Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 4 "GPS will not be turned on" for auto-recognize

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Using an iPhone, location services always on, GPS On and Run Detect on on the Exercise app on the tracker.

I logged out / force quit / restarted / Bluetooth on & off and still it says "GPS will not be turned on" under Settings for the Exercise section on my phone app.

Thoughts?

Moderator edit: subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@MatteoC   I see that you are a brand new user.  Your new Charge 4 can be overwhelming because of all the features it has.  Auto Detect a Run in the Exercise app is different from the simple exercise auto-recognition.

The place on the app that says GPS will not be turned on is in the settings for the auto-recognized exercises.  Fitbit calls this SmartTrack in the list of features.  I bet you got there by tapping on your Exercise tile > the gear > Run.  Yes, GPS is not turned on for this feature.  Don't worry.  I use SmartTrack for most of my walks and runs because I know the distance and don't need a map.

It sounds like you have all the settings correct to Run Detect with the GPS.  Just start running.  After a warmup and a little stretch.  It takes a little more than a minute for my Versa 2 to Run Detect.  It vibrates with a screen notification that a run is detected.  When you acknowledge that you are running, the GPS map starts from the point it connects.  You end the run on your Charge 4 screen when you are done.

The Run Detect with the GPS on overrides the SmartTrack GPS will not be turned on.  You do not get duplicate exercises.

I don't have any experience with a Charge 4.  I don't know how long it takes to detect a run and connect to the GPS satellites.  If it seems to take longer than you like, then start/stop your run from the Exercise app itself.

Does this help?

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

Welcome to the Community, @MatteoC.

Thanks for troubleshooting this GPS issue. Can you please be more specific and tell me where are you seeing this? In the meantime, check the article: How do I use GPS on my Fitbit device?.

I hope to hear from you soon. 🙂

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MatteoC is this with the auto detected exercises? 

The charge 4 has its own GPS and doesn't depend or need your phone to be with you. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MatteoC   I see that you are a brand new user.  Your new Charge 4 can be overwhelming because of all the features it has.  Auto Detect a Run in the Exercise app is different from the simple exercise auto-recognition.

The place on the app that says GPS will not be turned on is in the settings for the auto-recognized exercises.  Fitbit calls this SmartTrack in the list of features.  I bet you got there by tapping on your Exercise tile > the gear > Run.  Yes, GPS is not turned on for this feature.  Don't worry.  I use SmartTrack for most of my walks and runs because I know the distance and don't need a map.

It sounds like you have all the settings correct to Run Detect with the GPS.  Just start running.  After a warmup and a little stretch.  It takes a little more than a minute for my Versa 2 to Run Detect.  It vibrates with a screen notification that a run is detected.  When you acknowledge that you are running, the GPS map starts from the point it connects.  You end the run on your Charge 4 screen when you are done.

The Run Detect with the GPS on overrides the SmartTrack GPS will not be turned on.  You do not get duplicate exercises.

I don't have any experience with a Charge 4.  I don't know how long it takes to detect a run and connect to the GPS satellites.  If it seems to take longer than you like, then start/stop your run from the Exercise app itself.

Does this help?

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

F3EDF7B3-7C3C-4982-8F65-1BB95CC4F4C5.jpeg

Best Answer

That linked page is a lot of information about a lot of features on a lot of devices, and is very vague. Please update so that different devices are covered on different web pages with images and videos.

Best Answer

Hi @nroose. It's great to have a new member around.

Thanks for the screenshot, as well for taking the time to share your feedback about the help article. I see your point of view and be sure that your comments won't go unnoticed as our team strives to improve our products and services. About the settings for the Run activity under SmartTrack, I'd recommend to check the great information shared by @LZeeW. Currently SmartTrack activities cannot track GPS data, however you can use the exercise app to start and stop your exercises, and turn on or off the GPS functionality. To know more about how to use the exercise app, check this link.

I'll be around if you have another question.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So what you are saying is Fitbit software can't auto map like it auto detects the activity.  It also apparently can't monitor and display heart rate activity when you choose the exercise to use GPS.  So is this really an either or option?  Seems like a poor design choice.

Best Answer

It's a terrible design choice. If you start a run through your phone, your phone doesn't communicate with your tracker to get hear rate detection and other tracker specific information. If you have auto-detect on then the app records two separate runs. It's embarrassingly bad. 

Best Answer