Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 3 counting too many steps

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Fitbit charge 3 

counts my hand movements as steps.

I wear it on my non dominate hand but every time I move my arm up or down it counts those movements as steps. 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
135 REPLIES 135

Of course my window for refund or replacement was Feb 27, 2020. On March 3 , within a few minutes an extra 20,000 steps were added to my step count. Thought it odd but chalked it up to a Glitch . The total checked my steps before my afternoon walk (8,000+ steps) about a minute later it red 22,000+. Then I did a search and found this message board. I feel ripped off by a poorly run company. I definitely won’t be recommending Fitbit to anyone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am sadly experiencing the same issue. Any kind of movement translates into steps.

I used my phone and xiaomi mi band 2 as a comparison and they are way more accurate, only getting it wrong by a 1-2 steps/100, whereas my fitbit charge 3 is off by more than 60/100. 

Restarting and walking 100 steps doesn't help. 

If a product is this inaccurate. I have no incentive to switch to premium. 

Best Answer

I have the same problems.  I awake to a report of 6% tossing and turning yet have 1,332 steps BEFORE I EVEN LEFT THE BED!

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Fitbit is counting too many steps what would be the reason for that

Best Answer
0 Votes

Totally!  Mine has massively over counted, and I awaken to a screen that says that I have climbed four flights of stairs!

Best Answer
0 Votes
What are you doing about it I think I will return mine

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

Same problem as everyone else. Just have to conclude its rubbish. Wear a Withings watch on the other hand and the discrepancy can be 15k steps a day - and the Withings is accurate, as tracked against 3rd party walking distance fitness app and iPhone health. Clearly a waste of money. Oh, and the display keeps losing rows of pixels. So now looks more like a bar code than a usable display. 

Best Answer

Why is this even an answer when it doesn’t work period.I gained almost 4000 steps sitting at my desk doing practically nothing with my left arm, which is where I wear it. As for counting steps when I walk it seems to be pretty accurate. But the idea of steps counting when I am not using that hand is completely wrong. 
i bought this charge 3 in December 2019 for one reason only; I had knee replacement surgery in October of 2019 and was having the other knee done in January 2020 and I wanted to be able to see an improvement in my steps, be able to make step goals as I continue(d). The only time I know that any step are correct is when I program walking and it uses the gps but I don’t want to waste my battery on my charge 3 nor on my phone plus the data that it uses just to have an accurate step count throughout the day.

An update needs to be done to fix this,

Best Answer

The company sent me a replacement, but it does no better 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a xiaomi mi band 2 and that one doesn't count steps while sitting, or sleeping. After several updates I still have the same issue with my fitbit.

It says to enter your height. I have my height set correctly. I restarted the tracker and still no change 

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

I took mine off while sitting at my desk today and compared it to last Wednesday and so far there is about 5000 steps difference between the two days. By the time I go to bed it will still be about 2000-3000 steps less today than last Wednesday because of not wearing it while sitting at my desk.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just got mine and it appears there are no answers for this. Sad.

Best Answer

My charge 3 worked fine while I was wearing it for over a year, but after reset my husband is wearing it and keeps getting way too many steps. Yesterday over 30.000 steps. He moves his hands a lot at work. Health app didn’t register 1/3 of the steps Fitbit registered. The answers given to this question didn’t help at all.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Unfortunately wrist worn counters are not accurate. You san buy a cheap pedometer to clip to your waist band that is actually counting by leg movement.Fitbit charge 4 is more accurate if you use the GPS.Sent from my Galaxy
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yet, my Withings without gps, worn on the wrist matches, within an acceptable tolerance, exercise and tracking apps on my iphone. So afraid I’m still of the view that Fitbit is at fault. Mine went in the bin! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have worn a fitbit 4 and a garmin 35 today. So far garmin shows 6174 and fitbit 6654. The garmin overcounts by up to 10%. Of course they are on different wrists.Sent from my Galaxy
Best Answer
0 Votes