Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 3 counting too many steps

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Fitbit charge 3 

counts my hand movements as steps.

I wear it on my non dominate hand but every time I move my arm up or down it counts those movements as steps. 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
135 REPLIES 135

You said it uses "height" well where can I input my height? I see a place to input my stride, but not my height.  Also I fell like it would track better if it utilized more than 1 sensor at a time. It seems like it only uses the step "sensor;" but, wouldn't it work better if it uses a combination of the step "GPS if connected to phone," or another sensor......maybe altimeter so it won't count if you're sitting down, Accelerator so it only triggers when moving forward or backward, or possibly heart rate, because when you're at rest it would be much lower than when your walking "for the most part."  Also it should be always connected to the GPS on your phone if it's close enough, I assume this would affect the battery, but at least have the option, AND always use the GPS in conjunction with step count. Most "false step" counts are when I'm not moving, or moving faster than any human being can travel because I'm driving. Either way the Fitbit is supposed to be the epitome of fitness trackers, but aside from the wealth of 3rd party support, I don't much of a difference from a $40 - $50 tracker.

Best Answer
0 Votes

No question that a wrist based device is an estimate of steps with some amount of variance.  What is unacceptable is the amount of variation and inaccuracy.  5-10% variation seems reasonable, 50-100% differences, totally ridiculous.  I have had other Fitbit trackers as well as other brands and they don't seem to have the same issue.  Things like steps while sleeping, driving, or simply sitting on a nightstand can be dealt with in software.  The moderators don't seem to be addressing or acknowledging that there is an issue.

Best Answer

I did the fix issue, it seemed to work better. Now I'm back to the same problem.  I have 5660 steps and have barely left my desk!!

Trying to figure out a way to let fitbit know this is not acceptable.  I copied/pasted a comment to many different threads regarding this issue and apparently that is not acceptable, as they deleted them all.  My response - fix the issue and there won't be so many threads to post to!  Trying something different, not copying and pasting, actually typing a new post each time.  Please - let's all flood social media with this issue.  I've posted to my facebook and to the fitbit facebook, telling everyone I know not to buy any of their products.  I used to be a fan until I bought this one.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

@juls11 wrote:

Trying to figure out a way to let fitbit know this is not acceptable.  I copied/pasted a comment to many different threads regarding this issue and apparently that is not acceptable, as they deleted them all.  My response - fix the issue and there won't be so many threads to post to!  Trying something different, not copying and pasting, actually typing a new post each time.  Please - let's all flood social media with this issue.  I've posted to my facebook and to the fitbit facebook, telling everyone I know not to buy any of their products.  I used to be a fan until I bought this one.

sounds good. I just posted on the Fitbit FB site to explain the problem. Let's see what that does...

Best Answer

Same problem here.  I have multiply steps before my feet ever hit the floor in the morning.  And if I am sitting reading but moving my are all of a sudden I have lots of "steps" counted.  I am with you.  I am thinking about returning the device and going on to something else.  Maybe the "latest and greatest" wasn't such a good idea after all.  I just really liked the idea I could swim with it.

Best Answer

Hi there, not sure if ya fixed this problem but mine was over counting so i tried turning the running sensor off and so far it seems to have helped reduce the sesitivity

Best Answer

@Tedaluka wrote:

Hi there, not sure if ya fixed this problem but mine was over counting so i tried turning the running sensor off and so far it seems to have helped reduce the sesitivity

interesting... how exactly do you turn off the running sensor??

Best Answer
0 Votes
Swipe left select exercise, swipe up on run, then turn run detect off

Get Outlook for Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am still having the same problem.  This is ridiculous I prefer just using my iPhone to count steps as it’s more accurate.  What is the return policy? Do older fotbits have the same problem?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah this is ridiculous. I just got mine as a Christmas present. I had 44 steps counted before getting out of bed. Then I drove for 4 hours, during which the number kept climbing. After a while I got a notification congratulating me for having climbed a bunch of flights of stairs (was still just driving). Took it off and put it on the seat next to me and it kept recording active time. Now, as I walk around, it's hit or miss whether it will record actual steps. I don't think the vibrations of driving are a good excuse for it not to work, when other devices are able to differentiate. The Samsung Health app on my phone can be so much better at recording steps even as it's jostled around in my bag and whatnot. How can this more specialized device be so bad at what it's designed to do? All the stores I checked were out if the Alta and the Charge 2, which is what I would have preferred to get after checking some reviews, but I hoped that the problem had been resolved over the past couple months. Wish they had made a larger number of previous versions that actually worked rather than an updated model that is crap. Returning unless I can get it to start to work properly. 

Best Answer

I just got a Charge 3 for Christmas and yep... my steps are extremely higher than what they should read. How is this not been addressed?

Best Answer

Hi, 

Same issue for me, I have tried the various suggestions here but to no success. 

Hoping fitbit will have an update soon. 

Best Answer

I got mine yesterday and the wife. I got up this morning and got into my car and drove to work and I have 1900 steps?? Im not too hopeful seeing all the people posting that they are returning this, that would be disappointing. I have just turned off the run detect to see if that works.

Best Answer

Well, switching run detect off does not help either. I am currently  on the short vacation with my spouse who has Alta HR. We mostly walk everywhere together and my Charge 3 says that I have done 47600 steps this week vs  19000 his. It is just for understanding of how wrong the new device is vs. other Fitbit's products.

Best Answer

Exactly the same problem here... It's ridiculous, never had this problem before with any of my fitbits

Best Answer
0 Votes

So, I figured it out. Turn GPS off on the Fitbit. From the front screen:

1) Swipe left..

2) Select exercise.

3) Swipe down.

4) Turn GPS off. Now, it should count accurately.

This won't work for everyone, since some of you use ONLY your Fitbit when you go for a run. I use my phone and a running app, so this works perfectly. I use the GPS on my phone, so I don't need Fitbit's GPS. 

As far as I can tell, my steps have been very accurate since I turned GPS off on the Fitbit.

Best Answer

But the charge 3 doesn't have GPS? It just piggy backs off the phones?

I brought mine back and got another. It seemed better but then acted like it had been... I got out of bed got into the car and drove to work..... 1200 steps #eyeroll

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

Seriously, just do what we did, and it fixes it.

Best Answer

@PDXSeth wrote:

So, I figured it out. Turn GPS off on the Fitbit. From the front screen:

1) Swipe left..

2) Select exercise.

3) Swipe down.

4) Turn GPS off. Now, it should count accurately.

This won't work for everyone, since some of you use ONLY your Fitbit when you go for a run. I use my phone and a running app, so this works perfectly. I use the GPS on my phone, so I don't need Fitbit's GPS. 

As far as I can tell, my steps have been very accurate since I turned GPS off on the Fitbit.

thx, gotta try this out.... but this can't be the final solution of the problem.

Meanwhile, I wrote to the german Fitbit account on FB, and all they wrote so far is to reboot the tracker (which I obviously have done several times before) *sign* *eyeroll* *facepalm*

Waiting for a reply and a better fix for the problem... 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I followed your steps, but nothing happens when I swipe down. When I swipe up on run and walk, I can turn off "use phone GPS."  Is this what you meant?

Best Answer