Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 3 heart rate not accurate

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

While fast walking (heart rate ~105), my Charge 3 shows suddenly 165, than 5 sec later 192 and even 203. After stoping the walk, it suddenly indicates 75 and than comes back to 103..... What can I do to solve that problem? Impossible to get a correct training mesure like this.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

It's nice to see you around the forums @SunsetRunner! Our heart-rate tracking technology, known as PurePulse, is specially designed to give you a more complete picture of your health and fitness. As with all heart-rate tracking technology, whether a chest strap or a wrist-based sensor, accuracy is affected by personal physiology, location of wear, and type of movement. 

For tips on wrist placement and how to wear your Fitbit device for best heart-rate tracking results, please see our help article: What impacts the accuracy of my heart-rate readings?

You can also try moving your device to your other wrist.

Heart rate tracking may not work with certain accessory bands, especially if they’re loose fitting. For best results, we recommend wearing a Fitbit-branded classic or sport band during exercise. For more information, see: What should I know about my heart rate data?

Hope this helps, I'll be around! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
89 REPLIES 89

It's nice to see you around the forums @SunsetRunner! Our heart-rate tracking technology, known as PurePulse, is specially designed to give you a more complete picture of your health and fitness. As with all heart-rate tracking technology, whether a chest strap or a wrist-based sensor, accuracy is affected by personal physiology, location of wear, and type of movement. 

For tips on wrist placement and how to wear your Fitbit device for best heart-rate tracking results, please see our help article: What impacts the accuracy of my heart-rate readings?

Heart rate tracking may not work with certain accessory bands, especially if they’re loose fitting. For best results, we recommend wearing a Fitbit-branded classic or sport band during exercise. For more information, see: What should I know about my heart rate data?

Hope this helps, I'll be around! 

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you very much for your help, but this doesn‘t solve the problem. I am wearing my Charge3 with an original Fitbit wristband the same manner as I wear my Ionic during training. With the Ionic and the Charge2 I never had this problem. Thats why I started this post; cause maybe there are others who have the same problem; and maybe this is a Charge3 specific problem?! that can be solved in the one or other manner. 

But thank you again for trying to help.

Best Answer

Thanks for getting back my friend @SunsetRunner! I'd like to start by saying that, the algorithms used in both devices are the same, so you should see no more than a standard 4% variation between the two. It's possible to get different readings if the trackers are worn in different locations (dominant vs non-dominant wrist).

Heart rate reading varies depending on several factors like movement, temperature, humidity, stress level, physical body position, caffeine intake, and medication. If you haven't already done so, please review our information and tips for heart rate accuracy here

Have you try restarting your Charge 3? I'd also recommend turning heart rate off, sync your tracker and then change it to on again. Don't forget to sync your device to save the changes. 

Keep an eye on your tracker's behavior and let me know if you notice an improvement. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the information. I‘ll try different things during my next exercises and will tell you, if there is as positive change 😉

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sounds good @SunsetRunner!  Ping me out my friend. Smiley Very Happy

Best Answer

Hey there, so I've had the Fitbit charge 3 for a few months now and it seems like my heart rate runs much higher on this one than the 2. I feel like it's inaccurate unless for some reason my heart rate is just higher for some reason now. It's weird.

Best Answer

I just got my charge 3 for Christmas & have been noticing the same problem!!! 156hr while applying face moisturizer?! So, I put my 2 on one wrist & 3 on the other...Pretty similar however, the quick sudden movements seem to escalate very quickly on the 3?! The 2 will drop when I am resting/sitting and is tracking sleep...The 3 stays the same pretty much & only partially tracks my sleep 🤷‍:female_sign:

Best Answer

Hi,

yes, there seems to be a persisting problem with the heart rate of the Charge 3. I tried everything; the only solution would be, to fix it so tight to te wrist, that it couldn't move anymore at all; but this nearly hurts after a few minutes and is very un confortable. Honestly, I gave it up to try and I decided to not use my Fitbit trackers anymore, but those of an other brand 😞 But I didn't regret the change! Even if the Charge 3 was former optically my favorite, but if it is not possible to get correct results, what should I do?

Best Answer

I am seeing this exact same problem recently in the last week or two. I see dramatic jumps in heart rate on the Charge 3, where I am totally at rest.

I am a competitive cyclist, and I when cycling or on a trainer, I also where a ANT+ heart monitor, so I have verified that my heart rate is at normal rest levels 65-80 bpm (via ANT+) when the Charge 3 is showing 135-155 bpm!!

