Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 2 not recording stairs

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Charge2 is not recording my stairs. 

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
161 REPLIES 161

wish the manufacturer would FIX the Fitbit!!

Best Answer
0 Votes
The issue with stairs often leads me to question the other measurements
like step counts, sleep records, etc​
Best Answer
0 Votes

Changes in elevation are one of the hardest things to measure especially when we are talking about a rise of only 10 feet and the barometer is only a pin hole. It is like measuring the speed of a boat by sticking you finger in the water. 

Considering that the atmosphere is 1,584,000 feet. However most of it is within 10 miles or 52,800 and we want to measure it in 10 feet increments. The higher you go. the greater the change in air pressure will be with the change of 10 feet. This is not a linear change. 

The atmospheric pressure at sea level is about 14.7 psi and at 10 feet it is 14.68 psi. However this is if the hole in the tracker was 1 X 1 inch. But the hole in the tracker is a lot smaller than an inch. This means the change in pressure on the Fitbit is closer to the weight of 2 inch square piece of paper. 

Now we can add the effects of an approaching storm and its drop in pressure, or a window open as the wind blows through, or a car with windows open. In all of these situations the pressure can easily drop 1 or 2 psi and giving several false floors. Mother Nature is not nice when it comes to the air pressure. 

If you have a newer iPhone, you have a barometer in your hand, simply install the barometer app and you can see the changes as you walk up the stairs .

Fitbit does have one ace up its sleeve. It does not look for changes in air pressure unless it detects the user is walking .

But pushing a wheel chair or carriage, sliding your arm up the railing while walking up the stairs will keep the tracker from seeing that the user is walking, and no floors will be counted. 

The problem with the barometer as an altimeter is not that the technology is bad, we simply don't have anything better. Airplanes still depend on this same technology. and they still need to recalibrate their altimeter several times during a single flight of a thousand miles. 

Yes we now have GPS but it requires signals from at least 6 satellites to get your altitude with position. And 6 strong signals may not always be locked on. 

Best Answer

Sorry Sir  but all this hahaha about barometric pressure has not a thing to do with the Fitbit recording stairs, steps, and everything else! And your info on airplanes and pressure certainly has NOT A THING to correlate with our devices. Sorry but I just had to comment. 🤓

Best Answer
0 Votes

Actually since stairs are counted by barometric pressure my post has everything to do with counting stairs.

I only added the airplane bit, because for a 100 years they have been using, and still do use, the exact same technology that Fitbit uses .Yet even after 100 years, as you say, they still haven't got it to work either. However i notice that this doesn't stop people from getting on the plane. 

One more point, Fitbit has never used stairs in any calculation but to display on the wcreensan anti a few users. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

LOL!! Well That is amazing!! Thanks!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone! It seems some clarification is need in regards on how your Charge 2 record your stairs. As @Rich_Laue has explained your tracker will use the atmospheric pressure changes to detect that you have go up 10 ft. For every ten ft you will be awarded 1 floor. There are some instances in which there can be change in pressure on your surroundings without you actually climbing stairs. For example, windy weather, storms (which are accompanied by change in pressure), airplanes cabins pressurizing and depressurizing, air conditioners (the constant change in air flow can be detected by the altimeter on your Charge 2) are just a few examples. I personally don't see major changes nor see too many floors but this can be different for everyone. As a reference you can check the help site as it mentions the following:

"HOW DOES MY FITBIT DEVICE COUNT FLOORS?

Fitbit devices that count floors have an altimeter sensor that can detect when you're going up or down in elevation. Your device registers one floor when you climb about 10 feet at one time. It does not register floors when you go down.

Fitbit devices do not count the elevation gains simulated from a StairMaster, inclined treadmill, or other stationary exercise equipment. Your device uses changes in barometric pressure to detect elevation change, and therefore requires that you physically change elevation in order to properly record floors."

In general for a proper floor count you will need to climb the required 10 ft in one fluid motion and allow your tracker to detect that you are walking (so try not to grab the handrail if you can allow this, if for safety you do this then please continue as this is more important than anything else).

You can also try cleaning your tracker's altimeter hole with some cotton and rubbing alcohol. Clean the surrounding area and let it dry, after this you can try using compressed air at a few inches distance to clear any dirt or debris that may be obstructing it.

Charge 2 altimeter.jpg

Finally if you are still having issues either counting floors or them not showing then you can try restarting your Charge 2 by doing the following:

Plug the charging cable to your computer or UL certified wall adapter.
Align the contacts of the tracker with the charging cable and plug it in making sure it snaps securely.
Your tracker should start charging.
Press the button for 10 to 12 seconds.
You should see your tracker's firmware version and you can now unplug your tracker.

Let me know how it goes!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer
Please tell me where the sensor for the stairs is so I can clean it?

I have already re-set it 3 times & I am fully aware of the 10ft. I walked 200 or so up stairs on a cliff in Bournemouth & the steps did not register.

Thanks,

Di Healey
Best Answer
0 Votes

why does every comment about stairs come to me? complained about this over a year ago, and for some reason have begun getting new complaints that should not come to just me. Why isn't the Fitbit designers answering all these people?

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
0 Votes
I am getting all these too and I really am past caring - I know its an issue and my body gives me credit even if Fitbit is screwed up . I am not responding anymore. It would be great if it got fixed but I’m beyond trying to get Fitbit’s attention. If they don’t want future business so be it.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

@Saintlygirl look at the back of the Charge 2, you will find a tiny hole, that is your altimeters. 

@MenaJoy67 and @cops apparently you are still subscribed to this thread. 

Open one of the emails. then go to the bottom of the page. Click on unsubscribe. 

Best Answer
Same here!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Yep. Found it. Thank you.

Di Healey
Best Answer
0 Votes
I Love Being in the Community! Don't wish to unsubscribe!!Love all the wonderful ppl and your awesome suggestions!! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey guys! I hope you are doin' great! 

@Saintlygirl, sounds great that you have found it. I hope your floors are well tracked now. If you have further questions, let me know! 

@MenaJoy67@Golfergirltoo and @cops, just like my friend @Rich_Laue, if you are subscribed to the thread, you'll keep getting notifications when someone posts in here, but you can unsubscribe anytime. 😉 

If you have further questions guys, let me know! 

Heydy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer
0 Votes
Oh thanks!! But, I am enjoying all the wonderful info! 😀

Best Answer
0 Votes
It's all sorted now thanks all.

Di Healey
Best Answer
0 Votes

I know @MenaJoy67, a lot of great tips are always shared here in the Community! And if you'd like to share something else, feel free to do so. 

@Saintlygirl, sounds pretty great my friend! If you have further questions or comments, let me know! 

Have a nice day! 

Heydy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank YOU, SaintlyGirl, for the nice comment!! And of course, Moderator!! LOL

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Charge2 is not counting my flights of stairs. It used to, but it hasn't for a few weeks now. It used to count the flights of stairs in my house, but now nothing shows. Also, I went to Seven Falls last week and went up 121 stairs. It didn't count a single flight for those.

Best Answer
0 Votes