Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 4 side button isn't working

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi, during the night my Charge 4 started vibrating and illuminating as if the side button was randomly being pressed. I could not stop it so removed from my wrist and left it.

The following morning it had stopped, but the home button stopped working so I went into settings and carried out a reset. I then set the tracker to record an activity but the side button is still not working so can’t stop.

I’m guessing this will need a repair or is there any other reset that I can do?

Thanks

Glenn

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
0 Votes
18 REPLIES 18

Have you tried a reboot? this video demonstrates the process in the second part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RergqNUcZa0

I realise it depends on the side button, as you will see there's a reboot option in the settings on the charge 4.

Absent any progress You may be best served by talking to "Customer Support" here or in the country where you live -

https://myhelp.fitbit.com/s/support?language=en_US

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Gr4ndp4 | UK
AWAKE! for morning in the bowl of light has cast the stone that set the stars to flight.

Best Answer

Welcome to the Community, @Glenn.Gange and @Gr4ndp4, thanks for the input.

I was able to see here that our friend @Gr4ndp4 provided some instructions in order to fix these button and display issues. Was this the answer you were looking for? If it was, I recommend marking the answer given as the best answer. By doing this, other users with the same inquiry will be able to find a faster response.

Now, if your inquiry/issue wasn’t resolved, let me know and I will be glad to help you out.

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks @Gr4ndp4 & @AlejandraFitbit 

I did indeed find the video that you’d shared previous to my post. I completed the reboot using the settings, to no avail, and cannot reset using the charging method due to the side button not functioning. 
Unfortunately it has not resolved the issue, so @AlejandraFitbit are you able to  assist further?

many thanks 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for getting back, @Glenn.Gange.

Since the instructions provided didn't work, I've gone ahead and escalated your case to our support team, for them to take a deeper look at this. Please keep an eye on your inbox for further instructions.

In the meantime, let me know if you need anything else.

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer

That’s great, thanks a lot for your help  👍

Best Answer

I have just completed setting up my new charge 4 and I can't get the side button to work either. The tracker still displays the set up message even though the installation is complete and the app shows I have taken some steps. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I am having the same issue with my fitbit charge 4. 

I started a run activity. Halfway through my run, I looked at my charge 4 and saw this notification " GPS off cannot establish a GPS connection. Turning off GPS". I tried pressing the button so the charge 4 can go back to the home screen. But the button won't response. Tried to restart using the video as above but nothing works. The button is just unresponsive. 

Could you please help?
Thank you,
Wanjing
Best Answer

Hi @Wanjing Have you tried the reboot process mentioned the earlier post here?

Your GPS issue is related to the settings you are using. The default GPS setting is "Dynamic" which looks for your phone GPS and defaults to the built-in GPS, if that fails to lock then you get the message you saw, no map but heart, steps etc recorded in the exercise tile. I always carry my phone and use Phone GPS, GLONASS on, Low power GPS off. These last two enhance the performance of the GPS but at a battery drain cost. Click here  for a comprehensive explanation of the GPS function.

Please post here again if progress escapes you.

Cheers

Gr4ndp4 | UK
AWAKE! for morning in the bowl of light has cast the stone that set the stars to flight.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, yes. I tried the reboot process mentioned in the earlier replies. But it doesn't work. 
Now it is in a permanent state where the GPS message is on the screen of my charge 4.

On the GPS, I did a few runs previously without my phone and it worked fine. So I'm not sure if me not having my phone synced to it would be an issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for your participation in the Community guys and for the input, @Gr4ndp4.

@Glenn.Gange, you are welcome. If there is anything else we can help you with, do not hesitate to post it.

@Wanjing and @Sheilaliz, I appreciate all the efforts in trying to fix this button issue. Upon checking with our support team, I was told that you have already contacted them. I know they will be glad to help you out and provide you a solution, just keep an eye on your inbox for further assistance.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having this same issue of randomly vibrating, sometimes rapidly, as though the side button is being pressed. I have tried the above reboot several times to no avail. Please let me know if there is something else I can try.

Thanks in advance

Best Answer
0 Votes

@AlejandraFitbit my Fitbit does not stop vibrating as it seems the side button is being pressed repeatedly. Ultimately this is not usable and drains battery within 2 hours

Best Answer
0 Votes

Myself have recently run into a similar problem. Mine seems to have happened after setting up up fitbit pay. I ended bnb up removing my card in hopes of it helping, but it did not. Rebooted device and still hasn't fixed the issue either.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did you ever get an answer to fix this? I am having the same issue with my Charge 4

Best Answer
0 Votes

No answer, I simply returned this and got another device sent for free (I ordered through Amazon)

Best Answer

I am having a similar issue the side button is completely unresponsive and the screen is off, I cannot do the reset as suggested because the button does not respond. Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I had to get mine replaced
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi i just bought a charge 4 on clearance for very cheap and i have noticed the side button doesn’t work what should i do just return it 

Best Answer
0 Votes