Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 4 says battery not charging

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi,

The last two times I’ve been out for a run (with the Fitbit using my phone gps) after about 10 minutes I’ve got a message on the Charge 4 saying ‘battery not charging, check charger’. There’s no issue with the battery or the charger as far as I can tell as I had only just taken it off charge and it was at 100% prior to my run.  Shortly after this message I then get another saying gps not available, so I’m not able to track my route.  Everything else seems to be functioning normally.  

any ideas?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
110 REPLIES 110

This watch is becoming more and more worthless. I haven't even had it for 6 months. The message is almost constant now. Everytime I am doing something and want to take a quick glance to see the time or my stats I can't because the battery message won't go away. I can't believe there has been no solution to this issue! You don't even get a response from anyone. 

Best Answer
Same complaint here.  I have found it to be heat and/or direct sunlight that exacerbates the situation.  We visited Colorado and Wyoming where the temps were in the 80-90F range and it happened nearly every day.
We returned to Anchorage and it stopped.  However, it recently got in the 70’s and sunny and sitting on our deck it manifested again.  When cloudy and cooler, it stops.  This never happens with my charge 2, only my charge 4.  Fitbit needs to fix this.

Sent from the all new AOL app for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m also constantly getting this message.. several times a day.. making the device almost unusable now.. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is happening to mine too, sunbathing causes it. Very annoying. 

Best Answer

Mine does it too. Never had this problem with the previous charge hr, charge 2 and 3. Only had this a few months. Fitbit do something!

Best Answer

It appears that Fitbit have given up on this issue or should I say Google, personally I scrapped my Charge 4 within a month of reporting the problem but was astounded to see the continuing narrative  just now when I had a look out of curiosity.

My opinion is it's a sad day when such a promising brand and it's  followers are treated with such derision but such is life. I changed to Garmin and following a few issues trying to get used to the software now have a problem free tracking/report experience.

Good luck 

Best Answer

I have had all that happen. Yesterday I was swimming in a lake and got the not charging error. It went off after a while. Came back while I was sitting down, but it was also hot bc I was in the sun. 

Best Answer

Hi everyone,

I was on a Chat with Fitbit yesterday about this problem and the only solution they suggested was to re-start the Charge 4 so I have done this and will wait and see if this works.

To do this, place the Charge 4 in the charger and then hold the side button in for about 10-15 seconds, the screen will go black and continue holding until you finally get the smiley face 🙂 then release and you are ready to go.

Hope this works.

Bob

Best Answer
It works until you put enough direct sunlight on it and it’s warm outside. Read enough of the comments and the common theme seems to be the same. I still have my Charge 2 (and Charge 4). This never happens with my Charge 2.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

My Charge 4 is only 2 days old. I just starting getting this ‘battery not charging, check charger’ today while kayaking. Was 86 degrees F outside. Hope they find a fix soon. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I recently was at a tropical beach location for 3 weeks. The temperature was low 90's with strong sun. My Charge4 never displayed the error during the entire time despite subjecting it to strong sun, high heat and vigorous exercise. Now I'm back in Denver and see the message 2-3 times a day again.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Also getting this issue.  I waa out in the sun at my sons soccer game it had the battery not charging message.  Then again we were out on the deck and it happened again.  Had it a few weeks just started today...

Best Answer

I have the same issue. If you connect to the charger for even one second it clears the message. That is the only way I found to clear it.

Forgot to mention that this is definitely a firmware issue. My suggestion is only a work around. Hopefully they can correct it in the next update.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tried this restart and haven't had an issue since. It should work for you.

Bob

Hi everyone,

I was on a Chat with Fitbit yesterday about this problem and the only solution they suggested was to re-start the Charge 4 so I have done this and will wait and see if this works.

To do this, place the Charge 4 in the charger and then hold the side button in for about 10-15 seconds, the screen will go black and continue holding until you finally get the smiley face 

NSBob_1-1628985054258.png

then release and you are ready to go.

Hope this works.

Bob

Best Answer
0 Votes

1D3DD472-C241-4E4E-BA3D-0F0C7EFD1E24.jpeg

 Why does this keep happening?  My battery is at 90%.  I get this notification while wearing my Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same thing happens to me. This thing has been an annoying piece of garbage since I got it. GPS craps out mid exercise frequently too...May be time to move on... 

Best Answer

Lots of problems. Read previous postings.

Bob

Best Answer
0 Votes

Add me to the list of getting error.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you, mine just started this today! Never used to be an issue.

Mine just started this today. Heats not the issue as i saw someone say reading through post looking for solution. I:ve been in  98° weather for months never got this. Im trying the charge reset thing to clear the message but must say im shocked how long this has been going on without a solution that permanently fixes it yet. Given iv had mine for near a year now and am just getting this is odd also.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just adding to the “Direct Sunlight” experiences. First occurrence of this message after sitting out in direct sunlight and 30C (86F) at 73% charge.

I can also confirm that pressing the button cleared the message for me.

Best Answer