Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 3 diminishing brightness

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

After seeing thousands{???} of posts with users experiencing brightness problems with the Charge 3, I can only assume that this is a built in defect, probably well known by the manufacturer.  After a couple of years my brightness has gradually diminished to the point the I need to give it up.  I like the Charge but if I can't see anything, it's not going to work for me.  So, my big question is does the Charge 4 have this problem?

Best Answer
16 REPLIES 16

@Filmlabrat I hope you're doing well!

Sorry to hear that your Charge 3 screen is dim. You don't mention any troubleshoots so I would like to know if you have restarted your tracker by doing the following:

1. Plug the charging cable into the USB port on your computer or any UL-certified USB wall charger.
  2. Clip the other end of the charging cable to the port on the back of the tracker. The pins on the charging cable must lock securely with the port.
  3. Make sure the button on your tracker is aligned with the button opening on the charging cable. You’ll know the connection is secure when the tracker vibrates and you see a battery icon on your tracker’s display.
  4. Press and hold the button on your tracker for 8 seconds. Release the button. When you see a smile icon and the tracker vibrates, the tracker restarted.
  5. Disconnect your tracker from the charging cable.

Let me know how it goes.

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer

Thank you for the reply, Alvaro.  Yes, I have tried all the troubleshooting solutions you mention and more - several times.  Once, while adjusting the brightness, I accidentally hit "Dim" and couldn't see the screen at all.  It took quite a while to get it set to "Normal".  My question for you is, does the Charge 4 have the same issues???

Best Answer
0 Votes

After doing some more research because the Moderator didn't answer my question, I have learned that the Charge 3 and Charge 4 use different displays.  The Charge 3 uses an OLED display and the Charge 4 uses a PMOLED display.  This is a good indication that the gradual dimming of the display of the Charge 3 may not be a problem with the Charge 4.

Best Answer
0 Votes

why would you buy another Charge and support a company that is not solving the screen dim problem that so many people are having!!

Best Answer

I agree I can see nothing on my Charge 3 screen but still wearing it as it is still working and linking to my phone. I must admit that I have asked for a versa for Christmas. 

Best Answer

The Versa 2 has an AMOLED display so I doubt it shares the same problem as the Charge 3.  Merry Christmas.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Maybe it's just me but I see two words that apply...    Planned Obsolesce

...and that is why my next smart/fitness/tracker watch probably won't be from Fitbit.  
Has anyone compared the Fitbit devices to the many more reasonably priced options out there today (obviously not from Apple or Samsung).  

Best Answer

One side note: 

I've noticed recently there is a DND (do not disturb), Sleep, and Screen Wake option when you press and hold the "side button" that seem to change the display brightness.  Not sure I understand how they are suppose to be used.

Best Answer

My guess is that they screwed up big time and can't admit it because thousands would want compensation.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same problem. What button are they talking about to reboot???

Best Answer

Here's a more direct link...

https://youtu.be/2WX6vT0N4J0 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for your help. I did figure it out finally. I had the setting on dim and didn’t know it! Now if I can figure out how to restore the tap display instead of clicking button. Thanks again.
Becky

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer

Maybe they just need to add a BRIGHT option!?!   [ auto, dim, normal, BRIGHT ]     ; )

Best Answer

Wow !!!  What a concept !!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Agreed is was that it would cost them - however it might cost more to lose customers and reputation. 

Those kind of choices define the core culture of a company.  With the acquisition of Fitbit by Google it's hard to know which culture is driving the choice to address the known problems with the Charge 3.  

I'm sure it was a faulty design from the start and one that wasn't tested enough to identify long term problems with the display.   When the Charge 3 first came out the auto setting for display brightness didn't work.  Based on the technology and price of the Charge 3 compared to other devices I'd be really surprised if the profit margin isn't large enough that they could offer to replace devices with fixes made to it or replace with a device that doesn't have inherent problems beyond the original warranty period.  At $150 for a less than a postcard stamp sized black and white display that after less than a year isn't bright enough to read and is missing lines in the display.  Then again, why would they if customers will continue to buy products from a company that is more interested in making the next sale than selling products with a reasonable lifespan and quality.  

Best Answer