Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 3 display is fading

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My charge3 screen is no longer Black with white text, appears to be fading.

anyone have these issues.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
41 REPLIES 41

Welcome on board @Harrir719973, it's nice to see a new member around! Thanks for bringing this to our attention. 

If your Charge 3 display is fading, I'd recommend restarting your device by following the steps below: 

1. Plug the charging cable into the USB port on your computer or any UL-certified USB wall charger.
  2. Clip the other end of the charging cable to the port on the back of the tracker. The pins on the charging cable must lock securely with the port.
  3. Make sure the button on your tracker is aligned with the button opening on the charging cable. You’ll know the connection is secure when the tracker vibrates and you see a battery icon on your tracker’s display. 
  4. Press and hold the button on your tracker for 8 seconds. Release the button. When you see a smile icon and the tracker vibrates, the tracker restarted.
  5. Unplug your tracker from the charging cable.

Give this a shot and let us know the outcome. 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

Just tried this 4 times, no luck. Not only is my screen still fading, it now has a single black line running horizontally across the top.

i got so tried of this issue I just stop wearing it last week. My wife’s is still working ok.

Anything else I can try?

Very disappointing so far, I did get a few good weeks from it before the issues started.

First the sync issues, then the fading.

Best Answer

Just an update, the fading lines/ screen are vertical and the single black line is horizontal.

Best Answer

Hello there @Harrir719973, thanks for coming back! Also, thanks for the update about your Charge 3's behavior. 

Since the steps provided didn't work, I went ahead and created a case for you with our Support Team. Someone will reach out to you soon to offer their assistance. Please keep a lookout in your inbox to the email address associated with this account.

Please let me know if there's anything else I may do to assist. 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

Since I received my Charge 3 as a gift Christmas 2018, this will be the second time the screen has had an issue. The first time the vertical lines appeared and it wasn't a year old so Fitbit sent me a new one. Now the screen is barely legible to see and restarts are not correcting the problem. How long are the warranties?

Best Answer

My screen also started fading just after one year. I contacted fitbit support center. This is the response I got

Response from Fit Bit on 26-MAR2020

After checking in our system, we are able to see that the warranty of your Charge 3 started back on February 12th 2019 and ended on February 12th 2020. Although this isn’t eligible for replacement since the warranty is already expired, we want to keep you in the Fitbit family and working toward your goals. Please accept a discount toward the purchase of any one of the devices on fitbit.com 

My request to the public : 

Fitbit sold defected product and offering 25% discount after the warranty. Shame on fitbit company. If you search in the google so many people gave a complaint that your screen has problem so Fitbit know that the product has defect instead of fixing the defect they are selling defective product and after one year Fitbit offering 25% discount. I am not going to buy their products any more. 

Shame on Fitbit  selling the defect products to the customer.  My request to the public please do not buy their products. You will suffer one day. 

Best Answer

I am having a similar issue. My Fitbit charge 3’s screen started fading about two days ago and I’ve tried everything including restarting the watch and changing the display and nothing is working...

Best Answer

My charge 3 screen is fading black. I've tried the steps you posted four times. It's still the same thing. I've had this only a year. And I've been having this problem since January. And it's just getting worse. Can you help is there other steps you can take?

Best Answer
Dump it. I have a Garmin now and it does more than FitBit.Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer

I tried this with no joy. 😞

Best Answer

I just tried restarting several times and it is not working. It's only a year and a half old. My last one lasted 4 years. I'm very frustrated. If this can't be resolved and I have to buy a new tracker I will go with a different brand. Any suggestions on making this one work?

Best Answer

That is my thought, go with another company. I've only had mine 1 1/2 years. 25% discount towards another defective product is not the answer.

Best Answer

I also have the issue on my Charge 3.  Have restarted, changed clock face, and restarted again.  Charged at @ 85%+. Have changed brightness in settings 3x, to no avail.

Upon the restart you can barely make out the smile.  When charging you can see the battery icon (albeit dimly) at the top and the bottom, but in the middle of the screen you really cannot see the vertical lines of the battery icon.  It's like the screen overall is badly dimmed, with the middle being worse than the top/bottom.

It's one thing if I can't see the screen in full sun.  It is, however, unusable as I can't even read int indoors.

Other suggestions?

Best Answer

This is exactly like mine - the top and bottom are okay-ish, but there are bands in the middle and sides that are so dim you can barely see anything (and I have excellent eyesight). And this is currently the best it has been in weeks.

Best Answer

Fitbit Charge 3 is only 1 1/2 years old and the display has faded out such that it is barely visible.  Resetting the fitbit has no effect, nor does the charge level. What has been up to this point a good product is no longer usable. Will not be re-ordering from Fitbit. Very disappointed in the longevity of this tracker

Best Answer

My Charge 3 is a couple years old.  Recently the screen started fading and is now completely blank.  I tried the suggestion to restart and it did nothing for the screen.  I can still check on my phone to see what my steps, etc. are reading after doing a sync, but that is rather annoying.  I like the features of the Charge 3 but the screen problem is a bummer.

Best Answer

I know this is going to seem weird, but these instructions (which were given to me a year ago by Fitbit for another problem I was having) seem to have resolved my dim screen problem:

Try changing your clock face in the Fitbit app:

• With your device nearby, from the Fitbit app dashboard, tap the Account icon User (top left of the home screen in the iOS app)
  • Click on Charge 3
  • Tap Clock Faces  
  • Select All Clocks from the tab at the top.
  • Browse the available clock faces. Tap the clock face you want and tap Select to install it.
  • Sync your device to see the change.

No guarantees that it will work for you (or for how long) but it seems to have worked for me (and you can change your clock-face back to what you had originally if you don't like the one you changed to!)

Best Answer
0 Votes

And then I set the brightness to Auto

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the exact problem.  My Charge 3 is 18 months old.  I tried the reset and nothing.  I contacted support.  They had me go through the reset steps again and it didn't work.  They told me my Fitbit was out of warranty and offered me a 25% off a new one from their site. I had friends who had Fitbits that lasted for years.  This is my first fitness tracker.  If I had known this would not last long I would have gotten a different kind.  

Best Answer