Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 4 is tracking too many floors

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Same problem here. It has been happening for the last weeks, roughly since early June. Couldn't say if it was after a firm update. Some days 30 floors, some days up to 200. I live in a flat, no stairs, and no changes on windows/doors opened. As an example, today: when I got up (7;30am) I already had climbed 8 floors (while in bed!).Then following your instructions reset my fitbit.

Went out 40 mins to the shops (street flat as a pancake) and coming back my fitbit registered 50 floors already. Literally, I saw it adding floors as I walked on the flat street.
Something is not right, definitely. I went for a run on Sunday along with my partner, both with our fitbits: same route, same speed. My fitbit registered 240 m elevation gain; the other fitbit registered the usual 50 m (we always run same route, that 50m is what my fitbit used to mark).

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
38 REPLIES 38

I've had problems w/ my Charge 4 for quite some time. Up until a week ago it was shorting my flight count by quite a few nos. I climb a good many flts. 7 days/week (usu. between 100 ~ 180 flts/day, but sometimes more. Thirteen stair steps here at home . . . to ensure accuracy I lift my arm overhead at the stairs top and at the bottom a floor touch. As of a week or so ago the Fitbit has now been adding flights (5~15) per session. Would appreciate any advice in re my problem. Thanx.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I got my Charge 4 the other day, and I've noticed that the stair count is inaccurate (way, way too high). Is there a way I can edit the count? I searched the forums and not only is this a common problem that has been happening for years, it looks like the answer is "no", which seems silly. Am I wrong?

Doing some research on the forums here, evidently the altimeter can be affected by simply being in a car, or a gust of wind. Considering air movement and being in a car are both regular things in my life, if I can't edit my stair count, I'd love to be able to just turn off the stairs "feature". Again, the forums seem to indicate that this isn't an option either, but perhaps something has been implemented recently that I overlooked? (If not, I don't get why.)

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer

Hi there, @ominousdrumbeat. Welcome to the Community Forums. Thanks for taking a look at other posts before posing here. We‘re taking into consideration your comments and sentiments in regards to our products and services.

As you have mentioned, your Fitbit device may give you credit for extra floors for a variety of reasons. Devices may track floors while doing everyday tasks such as opening doors, driving, or riding elevators or escalators, or from abrupt weather and atmospheric pressure changes. Exposure to excess moisture can also result in extra floors. For more information, see Why does my Fitbit device count extra floors? You can also find more information about tracking activity in this help article How does my Fitbit device calculate my daily activity?

In regards to turn off this option, I'm afraid this is not possible. We're constantly striving to improve Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. The best place to make your voice heard is the Feature Suggestion board on our communityTo learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Please note that you can’t delete steps and floors; instead, log a non-step-based activity such as driving to override the steps or floors. For more information, see How do I add, edit, or delete Fitbit data and activities? 

Hope that helps. 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

@ominousdrumbeat   I can see from your profile that you are a new user.  I want to offer this perspective as a long time user.  The altimeter in a Fitbit can both overcount and undercount stairs.  I have gotten over 50 flights on a gusty, windy day.  But there are times when I don't get credit when I go up a real flight of stairs.

The flights of stairs are more of a "fun fact" on your daily activity.  We are told to take the stairs for health reasons.  But Fitbit doesn't add extra calorie burn when you take the stairs.  You activity calories burn is heart rate based.  I don't recommend doing the extra logging to try and remove them.  I think it is unnecessary work.  A Fitbit isn't a scientific grade device.  In this case, I recommend accepting its limitations.

Unfortunately, you can't turn the feature off.  And you can't customize the Charge 4 screen to remove it from your Today stats.  But you can remove it from your phone app. if you don't want to see it.  Just tap on the Edit button, then the "X" on the floor icon, then Done.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Thanks for your help and perspective. I know it's more of a "fun fact", and I don't expect scientific accuracy, but since it's SO inaccurate, it just seems like wasteful clutter. It would be nice to be able to turn it off or hide it. For now it sounds like I'll just have to ignore it.

Best Answer

Folks:

My fitbit Charge 4 just informed me that I've been awarded a "lighthouse" badge for climbing 51 stairs!!!

YAY!!!  Uh... not?

Unfortunately, I don't have ANY stairs in my house and I have NOT changed altitude ALL DAY!!!

WTF??!!??

Also having problems with heartbeats-per-minute (bpm) accuracy with this device.  I've been "credited" with PEAK zone minutes of 157 bpm and above when, unfortunately, after a manual check, only measured about 117 bpm.  This is especially concerning since I take beta-blockers which lower my heartrate bpm (and, subsequently, blood pressure).  It's also TOTALLY MESSING UP MY ACTIVITY POINTS WITH WW and interfering with my weight loss efforts!!!!!

Anyone else having these types of problems with this device and, please!, do you have any solutions other than calling fitbit Customer Service?

Thanks for any help!

