that is is charging but will not actually charge and is overheating. It's about 2.5 years old, not sure what the lifetime expectancy is.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Mine was a year and a half and when I contacted the company they decided
to replace it. I'm not sure they will do that for you but it is worth a
try. There may have been a bad batch out there.Be careful with the
overheating as you would not like to cause an electrical fire.

Virus-free.
www.avast.com

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
Best Answer
0 Votes

My fitbit alta has died and when I plug it in to charge, nothing happens but it keeps getting very hot. I bought a new charging cable but this has not made any difference. Can you please advise? Kind regards,

Best Answer
0 Votes

@EmmaMayGreen Best thing to do is to contact customer support via the following link. They can check your warranty status and advise on your options: contact.fitbit.com 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same problem as @16giraffes. Could you send me the next steps as well? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having a similar issue w my fitbit Charge 2.  cleaned the sensor terminals and charger cable. the charge 2 is getting HOT, but not charging.  doesnt even buzz when I connect it to charging cable

please help!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine was charging erratically, then started getting HOT while not charging.  Mine was two years old.  (Charge 2).  this just happened over 4th of July weekend.  Everyone else seems to be getting a replacement . .   All i got was 25% off on certain models 😕   Guess i got the wrong Customer Service department

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have this exact problem too. Can you help with a solution? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I think at this point the best thing to do is call Customer Service as mentioned in the “Best Answer” comment above. They’ll (most-likely) will offer you some % off the purchase of a new one, such as the Fitbit 3.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes