Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 3 screen went blank

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've had my Charge 3 a little over a month. Last night my screen went blank. It was at 100% battery. It is still syncing with the app so I can see that it is still tracking my steps and sleep, etc. When I tried to restart it by placing it on the charger and holding down the side button for 8 secs. When I hold the button down it does a very quick pulse vibe about 4 times and then nothing. I've tried holding it longer than 8 secs also and still nothing. Very frustrated to be having this issue with a brand new product. Contemplating returning the one I bought my husband for Christmas and returning mine as well if not resolved immediately.

Moderator edit: subject for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hey @beals5@Dsimi and @SWynne it's great to have you here.

I appreciate all the efforts in trying to fix this issue and recommend trying the following:

• Plug the device into the charging cable.
  • While the device is plugged into the charging cable, hold the button down for 15 seconds.
  • Remove your finger from button. Note: Device won't have a smiley face icon and should be off with a black screen.
  • Remove the device from the charging cable.
  • Plug the device into the charging cable again.
  • The smiley face icon appears on the screen.

Let me know the outcome. Robot Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
620 REPLIES 620

Hello. My Charge 3 just did this exact thing today.  I am hoping someone has a solution! It is also syncing, but a blank screen.

Stacy

Best Answer

Following this thread as mine just had the same issue today too! It is still logging data just fine, but completely blank screen no matter what I do including the 8-second-reset on the charger... just to be clear and distinguish this from the other blank screen posts:

- Charge3 is still logging steps, pulse, stairs, etc.  I know this because of the point below

- Charge3 still syncs with my phone and shows live data on phone.  It is not dead, just no display.

- Charge3 had a 9x% charge only few hours ago

- Charge3 buzzes several times during reset procedure (8-second press while on charger)

- Charge3 display still completely blank during above reset process.

- Should be fairly current on firmware, did an update about a month ago (28.200001.44.33)

Moderator edit: content

Best Answer

Hey @beals5@Dsimi and @SWynne it's great to have you here.

I appreciate all the efforts in trying to fix this issue and recommend trying the following:

• While the device is plugged into the charging cable, hold the button down for 15 seconds.
  • Remove your finger from button. Note: Device won't have a smiley face icon and should be off with a black screen.

Let me know the outcome. Robot Happy

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer

Alejandra:

Maybe your sequence is what I stumbled on this morning, but I do have my display up and running again.  I was trying different combinations of pressing the button and making sure the charger was seated correctly.  Thank you for the reply.  Solved for me.

Best Answer

I have the same problem....and it gets me angry and upset...I paid alot for something that doesnt work after 1 month

Best Answer

Joycedelva:

I suggest trying a couple times.  It is tricky pressing the button while in the charger and with no obvious feedback, something may not have happened right.  In my case I wasn't sure if I had seated the charger correctly and was re-seating it when I finally got the smiley face.  I had been trying 5+ times before and was just stubborn enough to keep trying.  Looking back, I am pretty sure I accidentally happened across the sequence that was mentioned by Alejandra.

Best Answer

Thanks for the information @beals5 and @Joycedelva great to have you here.

It's great to know that your tracker is now working properly @beals5. If there is anything else we can help you with, do not hesitate to post it. Now @Joycedelva, I would like to know if you have tried the tips that our friend provided? If you haven't, please do.

Catch you later. Man Happy

Best Answer

Alejandra, mine just had the same fault, and I got the display back on with the fix you posted. It should not happen though. It there a cause that can be fixed with a software update in the future? Thanks. 

Best Answer

Welcome to the Forums @CGarfield.

Thanks for troubleshooting this by yourself, I am glad to hear that the instructions provided worked for you. Regarding your inquiry, we are not sure what might have caused this, but we would expect this to be a one glitch and I would ask you to keep an eye on your watch, and in the case this happens again, please let me know and I will be glad to further investigate.

