Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 3 counting too many steps

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Fitbit charge 3 

counts my hand movements as steps.

I wear it on my non dominate hand but every time I move my arm up or down it counts those movements as steps. 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
135 REPLIES 135

let's see if the Firmware update did any good... I'll be back with an update

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine seems to be a bit more accurate, it matches up with my phone's step counter now. Gonna get home and leave it on a desk and see if it keeps counting to be sure though 😁

Best Answer

mine is just more of the same... after waking up, had 2000 steps already, this can't be happening!

Best Answer

Yeah, left mine on my desk last night and it counted 63 steps...

Best Answer

Same here. Fw update didn't fix the issue. Already tried the suggestions from the moderator. Too bad =(. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

So bad, getting my money back....

After the firmware upgrade it keeps just miscalculating the steps. Is simply not reliable. I'm getting my money back.

@rickrevolta wrote:

Same here. Fw update didn't fix the issue. Already tried the suggestions from the moderator. Too bad =(. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same here.  brand new. newest firmware.  overcounts steps by15-20% on dominant hand!!!!

A proper solution is not to force people to setup the software to "Dominant hand" and then wear on Non-Dominant!  i want to wear on dominant.  the proper solution is to either fix the sensitivity or give the users adjustments in software, not forcing the to wear it on a prescribed hand. It still overcounts a lot even on non-dominant hand.

Best Answer
What I've done is marked it as my dominate side and use it on my non
dominate side
Best Answer

Right, however it still over-counts and i do not want to wear it on my non-dominant side.  so a in app software choice to adjust sensitive would solve the issue....

Best Answer
0 Votes

Seriously guys, what did you expect?

Do you really believe that a device on your wrist can track the number of steps with a good reliability?

This is just physically impossible. Look the arms of people walking and you ll understand: there are so many differences between people.

This feature is just a lie from all constructors I guess, time to wake up. The best measure would be with a GPS, or with a tracking device at the ankle (i don't understand why it does not exist yet).

Best Answer
0 Votes

1. that is why i suggested a software/app sensitivity adjust 0-25% which each user can tailor to themselves.

2. a number of people in my friend circle found the old Jawbone UP3 much accurate 2-4%, though it used different technology.

3. being off by 10-20% is simply poor software and hardware engineering.  a more reasonable 2-5% should easily be achievable with today's hardware and software, which could easily  "learning modes" where the user corrects the Fitbit a bunch of times and then it adjusts....mini AI.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am also experiencing the problem. 

I bought mine on 11/9/2018, and updated the firmware immediately after getting home from the store.  My wife has an Alta.  We walked the same amount today.  Her Alta is reading 9200 steps while the Charge 3 is reading over 16800.  I have owned several different Fitbit devices over the last 7 years, and have never experienced such wild and obvious inaccuracies.  I like the new features, but this is not usable currently.  

Best Answer

I got the charge 3 a few days ago. The step count has been off by 3000-6000 each day. I have tried all the fixes suggested by the Fitbit reps, none have worked. The charge 3 do count my steps while I am moving, but it’ll keep adding on steps once I am no longer moving. I can not find a fix, grudging considering bringing it back.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Having same issue, contacted support (they suggested to reboot it). 

I am wondering if anyone form the fitbit official reads this forum?

Best Answer

n

@Volsla wrote:

Having same issue, contacted support (they suggested to reboot it). 

I am wondering if anyone form the fitbit official reads this forum?

not one of the "fixes" worked for me either. the latest firmware update also did't do any good concerning the step accuracy. what is wrong with that device??!

a simple sensitivity adjustment would certainly fix this issue! 

Fitbit officials DO SOMETHING PLEASE! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the same issue. Fitbit logged ~10,000 steps yesterday, whereas my Apple Health app logged ~1,000 (it was a very lazy Sunday).

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just got my charge 3 on Black Friday. Same issue as everyone else. Tried all of the trouble shooting to no avail. Very disappointed as I like the updates with notifications. I’ve been wearing the charge 2 for over a year and love it. I just have the newest software update for the 3 also. It counted almost 20 steps when I washed my hands which I do a lot in my career. After reading all of these posts I’ve decided to return it and try again after it’s been on the market a while longer hoping all of the issues get resolved. Sad, I like it a lot. 

Best Answer

just returned mine.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Alexisjgp, I ended up returning mine as well.  Features are great, can't wait for this to be improved or another to be released that doesn't have the problem.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I adjusted the stride on mine and it seems to have helped a bit, though it is most definitely not super accurate. It helps keep me on track and motivated to move and exercise, so it has been worth it for me thus far. It would be nice to have more accuracy, but Fitbit was already pricey for me. My cousin showed me her Garmin, and it leaves Fitbit it in the dust with WAY more features and more accuracy. Something to keep in mind if you need that detailed accuracy.

It's fun to have Charge 3 for the pool. I wear glasses so swimming has been a real challenge in the past. Fitbit helps me keep time, keep moving, and also to have a rough idea of my pace.

Best Answer