Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 2 ships without dongle

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Why does the Charge 2 not ship with a dongle? Does the Charge 2 not need one or do I use the dongle from another Fitbit device? Or does a dongle have to be purchased separately?

Best Answer
2 BEST ANSWERS

Accepted Solutions

Hello @evet and @Annabel398 - The new Fitbit devices are not being shipped with dongles, although dongles can be used. They can be synced with any computer that has Bluetooth.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer

@Ozzie65 is right, a lot of computers don't need a dongle in order to sync with Fitbit trackers. The most current version of Fitbit Connect for Mac and the Windows 10 App supports syncing using a computer's native Bluetooth, click here for more information@evet @Annabel398

I'd also recommend making sure that you have the most current version of either the Windows 10 App or Fitbit Connect installed on your computer. Click here to download the most current version of both

Additionally, you can double check to see if your mobile device is compatible with syncing Fitbit trackers here.

Derrick | Retired Moderator, Fitbit

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
106 REPLIES 106

I second this question. I was thinking of buying one for a non-smartphone-equipped relative, but he will need a dongle to sync to his computer. I have an Alta dongle which I never use, because my cellphone is practically surgically implanted. Can the Charge 2 use the Alta dongle?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @evet and @Annabel398 - The new Fitbit devices are not being shipped with dongles, although dongles can be used. They can be synced with any computer that has Bluetooth.

Best Answer

@Ozzie65 is right, a lot of computers don't need a dongle in order to sync with Fitbit trackers. The most current version of Fitbit Connect for Mac and the Windows 10 App supports syncing using a computer's native Bluetooth, click here for more information@evet @Annabel398

I'd also recommend making sure that you have the most current version of either the Windows 10 App or Fitbit Connect installed on your computer. Click here to download the most current version of both

Additionally, you can double check to see if your mobile device is compatible with syncing Fitbit trackers here.

Derrick | Retired Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer
Very interested in this new device, as upgrade from my Flex
I have an iPad that syncs, but I also have a PC Windows 7 and a dongle for the Flex.
Will.this new Charge sync to the PC through the dongle?
Does the old Charge sinc with a dongle?
Or will it only sync to my iPad?
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi @NancyP - you should be able to sync through either the iPad or PC.
Best Answer
They are assuming that people have the newest computer with bluetooth or only use their phone to sync.

Kristina | Ohio

Charge HR, One – Windows 7, iPhone 5

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@Annabel398 wrote:

Can the Charge 2 use the Alta dongle?

@Annabel398 yes. Double check to be sure the computer is supported, as Fitbit is moving to Windows 10 and I don't know about the current version of Mac OS X support (because I use my iPhone to sync).

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer

my PC is 'older' Windows 7 - and I have no interest to update to 10.

No bluetooth.

SO....If I already have a dongel (from my Flex), will this new Charge2 sync to the PC using that?

or wil it only sync with my iPad?

I do not have a smart phone...live in the boonies with no cel service!

Best Answer
You can sync via the dongle on your PC.
Best Answer

@NancyP wrote:

SO....If I already have a dongel (from my Flex), will this new Charge2 sync to the PC using that?

Yes, the latest Fitbits are backward-compatible with the Bluetooth dongle that shipped with older Fitbits, so if you happen to have one, you can continue using it.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I have multiple dongles I don't use but when I go to work the secretaries have theirs set up and my tracker synchs with it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Call Support - they'll ship you a complimentary dongle.

Got my Charge 2 yesterday - jury's still out on whether it's worth the 3x more than my old $50 Craigslist Charge HR 🐵

Disappointed that with the larger screen there isn't an option in preferences for larger font sizes for sight impaired users.  In 'Clock Face' there's a great large font clock face - but doesn't carry over to the exercise stats.  :o( 

Best Answer

Can you see the other readouts outside?  I can't with the Alta and may switch.

Best Answer
0 Votes

A USB bluetooth dongle (if your computer does not have bluetooth) is worth hardly nothing these days. Check on eBay...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Please help... just received my new Charge 2 today and am excited to use it... but when I try to connect to Fitbit Connect, it is absolutely insisting that I need to use a dongle. It is infuriating that I cannot set this up and begin using it now. I had an older Charge HR but I lost the dongle. It is my understanding that the Charge 2 does not need one. If it does need one, it should have been included in the box. Any ideas please?

Edited to add: I have a new iMac so all software is up to date.

Best Answer
Hi,
Sorry to hear u in same situation I faced. I was infuriated also.... afterwards less so. But 1st :

Fitbit r betting on users having either a recent model blue tooth enabled (a) mobile device [smart phone, iPad etc] or (b) computer. Using blue tooth on either of those will enable u to download their app and be happy.

Either way, find the Fitbit.com Service/ customer help contact info page
Best Answer
Do what I did - order one from Fitbit. Try for 45 days free & return it for $3ish shipping if it's not good enough for u.

Re your question - I'm happy enough to be leaning 90% there with keeping mine. I like the little reminder to move 250 steps/ hr & the breathing/ relaxation thing. Though gimmicky in some people's eyes, it's a sweet value added in my quest for better health.

Blessings, Adam
Best Answer
Fitbit'll send u one free. Just reach out to them
Best Answer

@vampyreska You should be able to do a forced sync if you have it connected with the charger cable to the computer. A bit cumbersome but that works for me. But the best solution was to remove my old Charge HR still not emptied of power far away and then to use the Charge HR dongle for syncing the Charge 2. Because before that the dongle would only sync with the not in use fitbit Charge HR 🙂

Aria, Charge 5, and Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite (Android One) user.
Best Answer
0 Votes