Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 4 recorded incomplete walk/run maps

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Seems to have happened to a lot of people... Is this an issue with the equipment or the app? I cannot find any real answer to how to fix this problem. Do I return this Fitbit? The whole reason I got it was to map my routes without having to carry a phone around. The Charge 4 is supposed to be the latest greatest thing. What's the deal?

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

Hi @Rocktropolis. Welcome to the Community Forums.

Thanks for sharing that your map is incomplete for your exercises. I understand how important is to get accurate details when using your Charge 4 and let me help you with this matter. As you may know, the Charge 4 has built GPS meaning that you won't need to carry your phone around to track your exercise. That being said, I'd recommend to check the following factors that may affect the GPS connection:

• Make sure that your device is charged to at least 80%.
  • Confirm that your device is syncing with the Fitbit app. The more you sync your device, the faster your device can connect to GPS.
  • Make sure that you have a clear view of the sky when exercising. Some environmental factors, such as tall buildings, dense forest, steep hills, and even thick cloud cover, can interfere with your device’s ability to connect to GPS satellites. If the signal is blocked—either because you're indoors, underground, or due to another reason—GPS won't work. 
  • Avoid trying to start an exercise with GPS several times in a row, which can prevent your device from connecting to GPS.

Please note that if you use built-in GPS continuously, your Charge 4 has a battery life of up to 5 hours. So let me recommend to have it charged to at least 80% so it can track your exercise correctly.

By the way, I’ve moved your post to the Charge 4 board so we can keep our forums organized.

Keep me posted.

Best Answer

I'm running outside for about an hour at a time on an a flat open track in full daylight with little to no cloud cover with the device fully-charged.

Starting an exercise with GPS several times in a row? Are you serious? I bought this to track my runs, that's it. The only time I'm using an exercise I'm tracking via GPS. You're literally telling me that using the device as-intended means that it can't reliably function for one of the main purposes for which it's intended and advertised.

Also, "thick cloud cover" isn't a problem or even a consideration for any other GPS-enabled device that I've had for the last 10+ years.

Best Answer

Hi @Rocktropolis. I'm glad to see you here again. I'm sorry for the delayed response.

Thanks for taking the time to review my post and let me continue helping you. Just before anything else, let me clarify that the suggestion to avoid trying to start an exercise on your Charge 4 applies just when trying to use this function several times as your tracker will get confused and won't be able to connect to GPS. However, this doesn't mean that you shouldn't use this feature or try connecting to GPS a few times.

That being said, let me share that our team released a new firmware version on your Charge 4 which includes new features and improvements. Please make sure to update it, try restarting your tracker as described here and use it in your next workout to see how your GPS data is recorded.

Let me know how it goes.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have same problem.  worked fine yesterday, today similar wont record the entire thing run.

Could you clarify about the syncing with the phone?  I am using the on board Charge 4 device, and in theory don't need the phone.  Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had the same issue for a while. The last lap is shown as 0.99 kms. This has happened in every single run since I got my Charge 4. Have you a solution as yet?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Having read reply. It is clouded today could be why it stopped the map. That’s annoying. We can only walk & map on Clear days. I too bought this to track Trail maps-we are new to Colorado.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It’s now May 25th 2022. I’ve had my Charge 4 for a month and it appears to keep track of the steps etc but the mapping just arbitrarily stops half way or two thirds of the way  through my walk. Today is a clear beautiful day. The mapping just stopped half way through my walk and my phone was with me do the backup was there. Why has this problem not been fixed yet? The two Charge 3s I had before this unit were lemons. When the first lemon was returned, I was given a second lemon that mapped my walks well but also told me I was in a deep sleep while walking. Do I have to return this Charge 4?

Best Answer
0 Votes