Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cycling gives less calories than walking on Charge 2

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

It seems that my Charge 2 is set up to record lower calorie counts for the same amount of time cycling than for walking. Most trackers give higher calorie counts for cycling than for walking. I used the exercise tracker on the Charge 2 for both types of exercise and the results for cycling seem too low. My average HR was higher during cycling than for walking, but the calories count was only half what it was for walking the same amount of minutes on the same day.

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

Hello my friend @DWinie, thanks for stopping by! Woman Very Happy Refer to this post of @YojanaFitbit about the calories you burn during your cycling/spinning/stationary bike routines. 

You have a good one!

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

The post you referred us to is for a stationary bike and seems to have no relevance to this problem. Either the calories burned walking is wrong or the calories burned during cycling is wrong. My charge two says I burn the same amount of calories for walking and riding my bike which seems impossible since my average heart rate and breathing is higher riding my bike vs walking. 

Best Answer

Same here. My brother in law walks forefor miles every day and I ride my bike outdoors 500' elevation changes everyday. He consistently logs more calories burned than I do, which got me thinking about this. 

I rode my bike for 45 minutes (hard) and burned 230 calories. 

Same day, I gently walked for 15 minutes and it clocked 100 calories. Something is wrong. 

Best Answer

My Charge 3 credits me many more calories burnt for steady walking than it does for high effort, high speed cycling. How can this be corrected please?  PLUS on my fitbit itself, I always enter that I'm cycling, but for some reason, the app on my phone refuses to give cycling as an option and just typical of my challenge, it's listed on the left here on this very post, that I'm a jogger. I'm so not. I'm an avid cyclist. I love my fitbit and it's been wonderful but this lack is a bit sad. Thanks team.

Best Answer

Now I have the Versa 3 and it counts even FEWER calories for my bike riding that before.  What gives?

Best Answer

Hi!  There are a lot of us who still have questions.  Can you please help us?

Best Answer

I use spinning for my recumbent stationary bike. It works, but, seems the numbers are way off. My bike computer reads 700+ calories burned as opposed to my versa 2's 300, in approximately 50 minutes. A 40ish minute brisk walk gives me about the same. 

Best Answer

Same thing here. I have the Versa and have noticed that either the walking calories are too high or the biking are too low. Tonight I walked for 1hr23mins with 2 zone minutes and burned 445 calories while yesterday I biked for 1hr49mins with 45 zone minutes and burned 428 calories. Longer ride time with 20x more Zone minutes = less calories burned. Something is not right!

Best Answer

I know this is old, this is necro'ing but this problem is obviously persistent across all Fitbit products. 

If I walk around the block a few times at a very casual pace I can expect 250-300 calories in an hour.

However, on my bicycle I am pumping hard to electronica and synthwave blasting down the paths and through town for two hours so out of breathe I think I might die. 

At the end of my ride after hitting the shower I check my Fitbit app and it says 430 calories, why!? I was expecting like 550-650 low balling.

Even if it can't be fixed just freaking acknowledge us! It's so tiring looking at these abandon excuse of forums. I constantly see people posting questions but if any of them call into question the algorithms, sensors, consistency, or accuracy....no one responds.

Best Answer

I have a Charge 5 and it has the same problem. On top of that, I primarily mountain bike, so speed is a terrible indicator of effort (i.e. a 7mph mountain bike ride could be more difficult than a 20mph road ride). I've begun logging my bike rides as "outdoor activity" and the calorie counts seem to be closer to what I would expect. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issue here. I rode 46 miles today and my Charge 5 says I burned 250 calories 🤣🤣

Best Answer
0 Votes