Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 2 won’t hold a charge

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My fitbit will charge, however it dies within 20 minutes on a good day, and then it gives me a battery with an exclamation in the center. I’ve left my fitbit on charge for 2 hours to overnight, and it’ll tell me I have 100%, but then it diminishes quickly. I’ve restarted it at least 20 times and it still won’t work. Has this happened to anyone else? It isn’t even a year old yet! 

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
22 REPLIES 22

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @LilZeiPunk, hope you're doing great! Woman Very Happy Thanks for already restarting your tracker, nice way to go! Consider these tips when you want to conserve battery life:

• If you use the Fitbit app, make sure All-Day Sync is turned off. All-Day Sync increases battery drain on both your tracker and mobile device. 
  • If you don't need heart rate data, change the Heart Rate setting to Off. When you turn it back on, use Auto. 
  • Turn off Quick View. Since it causes the screen to light up when you turn your wrist towards you, turning this setting off may prolong battery life. 
  • Don't receive reminders to move every hour. To get fewer reminders, make sure you walk 250 steps each hour, change the number of hours you want your stationary time monitored, or turn off the feature on days you don't need it.
  • Turn call, text, or calendar notifications off if you know you're going to receive many hundreds of notifications. A large volume reduces battery life. 
  • If you have many silent alarms set, consider deleting some. Each alarm you add up to the maximum of 8 reduces battery life by a small percentage. 
  • Don't charge your tracker in extreme heat or cold. 

On the other hand, it seems that you're getting that exclamation mark due to a failed update on your Charge 2. In order to fix what you're getting on your screen, please try doing the following:

• Make sure that your Fitbit app is up-to-date (Android, iOS)
  • Log out of your Fitbit app
  • Force quit the app
  • Restart your Charge 2
  • Turn off the Bluetooth
  • Shut off your phone and turn it on after 1-2 minutes
  • Turn on the Bluetooth
  • Log back into your Fitbit app
  • Update the Firmware version of your Charge 2 
  • Sync right after finishing the update

Give it a shot and let me know if you notice improvements on your Charge 2's battery life! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

Having same problem recently. Just got this for Christmas and wearing past 4 weeks. Got a new one only because my old model band broke - I used it for 2 years. I plug this into a cord and into the wall sometimes doesn't even charge when plugged all night

Best Answer
0 Votes

why have it if you want the settings turned off. I am having the same issues with the charge not holding after having for a year. I find it unacceptable to have to turn to OFF to use it. Maybe a recall is needed. 

Best Answer

I finally contacted Fitbit directly and they ended up doing their diagnostics and it turned out to be a glitch or something wrong in the device. They replaced it for me

Best Answer
Thanks I will contact them

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

@wensny @LilZeiPunk Welcome to the Fitbit Community! I hope you're doing well!

@wensny Sorry to hear that your tracker isn't holding its charge. Try cleaning the contacts then charge it by plugging it for a couple of hours directly to your computer's usb port (try different ports) or use an UL listed usb wall adapter. After this restart your device.

@LilZeiPunk happy to hear that you got a replacement from Support.

Let me know how it goes!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes
None of this helped won’t even charge now

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Hey @wensny, I appreciate you have taken the time to try to fix this issue with your Charge 2 not charging. Since the issue persists, I have escalated your case with our Support team so they can take a look and further assist you. So please keep an eye on your inbox. 

I'll be around! 

Heydy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did they replace it free?

Best Answer
0 Votes
No it was out of warranty

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

You can get replacement bands for much cheaper than replacing the whole thing.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My charge 2 does the exact same thing. I have done everything that is suggested.  Cleaned it, restarted it, charged it from my computer, and 4 different wall chargers. I've only had it less than 6 months. It worked perfectly until yesterday.  It won't hold a charge from 100% for more than 20 to 30 minutes 

Best Answer

@Seanap2 Welcome to the Fitbit Community! I hope you're doing well! Sorry for the delay in my reply.

Let me help you with your Charge 2 not holding a charge and thank you for troubleshooting this issue. I suggest you let our Support team know about this. I noticed that you already have a ticket with them so keep working with the team to find a solution.

Let me know how it goes.

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Alvarofitbit can only offer basic ‘clean points’ as a solution. There are MANY comments about a problem with battery life of the Charge 2 and you have also failed to respond to my messages on this problem. Appalling customer service...there ought to be a recall on this my 5 year old original flex can still charge and hold power.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Exact same thing doesn’t hold a charge after 15 mins.  Fix it Fitbit or I’m changing to another brand

Best Answer

I received a Charge Fitbit as a gift in November 2019.  I used it daily and then in April 2020, it just quit holding a charge.  I have turned my phone on and off, cleaned the contacts, used both a wall charger and have plugged it into the computer.  When I unplug it, it holds a charge for about 15 minutes, then....nothing.  Won't even turn on.

Just bought a new Inspire HR....hoping it lasts longer.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It will. Fitbit knows there's a problem with the battery but won't fix it.
Other models don't seem to have that issue.

Best Answer

Got the same problem. 

Had Charge 2 for ~ 2.5 years (upgrade bought from Fitbit on Guarantee as replacement for Charge 1 which broke within a year). 

Suddenly in the middle of the night battery went to zero charge.   

Left it on charge for 30 minutes and says 100% charged. 

Within 5 minutes, back to ZERO charge. 

Repeated the process several times, same result.

Tried full re-set. Same result.

Guess there is a battery problem.   

That is the end of my relationship with Fitbit alas.  I love the HR monitor, love the sleep stats, but I cannot afford a new device every 2 years.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had a Charge 2 for 4.5 years. Wear it all the time, really like it. Yesterday it just died, black screen, won’t wake up. Put it on charger and screen wakes up, shows battery was drained. Charges up to 100% again, quicker than it should. Take it off. Can use it for a short while, maybe 15 minutes or so, then it is dead again. Put on charger and battery shows drained once again.  Can I replace the battery? Fitbit is still in great shape, seems a waste to throw it away because battery seems to be malfunctioning. Recommendations? 

Best Answer