Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 3 activity tracker not recording active minutes

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Anyone else having this issue? After a 3 mile hike up a mountain, I look down and see I have 7500 steps, 24 floors, and zero active minutes. 

Best Answer
207 REPLIES 207

Hi @n_ewart and @ShannaS. It's great to hear from you.

@ShannaS, thanks for stopping by to help our friend. I totally see your point of view and appreciate you for trying other options to get your information syncing correctly. I'm sure others will find your post helpful.

@n_ewart, thanks for getting back and I've requested a new case for your. Our Support Team will contact you back via email with more information about this, so make sure to check your inbox.

I'll be around if you need anything else.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry - but the "official explanation" of why the ACTIVE MINUTES are not registering does not apply in my case. The Fitbit 3 is accurately tracking my heart rate... but despite a 5-k run, much of which was at PEAK heart rate levels, my daily summary shows ZERO active minutes.  I never once had this problem with the Fitbit 2... and I've already tried rebooting the device... reinstalling the iPhone App... checking on the tracking of heart rate, etc... So please, give me a solution for WHY I average 155 "active minutes" a day until TODAY (according to the software of the Fitbit Charge 3?)>?

Best Answer

Hi @EricParkinson1, welcome to our Community Forums.

Thanks for reviewing the information about how the active minutes are registered, as well for confirming that your heart rate was in peak zone during your activity. I also appreciate your efforts in troubleshooting your Charge 3, including the restart which will help to refresh your device's performance. I'm not quite sure why your device didn't register active minutes when it has done it before, but be sure that I'm here to help you. Since you mentioned to have ran 5 kilometers, may I know if you stopped at any moment? Also, just to confirm, were your heart rate readings and calories burned accurate?

I'll look forward to your reply.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is not the solution. What is happening is when we manually enter workouts, it counts towards "days of weekly exercise" and NOT "minutes", but when you let the fitbit auto recognize it counts towards "days of weekly exercise" AND "minutes. Same workout- just different way of input. This defeats the purpose of ever manually entering workouts if you want to rack up active minutes.

Best Answer

The FitBit programming change to NOT recognize "active" minutes until AFTER 10-continuous minutes is a major programming flaw. It does not take into consideration a very powerful workout style of "windsprints" / "grass-drills" in which EXTREMELY vigourous exercise occurs for 4 to 5-minutes (always pushing the heart rate into PEAK territories)... followed by 2-3 minutes of reoxygenation / rest.  I was pretty surprised to see that after a series of vigorous windsprints earlier this week (which pushed my heart rate into having 12 minutes of PEAK use)... did NOT register as even a SINGLE MINUTE of "activity" under this incredibly stupid programming flaw.  Come on FITBIT programmers... get with it!  Activity is activity... even if it's only four-to-five insane minutes at a time!!!!!

Best Answer

I gave up and got a Garmin.   So far it has 100% strike rate.   This was my 3rd Fitbit, and what a poor experience.

Best Answer
Which Garmin did you decide to get?
Best Answer
0 Votes

Vivoactive 3 - it's not that more expensive and seems good.  

Best Answer

Hi @Katburgh, welcome on board. It's nice to see you around @EricParkinson1, @n_ewart and @ShannaS

@Katburgh, thanks for letting me know about your experience with your Charge 3. Let me clarify that the active minutes will be calculated when you do an activity that requires a high intensity for more than 10 minutes. This is regardless if you're using the auto-recognize function, the exercise app from your device or manually logging your activity in the Fitbit app, as the intensity of exercise is key. For example, I can walk around my neighbor with a high intensity for 15 minutes and earn active minutes, however if I do the same the next day with a low intensity, I'll not be able to earn active minutes.

If your Charge 3 isn't recording your active minutes, may I know if the heart rate is working correctly? Also, are you wearing your device snug on your wrist, meaning not too tight or loose?

@EricParkinson1, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback, and I'm sorry that you've had this experience. I see where are you coming from as every effort counts towards your goal. While the algorithms will allow to record active minutes for exercises that take more than 10 minutes, our team will make sure to work on our services and improve them.

@n_ewart and @ShannaS, thanks for joining the conversation as well for your thoughts. Fitbit always takes the feedback posted in the Community to enhance their performance, as well your experience with them. Be sure that your comments will not go unnoticed.

Keep me posted.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Dear Moderator... My complaint about a clear "flaw" in your programming has to do with extreme activities such as WINDSPRINTS that result in 3 to 5 minutes of PEAK heart rate... followed by a near equal amount of time in total resting recovery.  This is perhaps the most vigorous of exercise routines POSSIBLE, yet according to the current "FitBit" rules, it doesn't even register as ACTIVITY because each of these extreme intensity reps only lasts for 3-to-5 minutes at a time.  I would suggest that "activity" be REDEFINED and measured based on heart rate, and that these extreme events NOT be required to be at least 10-minutes each in duration.
Best Answer

Hi @EricParkinson1. It's nice to hear from you again.

Thanks for letting me know your thoughts about how the active minutes are recorded. I get your point of view as even though your activity takes less than 10 minutes, it takes a big effort to complete it. It'd be great if only the heart rate would be taken into consideration to earn active minutes, and thanks for your input on this idea.

Our team constantly checks the comments posted in the Community to improve our products and services, specially the ideas posted in the Feature Suggestion board. You can check this similar idea, and add a vote to show your support, or submit a new idea. Our developers take into consideration the ideas that have more votes for new updates or product development.

I'll be around if you need anything else.

Best Answer
0 Votes

i just ran 5k and my charge 3 records zero activity after sync... 

Best Answer

Hi @agyg, welcome on board. It's nice to see a new member around.

Thanks for letting me know about your Charge 3. As you may know, active minutes will be recorded as long as you perform your exercise with high intensity. And the heart rate data will also be of great help to better estimate caloric burn and, in turn, exercise intensity. To further investigate, may I know if the heart rate was working correctly? Also, were you wearing your device snug on your wrist, meaning not too tight or loose?

Keep me posted.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I looked back on past data and found that every four months I get two days in a row that my active minutes are not displayed. Is this coincidental or a bug? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @JoeFish, welcome to the Community Forums! I'm sorry for the delay in my response.

This sounds strange, thanks for bringing this to my attention. As mentioned on previous posts, active minutes will be recorded as long as you're doing activities with a high intensity, which will be estimated by the heart rate readings. That being said, did you receive heart rate readings on those days? Also, what activities were you doing on those days? Have you done anything or wear your device differently on those specific days?

Keep me posted.

Best Answer
0 Votes

LizzyFitbit,

This could be coincidental. I did a test on Saturday and I saw first hand what you explained. My Charge 3 is working as it should. 

Thank you for all of your help!!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @JoeFish, thanks for getting back.

That's awesome! I'm glad that your Charge 3 is working correctly, and thanks for checking the information posted above. I'd like to invite you to visit our Discussion Board where you can share your experiences, meet people and create new topics.

See you around! Smiley Very Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm assuming the Charge 3 may have an issue tracking active minutes.  The 1st 4 day I wore it was fine. I chatted with a Fitbit tec that had me restart ect  2 days ago its still not working and my calories are off as well.  I checked my heart rate.  Which shows I have been active more that the continued 10 minutes of activity I have read in other post.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Has anyone solved the problem of active minutes logged but no daily exercise recorded.  In each case my most active day was excluded.  This problem started 3 weeks ago.  

Best Answer
No one from FB  has replied to me yet. A week ago is when my charge 3 stopped my active minutes and calories Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone
Best Answer