Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 4 says battery not charging

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi,

The last two times I’ve been out for a run (with the Fitbit using my phone gps) after about 10 minutes I’ve got a message on the Charge 4 saying ‘battery not charging, check charger’. There’s no issue with the battery or the charger as far as I can tell as I had only just taken it off charge and it was at 100% prior to my run.  Shortly after this message I then get another saying gps not available, so I’m not able to track my route.  Everything else seems to be functioning normally.  

any ideas?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
110 REPLIES 110

This problem started for me about 6-7 weeks ago.  No specific weather condition.  Battery usually 70-80% charged but on my wrist when it occurs.  Tried to remove the Charhe 4 from my app (forget this device) and reinstall/pair it. Happened each afternoon for several days in a row.  Lose all function/use when getting this message.  Can’t get HR or anything.  Can’t get message to clear unless placed on charger.  SUPER FRUSTRATING.  Fitbit-FIX THIS!!!  

Best Answer

Same “battery not charging” error for me. Started several weeks ago and happens randomly at various charge levels (42-92%). I did do a firmware update a few weeks ago and it could be related to that but is not related to sweat, direct sunlight or any other thing I’ve seen posted here.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've only havd my charge 4 for about 3 weeks and it's just started telling me this when I'm wearing it. It's done it several times today and I was only sitting out in the sun, not exercising, not sweating. It was at at 74% charge. It's clearly not just mine after reading through here, hope the issue gets fixed

Best Answer

Just had the same thing happen to me while exercising outside this morning. 34F. Definitely not heat or sweat related. Battery at 70%. Side button cleared the message.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can add me to the list. Happens when in bike mode. I just squeeze the sides and it goes back to the correct bike mode screen. I don't think losing GPS is linked to this as I only lost GPS once while having this message "battery not charging, check charge". 

The disturbing part of all this is that according to many posts here the problem can get worse. 

I lost the use of my Charge 3 after an "Upgrade" so I had to buy this Charge 4. If I lose this Charge 4 because of a bad upgrade I'm going to be pretty upset!    

Moderator edit: format. 

Best Answer

Just about 8 months since this was first reported, so I'm guessing it's not going to be fixed. The moderator has stopped chiming in to reassure us it's being worked on...

So what other fitness trackers are we all looking into? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

HI Mabel, Well I was having this problem a while ago but no problems recently with this message. I did a restart as detailed above and it has seemed to have solved the problem. Give it a try if you are still having this problem. Bob

Best Answer
I’m still having the problem but found if I just squeeze the sides of the Fitbit, the message clears. Not a permanent fix but a workaround.

Linda
Best Answer

I am late joining this discussion but my Fitbit charge4 has been a disappointment.

- frequent charging errors when worn on wrist.  Do not think this was sweat or temperature related.  Possibly from vibration/shaking (or any fitness activity)

- messaging to device has never worked reliably from day one.  About 1 of 10 messages will appear.  Device shows up to date.  Phone always nearby.

- firmware shows 48.20001.100.43

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had a Fitbit since they came out years ago. This Charge 4 has been nothing but a problem from the beginning. I considered signing up for Premium when I first got the Charge 4 but decided against it since I was having so many issues. All things must change I guess and I'm really not sure I will stick around for the next version....

Best Answer
0 Votes
Same here. The lack of customer support is sickening.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Agree on all points!

Linda
Best Answer
0 Votes
I still own my charge 2 which never has this issue.  It appears Fitbit is not interested in addressing this issue other than selling a newer “improved” model?

Sent from the all new AOL app for iOS
Best Answer

Hi there! Thank you for reporting this and I´m sorry to hear your Charge 4 still shows the battery not charging message.

Please follow the steps advised on the Best answer and noticed that restarting the device worked as a workaround.

Once any update be available it will be communicated in this thread. Thank you for your patience while dealing with this situation and sorry for any inconvenience it could have caused to you.

Keep on visiting the forums. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you but this resolution doesn’t work, I only get the message when I’m sitting in the sun. This could be a coincidence but strange nonetheless.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I should point out that my Fitbit is already set a phone GPS

Best Answer
It is very frustrating the issues with the Charge 4.  In addition to the "battery not charging" message that shows up sporadically, I am also getting notification messages, e.g., from Ring, texts, etc. often hours later than they were sent to my iphone.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I can also add that this one is very difficult to see in the sun, the GPS craps out all the time and the heart rate monitor (zone minutes) is incredibly inconsistent or stops working during exercise...

Best Answer
  • I've just had had my faulty Fitbit replaced and I'm getting that message while it's on my wrist!! I've taken a pic.
Best Answer
My Charge4 has gone from bad to worse. Not only does the battery occasionally have this issue, but, even when I tried Premium, I could never ever get sleep stages to work, no matter that I tried absolutely everything that customer support or online sites suggested. Now, less than a year after getting it, it no longer lights up to display the watch face when I swing my wrist up briskly. So I have to press the side with my other hand; how inconvenient!

Definitely getting something else down the line but don’t know what, so I, too, am interested in what others have learned about what would be better.

Chrissy
Best Answer
0 Votes