I do not intend to change the way I wear my Charge 3, as I don't believe that should have anything to do with the issue (I wore a Charge 2 the exact same way and did not see these issues). I believe tech support should stop giving the normal text book support, and look at this issue more closely!

Best Answer

Hi, I just think the same.I will wear my watches/trackers the way I allways did. Why should I change something, that would diminuate my comfort? And just as you wrote, Fitbit should stop givinging answers that are from a list and instead they shoul treat the problem. Like this, they will loose customers. I have gone yet; I changed to Garmin and I have to say, that it was a really good decision, that I do not regret at all.

Best Answer

Hey Moderator.  Why is this a "solved" issue.  What are your responses to KatjaF?  Her problems are not resolved.  Can you explain the role of "moderator".  Are you "Fitbit"?  Or what?  I don't understand the functioning of this "community forum".  

Best Answer

Hey Moderator.  Why is this a "solved" issue.  What are your responses to KatjaF?  Her problems are not resolved.  Can you explain the role of "moderator".  Are you "Fitbit"?  Or what?  I don't understand the functioning of this "community forum".

Best Answer

So, a little data for technical support, I fully charged my Charge 3, put it on (left wrist, non-dominate, where I always have worn it), and also put on my Garmin Ant+ heart monitor.

Readings:
Garmin Ant+ Heart Monitor (chest strap): 68 bpm
Charge 3: started at 86 bpm, and then jumped to 135-144 bpm

Note: I attempted to "reset" device with no change in behavior. Very weird as I have had the device since October, and it was working for most of that time.

This problem is not solved, most likely a defect in my unit (and @SunsetRunner's) I would say. 

Best Answer

Why is this issue indicated as “solved” and the solution “accepted”?  That’s not what I see in these postings.  I have had two Charge 3”s.  I returned the first one because of this issue.  A week ago, I decided to try again and purchased a second.  The second Charge 3 has the same issue.  These two screen captures demonstrate the issue.  Both are results of identical elliptical workouts.  Both are 30 minutes in duration and both were similar intensity.  Note in the first that my heart rate drops precipitously twice (see arrows).  My exercise was not interrupted — my feet were moving at the same pace throughout the 29 minutes and my “real” heart rate did not vary.  The second screen capture shows a relatively uniform heart rate throughout the 29 minutes.  Here’s the difference between the two workouts.  In the first I moved my hands from the elliptical moving handles to the stationery handles to measure my heart rate with the elliptical machine heart rate monitors in the stationery handles.  I did this twice at or about the time of the arrows.  Apparently the change in the movement of my arms (from moving to stationery) caused the Charge 3 to interrupt its heart rate monitor. Needless to say, this makes no sense.  Another possibility might be that the elliptical machine heart rate monitor, when engaged, interferes with the Charge 3?  Would appreciate some feedback on this.  I have a Charge 2 and never had an issue with its heart rate monitor.  Something is wrong with the Charge 3.

IMG_0019.jpgIMG_0024.jpg

Best Answer

Yes. I agree with you.

Best Answer

So @MarreFitbit,

Why have you marked this issue as SOLVED, when @SunsetRunner herself has stated she is still having issues?

I have the same issues and finally am supposedly getting some help from the specialized support team, although it would be more productive if they just replaced my unit. They seem to think I'm stupid, and don't have other accurate methods to obtain my heart rate...to compare. The unit is defective, simple.

You could have at least directed @SunsetRunner to the Fitbit support (login to website and clean click on settings cog on upper right, select help, you will have option to contact direct), instead of "solving" issue out of hand.

Signed,

Pissed off user

Best Answer

@MarreFitbit : The problem is definitely not solved; maybe not to solve because the heart rate sensor is to much exposed to the minimal daylight reaching it from the sides. And I will shurely not wear it so tight during all day, that it hurts!

@dlautz : I totally agree with you. The fact, that this problem was indicsted as solved, just shows, that there is no interest in what customers need. But honestly, I do not bothering around anymore with this. I made my choice and changed to Garmin. So in future, Fitbit will no longer get money or data from my person. 

Best Answer

UPDATE: 
Technical support finally gave up and decided to send me a replacement unit, they don't even want the old unit back (I imagine they already know it's toast, as I told them in the beginning). We'll see if this performs any better.

I'll keep you posted.

Best Answer

Funny how all these topics that have to do with inaccurate HR are marked solved. 

When I searched the forum for Charge 3 HR issues, all the topics dealing with issues with HR on the Charge 3, basically are all the same. Customers complaining about poor HR monitoring, mods providing tips on how to wear C3, then customers wondering why topic is marked "solved". LOL, maybe I missed something. SMH

Best Answer