Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 3 screen turns on at night

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

It's quite annoying but I have gotten use to not opening up my eyes whenever I see a flash of light in the middle of the night. Why can't there be a press+hold for 3 seconds, press 3 times rapidly or some other button combination to wake so that it doesn't come on at night. I read a different post saying that the cause might be 'accidentally' pressing the button or screen. I don't think that's the problem. It really comes on at night when you just move around.

Moderator edit: subject for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Since my original post the screen started to get a lines of dead pixels and now the display is barely visible with fading occurring from the right.  So just wait a few months until your screen starts to die. If you're within warranty they'll send you a new one but this is pretty pathetic.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
22 REPLIES 22

Welcome to the Forums @SunsetRunner.

Regarding your display turning on, is true that sometimes at night we can make a hard movement, or hit the tracker with something and the screen might turn on, but you can also have this feature on. I recommend checking that the quick view feature is off by doing the following:

1. From the Fitbit app dashboard, tap or click the Account icon.
  2. Tap or click your device image.
  3. Find an option to turn off Quick View.

I hope this helps, catch you later. Man Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't see a quick view option. The screen lighting up at night is very annoying.

I think there should an option in the app to set times when it should not come on.

Best Answer

Hey @Ddesi, welcome to the Community.

If you want to turn off the quick view feature, I recommend following these steps:

1. From the Fitbit app dashboard, tap or click the Account icon.
  2. Tap or click your device image.
  3. Find an option to turn off Quick View.

Let me know the outcome. Man Happy

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

There is no Quick View option.

Best Answer

There is no quick view option.

It shouldn't be that difficult to program; there is already an option to stop notifications at night. I will probably stop wearing the charge 3 at night because of this. 

Best Answer

@SunsetRunnerand @Ddesi :

The option to have the screen turn on when turning the wrist is a setting only on the Charge 3 itself, and no longer in the Fitbit app as with the Charge 2. Access this setting via the following:

1) From the clock face screen, long press the haptic "button" on the left of the C3. The device should vibrate and show a screen with two options--Screen Wake at the top, and Notifications at the bottom. (If you have a special edition model with Fitbit Pay, the payment screen may show first instead. In this case, swipe left to get the above options.)

2) Touch the Screen Wake light bulb icon so it grays out with a diagonal line through it. This will keep the screen off with wrist movement.

Note that the C3 screen is designed to wake on a double tap regardless of the Screen Wake setting (like the Charge 2), so if you thump the arm with the C3 in just the right way (not necessarily a factor of strength), it can wake the screen. For example, I've had my screen come on when clapping my hands, or tapping a spoon on a dish. Just something to keep in mind.

Hope the above helps, and Happy New Year --

IchibanNeko Cat Wink

Best Answer
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Best Answer

Hey guys, thanks for the information.

I am glad to see here that the instructions provided by our friend worked. If there is anything else we can help you with, do not hesitate to post it.

Keep the stepping up! Man Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had notifications off and it still turns on without even tapping the screen. Sometimes with a strong movement it'll turn on or even when I'm just going about my day at work. This is also contributing to less than expected battery life.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks @IchibanNeko

I was looking relying on the brightness setting on "auto" but it doesnt work.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi - the "Screen Wake" toggle is useful if you really just don't want to use that feature. I actually want to use that feature during the day, say when I am out for a jog or just want to check the time. I look like a dang fool flipping my wrist and arm all around just to get the thing to wake up. 

Then at night, I have to keep my arm buried under the blankets so my wife and I don't get blasted with bright light with every minute movement my arm makes.

Basically, the screen wakes up when I don't want it to (e.g. when I am trying to sleep) and does not wake up when I actually want to look at it during the day. Maybe I don't move my hand correctly? Is there a motion I should be making? A magic spell I should be saying?

I feel like Apple Watch people don't have these problems. Should not be tough to program in a "sleep" feature for keeping the screen off during the night until say the alarm goes off, and making the screen wake (and stay on) with regular "I'm looking at my watch" gestures.

Best Answer

yea It'd be great if the screen wake could work on a schedule like my phone -- I have a 'second screen' (LG v20). It turns off at 10:30p and turns on at 4:30a). I still have this issue with the screen coming on at night. It's so bright that I can use it to move around if I have to move around the room/house. Can I return this Fitbit? It was given to me as a gift for my birthday in October.

Best Answer

It appears that even with screen wake off, it will still wake during the night as the screen isn’t in fact touch sensitive. The device wakes to a gesture on the accelerometer, in this case 2 taps. However just scratching your arm or adjusting the band in quick enough succession will cause the device to wake.

We definitely need a button only wake at sleep times. Its tracking when im asleep so should know i dont want to look at the screen.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Since my original post the screen started to get a lines of dead pixels and now the display is barely visible with fading occurring from the right.  So just wait a few months until your screen starts to die. If you're within warranty they'll send you a new one but this is pretty pathetic.

Best Answer

Hi Alejandra - It does not seem like people are finding the quick view option. But that is kind of missing the point.

This would effectively mean that a user would have to remember, and want to, turn the quick view feature on and off for waking vs. sleeping.

What we are asking is "why does the fitbit, which KNOWS WHEN WE ARE SLEEPING, not keep the screen dark during that time?" Or, even give us the option to set a "dark mode" time (similar to every mobile device running right now) so that the screen does not light up during a specific period of time set by the user in the app (say 11pm - 6am) unless the user pushes the side button?

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner wrote:

How is this the ‘accepted solution’? Lol 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Because Fitbit knows the issues plaguing the Charge 3 but doing nothing to fix them. 

Best Answer

Please have Quick View turn off during detected sleep, or allow a set schedule. Thanks! 

Best Answer

Thanks so much. Done! 

Best Answer
0 Votes