Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 3 failing to count steps for me accurately

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I got my Charge 3 on Sunday, and set it up Sunday night.  I was pretty happy with it at first -- heart rate and resting heart rate seemed pretty accurate, and it was comfortable and lightweight and easy to use.  But then I got around to checking the one thing I had just assumed would be accurate -- the step count.  I was dismayed to see that I can sometimes walk around my house, adding hundreds of steps, all while watching the step count on my Charge 3 remain unchanged.  My Versa has a similar problem, but it will usually add the steps in a minute or 2 later.  The Charge 3 does not do that.  Once it fails to track the steps, they are lost for good.  My step counts this week have all been a couple thousand steps less than what they should've been.  I've got the dominant hand setting set correctly, so it's not that (FWIW, I am left-handed). 

Since I don't see other people reporting this problem, I'm assuming that I have a faulty Charge 3, and will return it, and go back to my Versa for now.

I'll wait until the Black Friday sales next month, and pick up another Charge 3 at a discount then.  Hopefully they will have come out with updated firmware by then, with more clock faces, etc.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
35 REPLIES 35

I've found out that if you move your arm along with the watch it will track the steps. Hope this helps 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

It shouldn't need an arm movement to track steps. The clip on trackers are against the hip or chest and they count from the very first step. 

While working around the house my arms are often full so I can't just intentionally start swinging my arm to make the tracker work. An accelerometer shouldn't need an arm to swing. While walking very slowly with old people, it should count steps without requiring a high rate of speed. 

I'm very disappointed with the lack of step counting outside of an actual continuous high speed activity. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I'm seriously done with Fitbit. I use Samsung health on my phone now
extremely accurate ...
Best Answer

Does Fitbit answer these issues or is this just a place for disenchanted users to vent?

Best Answer
I think it’s only the disenchanted. But when I had a customer service person on the phone Who is trying to tell me that my problem didn’t really exist, and I referred him to the community chat from multiple instances. Changed the tone of that conversation!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Something in between. You get responses, but the responses aren’t that satisfying.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have gone back and forth with FitBit by phone and by email. They even messed that up by changing my case # after one of my phone calls. After making that mistake clear to them, they were able to see & piece together my multiple issues with this device - my initial complaint about not getting steps while doing work in the house because I'm not walking far enough at a time for it to "catch up" as they claim will happen but doesn't - and isn't the way the tracker is supposed to work with an accelerometer anyway. Although multiple issues have become clear, most but not all, which are just design flaws. 

I am a long time FitBit ONE tracker user. I also use the FitBit scale. They can see that I am a dedicated customer who has missed a day of tracking only very few times because I forgot to put it on, or most recently because my ONE failed to charge anymore, in the past 6+ years and have tracked over 28 million steps. That being said, I think they are taking my complaints seriously because of the detailed information I have given them. They have now admitted they can't help but are working on it (allegedly) I realize this is another form letter to me of copy and pasted paragraphs to suit my complaints. You will see in this complete copy and paste of my last message from them which I guess means, "don't call us, we'll call you". The last 2 paragraphs repeat themselves. One has a little more info in it because I had questioned why so few activities upload to Strava (the answer to which I found out prior to them telling me - I had assumed all activities supported by Strava would upload, but no, no non-GPS FitBit activities will upload. Which is too bad when the FitBit GPS won't connect.)

And for the record, my swims continue to have lengths swam miscounted which is obvious due to the odd length count which should always end up even.

Here is the full body of the last message to me from FitBit tech support:

Hello, 

As you may know, our customer's voice has always been essential in the development of our services and products that is why we have passed your comments along to the appropriate team for further review, the truth of the matter is that your remarks are always appreciated and are crucial for our team as we continue to find ways to make your experience even better.

And also, we would like to thank you for all the information provided, it was indeed of great help for us and the thing is that we will give our best to address this unusual situation internally so as to fend off this occurrence to keep happening to you or any other Fitbit member in the future.

Due to the complexity of this process, it may take longer than expected, and thus being the reason why we can't determine any specific date to provide our customer. Therefore, we advise our users to check back with us regularly to verify any updates. As of right now, our engineers have been investigating a quick remedy to your case, we would appreciate your time and patience while our team is working diligently to come up with a resolution.

