Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 3 steps earning twice the calories, MyFitnessPal

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi my ch3 is connected to MFPal as a 3rd party app to monitor steps and as  general daily calorie guide, I also have training peaks feeding into MFPal to collect HR and power data from bike sessions, I remove the ch3 during bike sets so as not to double up data.

I would say on average I am given back half the calories I earn walking ( 2-3 hours a day) and 100% of bike earned  calories. This has been standard for a lost a year. In the last week or so I have started being given more calories than I have walked on days where I walk and cycle. For example 20,000 steps might have earned me 500 cals in MFPal now I'm being given 1000 cals

I don't trust it now, apart from the fact I can't eat that much. 

The only thing that has changed at my end is an increase in the hours on the bike in the last week 

I burn around 1000-1500 cals a day on the 5 bike training days this has gone up as my training hours have gone up 

Please help for a year the fitbit ch3 has been a reliable device and has worked well with the set up. I Am now getting worried about eating to much or that I'm not having enough protein as I can't hit the calories target 

Moderator edit: subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

Hello @Smithyspeed, welcome to the community forums! Thank you for the information and the troubleshooting steps you've followed! 

Based on your information, looks like you're seeing this discrepancy directly on MyFitnessPal. Otherwise, let me know if you believe your Charge is displaying or syncing a higher amount of calories to the Fitbit App as well.

To further assist, please provide screenshots showing the discrepancies on MyFitnessPal and when you used to get accurate readings regarding your calories. This information will help to further take a look at this. 

In the meantime, please take into consideration that Fitbit devices combine your basal metabolic rate (BMR) the rate at which you burn calories at rest to maintain vital body functions (including breathing, blood circulation, and heartbeat) and your activity data to estimate your calories burned. If your device tracks heart rate, your heart-rate data is also included, especially to estimate calories burned during exercise. The number you see on your Fitbit device is your total calories burned for the day.

Your BMR is based on the physical data you entered in to your Fitbit account (height, weight, sex, and age) and accounts for at least half the calories you burn in a day. Because your body burns calories even if you’re asleep or not moving, you see calories burned on your device when you wake up and will notice this number increase throughout the day.

In the meantime, I also suggest you to revoke access to MyFitnessPal to see if this refreshes the performance: 

1. Tap the Today tab , and tap your profile picture.
2. Scroll down and tap or click Manage Data > Manage 3rd Party Apps.
3. Log in to your Fitbit account.
4. Tap Revoke Access to disconnect an app from your Fitbit account.

I look forward to your response. 

Wilson M. | Community Moderator, Fitbit.
Best Answer
0 Votes