Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data on my app is different to the data on my charge?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi I have recently purchased a charge secondhand and I believe that there is either something wrong with the app or the syncing to my Fitbit. The data shown on the Fitbit is correct as everything started on zero like it should however on the app it says that I have burned like 1400 calories even though I haven’t even left the house yet. There are also lots and lots of previous data logged as well. I thought maybe it was just a previous users data even though I have created a new account so I rebooted everything and replaced the charge but still the same thing. I also thought it would reset in the morning but nope. I woke up this morning to

find that I had burned 430 calories even though I hadn’t worn the Fitbit in bed and hadn’t touched my phone, please help as I would love to be able to use the app for my personal weight loss journey and this is all holding me back! 

thanks,

Amber 

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

I think it may be ok.

As well as tracking calories burned through activity your fitbit also tracks your BMR calories. These are the calories you burn just keeping your body alive (even when asleep). They are calculated from your profile settings for age, height, weight etc so you needn't be wearing your fitbit to get them. What you are seeing for previous days is the total BMR calories burned each day and the number for today includes the total BMR calories burned since the counts were reset at midnight

Best Answer
Hi

I understand this however I only purchased the Fitbit yesterday and there are loads of other calories logged for previous dates that I didn’t own the Fitbit, also I didn’t have the Fitbit connected to my phone whilst I was asleep yet there were still calories there in the morning?

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

BMR calories are not obvious and confuse most people when they start with a fitbit (I had the same questions).

When you look at a day before you started with fitbit it will not know anything about your activities and the calories associated with them but it can calculate what your BMR would have been as they are based on just your profile settings.

Because they are calculated on just your profile settings you don't need to be wearing your fitbit for them to be tracked and you don't need to have your phone connected. They just get added minute by minute. My total BMR calories is about 1400 per day but it varies from person to person,

There's a little more information on this in a fitbit help file at https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1141/ and as BMR calories are not a fitbit thing you can get lots more on them from a google search

Best Answer
Ahhh okay!

Is there anyway you can remove them? As I kind of wanted to see how many calories I would burn in a day from how active I am not a predicted calorie count, thanks a lot for your help
Best Answer
0 Votes

Unfortunately, we can't exclude BMR calories from the totals. There is a feature suggestion to show them separate from activity calories though. If you'd like to add your vote you can find it at: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Separate-BMR-from-Activity-Calories-Burned-and-A...

Note though that it's only got 183 votes in 4 years and fitbit have shown no interest in the change so far. This is probably because for many people who use fitbit to help manage weight, it's important to include the BMR calories when working out how much they can eat and still meet their target. 

Best Answer

As for the BMR for precious days, fitbit does not store this data in your account, instead when a previous day is requested fitbit looks to see what it knows about the day. Which is nothing but the BMR which Fitbit will now calculate. There is nothing to remove 

Best Answer
0 Votes