It's a fact that this is indeed an area of improvement. There's no doubt that we will make the most of it. In fact, your opinion matters to us. Hence,  we look forward to making your Fitbit experience even better. And remember, if you happen to have additional questions or concerns. Please, let us know, we will be happy to look into it. Also, only GPS data recorded with a device will be synced to Strava. Exercises recorded with the Fitbit app or don’t have GPS data are not synced to Strava.

It's a fact that this is indeed an area of improvement. There's no doubt that we will make the most of it. In fact, your opinion matters to us. Hence,  we look forward to making your Fitbit experience even better. And remember, if you happen to have additional questions or concerns. Please, let us know, we will be happy to look into it. 

Sincerely,

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for this post. I too have been using Fitbit One, then Charge 2, now Charge 3 for fitness tracking. The Charge 3 still doesn’t count all the flights of stairs so I have to do that manually and it still doesn’t count steps right. Very frustrated with Fitbit and thinking of quitting and going to Apple Watch or some other fitness tracker.
Best Answer

Mine fails t0.count 2, I'm miss8ng st least a 1k today and about 10 stairs as well

Best Answer

I have exactly the same problem! It’s always a huge discrepancy with a pedometer on my iPhone... (iPhone measures it correctly)

Can anybody help with this issue? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well,

I blew the **ahem** thing with air, got it drunk on alcohol, and reset it every day, no change. Just when I think it is counting stairs properly, it just quits counting. Same with steps, it counts just fine then I look to see if I've reached my goal... nope keep stepping. Step, step, step another 5 minutes, still not counting. My goal is 6000 steps and it froze... again!

I bought one Fitbit years ago and it stopped working properly, so I traded up after working with support, the second one, same, the third one, same, the fourth one, same. Now on 5th Fitbit. I am done. Too bad really because I loved the dashboard and ease of tracking steps, flights, food, exercise, weight, and sleep.

Baldwin66

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did you ever get a fix for this problem? I just got my Charge 3, 4-21-19 and in 2 hours of bbqing i walk 3,066 steps... way off

Best Answer
0 Votes
There is something about the way the Fitbit figures “steps” that doesn’t count actual steps. When I sit for 3 hrs at a musical event and clap, I get credited for a couple of thousand steps! Today, the guitar player’s Fitbit went off and he laughed at having reached 10,000 steps although he was seated!! I’ll bet your bbq event was like these.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I also have a new Charge 3 & have had it less than 2 months.  It adds steps while sitting & especially while driving. It showed I reached 20,000 steps on a day I spent most of in a car!

I am away from home & can not return it so it seems a waste of money. Never had this problem with my Alta

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have noticed for several days that my charge 3 is not counting my steps correctly. This morning I took my phone with me on my 1st walk of the day. It counted 1458 steps and the charge 3 only counted 531 steps. That is a huge different. What can I do to correct this?

Today's date is 07/08/2020

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer

I have been posting about my ongoing issues several times-only to be ignored each time. I’ll post here with what I wrote last night: 

I am having problems with the number of steps jumping around mid workout. Today, I hit the 10,000 and the Fitbit vibrated and did the celebration animation. Shortly thereafter, it immediately jumped to almost 17,000 steps which was strange because I know I haven’t walked long enough to hit that number. I then synced it with my phone and it went down to 9,400 steps. I continued walking until I hit the 10,000 step vibration and celebration animation for the second time. 

There are other events where it seems like the data isn’t able to accurately sync with the account on the internet vs the app on the phone vs the pebble (wrist apparatus). I have been having continuing problems with data logging as it should; only to disappear after a sync (active minutes logged disappear, walks that were accurately logged under exercise vanish, etc). Sometimes, it wipes it off the pebble but if I reboot just the wrist tracker, the missing data comes back only to be wiped off the pebble again once synced with the app. 

No amount of reboots (pebble, phone, force quitting the app/logging out of the app), deleting and reinstalling the app, disconnecting/reconnecting Bluetooth have fixed the ongoing problem. 

I am exasperated with my posts being ignored by Fitbit moderators. 

Best Answer
0 Votes