N

Best Answer

Since two weeks my Charge 4 is counting much more stairs than I even could walk. Today I went upstairs twice but according to my Charge 4 I did it a 100 times.  I refreshed my Fitbit but it stil doesn’t work properly.  Please Fitbit fix this problem! 

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer

Hi, welcome to the Fitbit Community forums, @Mv-s

Thank you for sharing this information about what you've been experiencing with your Charge 4. 

Your device is designed to detect pressure changes based on elevation gain, but other types of pressure changes, such as a gust of wind, a weather change, or opening a door, can occasionally cause your device to register extra floors. Your device registers 1 floor when you climb about 10 feet, which is the average between residential and commercial floor heights. If you climb long staircases you may find that the floor count on your device doesn’t match the number of floors you climbed when the staircase is taller than 10 feet. 

If you continue to experience the same inconvenience with your Charge 4, make sure that you've also tried to restart the device following these steps

I'll be around. 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer
0 Votes
Groet Monique Veltman
Best Answer
0 Votes

My Fitbit says I climbed 77 floors today. I only climbed 3. It does this when it is very hot and humid outside and I go in an out from the humid heat into air conditioning. Anyone else have this experience?

Moderator edit: subject updated for clarity

Best Answer

Yes, I know this has been discussed here....

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Charge-4/Charge-4-is-tracking-too-many-floors/td-p/4761891

However, that topic is marked as answered and this problem clearly has NOT been answered.  In searching, I have found this same issue going back at least two years and with Charge 2 and 3 units and many people with charge 4 still clearly have problems.

For me, this started happening quite abruptly about a week ago with my 6 month old Charge 4.  Suddenly my daily floors went up from 20-30 to 100 plus with no change in activity on my part.  Floors are being added just by walking along a corridor (no draughts, no wind).

Please don't suggest the "Driving Activity" workaround as that is just the support team being incredibly lazy and it screws up other data.

So, my question is - what are Fitbit doing about this problem?  Is there a firmware fix coming or is this a hardware problem that requires a replacement unit?

PLEASE DON'T FOB US OFF or mark this topic as answered until a REAL answer is forthcoming.

Best Answer

I and many other people have also been having problems in the last few weeks.  Something is wrong with the hardware, or a firmware update has screwed up something.

FITBIT - please do something positive!

Best Answer
0 Votes

There seems to be a huge number of users reporting the "too many" floors error in the last few weeks.  Mine went bat**ahem** crazy about 1-2 weeks ago.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Okay, just to add constructive information on this problem, here are the results of a few tests I performed.

Test conditions;

C4 is 7 months old,

Firmware version is 48.20001.100.43

Battery at 84%

Just prior to the test, rebooted the C4 from the touch screen menu.

All tests were conducted by repeatedly walking at a steady pace around 150 steps along a flat and level, internal corridor in an office building.  Distance was the same in all cases, there are no fans, no draughts. 

Air temp about 24degC,

Altitude 900 meters asl

Tests

1. Stuck a small piece of tape over the opening on the left side of the case (altimeter sensor?) with the C4 on wrist >> +3 floors
  2. Removed the tape, placed the C4 in my shirt pocket >> + 0 floors
  3. Standing still, spun the C4 around vigorously by its strap to promote air flow over the altimeter >> 0 floors
  4. Wrapped cling film* around the entire C4 body to eliminate any possibility of air flow.  Cut a small hole in the back just to allow the heart-rate monitor to work and wore the watch on my wrist.  >> +4 floors
  5. With cling film still around the body, and the C4 in my shirt pocket >> 0 floors
  6. With cling film still around the body and twirling the C4 by its strap while walking >> +4 floors
  7. Cling film removed, C4 in shirt pocket >> 0 floors
  8. Cling film removed, C4 mounted normally on wrist >> +4 floors
  9. C4 on wrist, walk gently with wrist held to chest (near shirt pocket to minimize jerky motion) >> +2 floors

*cling film = food wrap

There's quite an obvious pattern here.

1. Air flow has no effect on the floor count, whether the C4 is stationary (no step incrementing) or walking.
  2. Where the C4 is incrementing steps, AND being jerked / moved AND reading a heart rate on my wrist, floors are being added (doesn't matter whether air flow is normal or is completely blocked).
  3. In all cases, with the C4 undergoing gentle motion AND not on the wrist (no heart rate), no floors were added.

The conclusions I draw from this are;

• The floor count is clearly being influenced by a combination of step count incrementing, heart rate monitor and possibly jerky motion while walking.  This points to either a firmware or hardware problem (programming error or cross-talk between sensors) 
  • The nonsense being spouted about airflow, wind and draughts by some support staff is a complete red-herring.

So far today (11:30 am) my C4 tells me I have logged 48 floors, when I know for a fact that I have really done 10.

Please inform us a schedule for the possible solution.

1) Firmware update

2) Recall and replacement of all affected units.

3) Compensation and / or full refunds.