See you around. Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

this fix worked for me just now, thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

Koolmom:  Yay!  The issue hasn't repeated itself since the initial problem, so hoping it is one-off for you as it has been for me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Alejandra:

Alas about 6 weeks later have the same issue again.  This time after at least a half-dozen tries at your exact sequence above no luck.  I still get all the buzzes and can still sync with my phone, but do display at all.  I'll keep on trying, but no luck yet.  I believe I have had one software update since this original issue.  I'm wondering now if it is a defective device?

UPDATE:  After trying again on the third morning after the problem occurred, the sequence did work.  Not sure what (if anything) I did different.  One interesting tidbit is when the display came up, it claimed 88% battery charge which I know was not accurate, I charge daily and it never gets below 90% at the end of a day.  The fitbit had just been on a charger for at least 30 mins just before it came back, so confident it was at 100%.  The device confirmed my theory as I put it back on the charger for 10 seconds, took it off and battery was suddenly reported as 100%: no way it went from 88% to 100% in 10 seconds of charging.  Wonder if that is a clue about the SW bug that is causing the problem?

will

Best Answer

This solution worked the first time! Thank you:) 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yay Lisasusa!  I had the issue crop up again two days ago and could not get it to recover even with the procedure that worked for me last time.  I just lived with the blank screen for a few days trying the procedure each morning after charging back up to 100% and on the third day it recovered.  Not great, but at least back up and running.

will

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for getting back @beals5 and @Lisasuza welcome to the Forums.

I am glad to hear that this display issue has been resolved for both of you and appreciate all the efforts in trying to fix this by yourselves. If there is anything else we can help you with, do not hesitate to post it.

Keep the stepping up! Robot Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a dead screen as well.  When I push the button I can feel it pulse.  I have tried restarting several times and sometimes get the smiley face but then nothing.  Would appreciate any guidance.  Have really come to like the Charge 3 but it is only a couple months old.  This is a bit annoying. 

Best Answer

Sklee1990:

I've had my Charge3 for a bit over four months now and have had the issue twice.  I agree it is frustrating, I never had any issues with myCharge2.  The only saving grace is that I'm not losing data while the screen is off.  If I were, I'd have replaced it (either with another Charge3 or another brand) by now. 

My current theory is there is something to do with charging.  Even though I never let it get below about 88% (I charge every morning), I saw some weird battery status on the last burp.  Both times it came back was after leaving the Charge3 in the charging clip for a while.  While fiddley, the procedure is pretty simple, and I'm sure I'm doing it correctly when it doesn't work as well as the one time it does.    I only have two sample points right now, so hard to know if I'm on the right track or not.  I'd personally not like to get any more sample points, but suspect I will.

For my Charge3, as soon as I get the smiley face, all is good.  So, if you are getting it and then nothing, I fear you are having a different issue than what I'm dealing with.  If the device is still new and under warranty, I'd strongly suggest getting it replaced before the warranty expires.  This is Fitbits problem, not yours.  I'm just stubborn enough to want to figure it out.

will

will

Best Answer

Hiya so I have tried to rest my daughter charge 3 while connected to the charge lead holding  the button for 3 sec, 5 sec and 15 sec each time it does a quick pulse I let the button go take it off charge... put it back on charge and still absolutely nothing.. very very disappointed considering my daughter only just got it for her birthday 🙁

Best Answer
0 Votes

Skwakwa:

That was the issue I had--twice.  The recommendation is further up the thread from AleJandraFitbit:

This never worked for me the first time! It did eventually though.  By eventually, I mean maybe even a day or two later.  It is fiddly and feedback is limited, so hard to know if you are doing it right.  My working theory is it has something to do with the charge level on the battery, so longer on the charger is better.  I'm past the warrantee period, so trying to make it work.  If your Fitbit is new, might want to consider getting it replaced.  The only reason I'm not too upset is that the Fitbit is still gathering data, so I'm not losing information. 

will

Best Answer