Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cross country skiing

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

What is the best way to set my Fitbit charge 2 when i go cross country skiing.   I set it on "run" but it does not seem to record accurate mileage, etc

Best Answer
2 REPLIES 2

Assuming you are not connecting to your phone's GPS, mileage is calculated as number of stride times stride length.  For cross-country skiing, I expect distance covered per stride length is much more than for running, and probably huge variation in going up and down hill, where you might not even be striding downhill but taking very short strides uphill.  If you are mostly on the level and want and better distance estimate, you could figure out your normal skiing stride length and enter that as your running stride length, but then change it back to original if you do any real running.

Here is a help article about stride length:

https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1135/?q=stride&l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1

Or you could just not worry about distance and use either 'Workout' or continue with 'Running'.  Any way you do it, steps and calories will be added to daily totals.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I set it to 'run' and had phone connected, and have perfect GPS track of my route on Fitbit activity's map. However, distance in Fitbit shows 4.8km while the real distance was 7.5km. Even pace shows about 10min/km which feels absurd compared to even casual jogging which is 6min/km.

Screenshot_20190206-201206.png

How can it be so much off? How can it calculate distance on the map wrongly? Using Charge 3.

Best Answer
0 Votes