Best Answer

Hi, thank you for sharing all this information about the inconvenience that you've been experiencing with your Charge 4, @katmomma

Your device is designed to detect pressure changes based on elevation gain, but other types of pressure changes, such as a gust of wind, a weather change, or opening a door, can occasionally cause your device to register extra floors. Your device registers 1 floor when you climb about 10 feet, which is the average between residential and commercial floor heights. If you climb long staircases you may find that the floor count on your device doesn’t match the number of floors you climbed when the staircase is taller than 10 feet.

It's possible the device is tracking the extra floors due to the hot and humid environment you mentioned earlier. If you feel the floors are still not accurate under other types of environments, make sure that you've also tried to restart the device following these steps, as this has been useful to other users as well.  

I'll be around. 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer

@katmomma wrote:

My Fitbit says I climbed 77 floors today. I only climbed 3. It does this when it is very hot and humid outside and I go in an out from the humid heat into air conditioning. Anyone else have this experience?

Moderator edit: subject updated for clarity

Many, many people have reported this problem (myself included), I would invite you to read the testing I did in this topic posted a couple of days ago on the very same issue.

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Charge-4/Charge-4-Too-Many-Floors/m-p/4919125#M49937

Best Answer

@DavideFitbit wrote:

Hi, thank you for sharing all this information about the inconvenience that you've been experiencing with your Charge 4, @katmomma

our device is designed to detect pressure changes based on elevation gain, but other types of pressure changes, such as a gust of wind, a weather change, or opening a door, can occasionally cause your device to register extra floors. Your device registers 1 floor when you climb about 10 feet, which is the average between residential and commercial floor heights. If you climb long staircases you may find that the floor count on your device doesn’t match the number of floors you climbed when the staircase is taller than 10 feet.

It's possible the device is tracking the extra floors due to the hot and humid environment you mentioned earlier. If you feel the floors are still not accurate under other types of environments, make sure that you've also tried to restart the device following these steps, as this has been useful to other users as well.  

David, with the utmost respect it is very disappointing and quite frankly insulting that the "official" answer you are continuing to state is "a gust of wind"

Please take a look at my similar report from two days ago here.  https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Charge-4/Charge-4-Too-Many-Floors/m-p/4919125#M49937

and especially please study the tests I conducted in the second post and the results I achieved.  This was all done in a controlled environment where I took utmost care to avoid draughts and can reliably conclude that in my case at least, this is something much more severe.  If anyone else reports a similar problem, I will point them to the testing I did and ask them to see if they can replicate the results.  This talk of "gusts of wind" is just very insulting to our intelligence as customers.

Additionally, the "turning it off, then back on again" procedures (both of them for the C4) did nothing for me, as well as the many other reports from others.

I work behind a desk in an office and for the last two days I recorded over 100 floors (when in fact my real noted floors was around 15 for each day).  Today (Wednesday) I have been ultra careful and have only climbed 5-6 floors, and yet as I sit here at 5:00pm, my C4 tells me I did 41.  Every time I walk the 50 meters or so along the corridor to the toilet, it clocks up another 3-4 floors.

Since my C4 started to have this problem around 10 days ago, I started  searching the forums and I found many people have been reporting the exact same problem for the last 2-3 years including on older models but especially over the last few weeks. (and every time, the "gust of wind" story is wheeled out).  My C4 has performed nominally for around 6 months giving what I consider reasonably accurate results but has now decided to have a nervous breakdown either due to hardware or firmware issues.  The wind has not gotten any stronger in my office.

If it is a firmware issue, then please be honest and give us a schedule for release.  If nothing is forthcoming, as for me, I will be testing mine for the next few days and if nothing improves I will be starting the procedure to return it under warranty.

Best Answer

Hmm, no response yet... so a small update

Bearing in mind I work in an air conditioned office where the wind don't blow....

Since I purchased the C4, my average floors per week was around 100.  Now, with no change in lifestyle, my average per week is around 300.  For this week (only 4 days in, it is 306 floors)

Sunday - 53 floors (relaxing at home actual approx 12-15) (5,900 steps)

Monday - 109 floors (actual approx. 15) (6,600 steps)

Tuesday - 102 floors (actual approx. 15) (6,250 steps)

Wednesday - 41 floors (actual approx. 5) (3,840 steps) (This was as of 17:00)

(Update, 1 hour later and we're up to 51 floors while I have not been out of my office)

Monthly, I had been doing around 350 to 500 for 6 months, but July is currently 1,088.

Can anyone from the mods please comment on a course of action?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been a Fitbit user since 2018 and a charge 4 wearer for over a year, in the last week both my zone minutes and floors are very inaccurate, today I have had a lazy day but register 66 zone minutes and 101 floors. As I have had this device for quite some time, and have checked the floor count I know it was reasonably accurate, from my activity today and experiences it is now way off. I have reset the device several times with no improvement . 

Best Answer
0 Votes