Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Factory Reset Charge 3 to give to someone else?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

How do I factory reset my fitbit so that I may give it to someone else and they can use it starting fresh like a new device? I want to transfer it to a family member now that I upgraded to the Charge 5. I spent the last hour cleaning it with a tooth brush and an alcohol wipe getting into every nook and cranny making it all sparkly new and whatnot. But I can't power the device off, nor factory reset it.

So, how do I power the device down so that it doesn't drain battery while not being used?

Secondly, how do I factory reset it so that when they start setting it up on their app, its like new? (Or at least wipe my data from it so that it lets them set up a new device and all)

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @VasVadum  directions are here - click to go there

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
12 REPLIES 12

Hi @VasVadum  directions are here - click to go there

Best Answer
0 Votes

Alright, that takes care of the data, but how do I turn it off so its not sitting here shooting lasers around whenever something gets close to it and sitting there burning power waiting for someone to put it on?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't see where you can. User manual has nothing listed. Checking for articles on turning off the device, this one article pops up.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Pff, if it doesn't turn off, how do they turn it off when repackaging? 😐

Do you know how long the battery lasts? Life span wise, 2 years? 3 years? 5 years? Estimated time that is.

Mine lasted about 8-10 days between charges. Even with exercising. I just wonder when the battery will no longer be functional though.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Fitbit Community, @VasVadum. Thank you for sharing your Charge 3 inquiry.

There's no way to manually turn off the Charge 3. Please wait until the battery drains. Battery life depends of usage.

Thank  you for your assistance @Odyssey13.

Keep on visiting the forums.

Best Answer

@VasVadum  maybe they ship them out when their batteries are full, but they do say to charge it when setting it up. As for the battery life in years, it really depends on the user. I've seen people say their devices lasted for two years and some who've had them last for five years. Each of us uses these devices differently. If the new owner uses it for every possible function, it might not last as long as someone who uses very few functions. Sorry there's no real answer for the life of the battery. It's great you took such pains to clean it up so nicely for the next person. Bet you clean your car before selling it, too!

Best Answer

Thanks for the info then. 😛 I just wanted to know roughly how long the battery would have before it begins to degrade. I didn't charge it to 100% the other day and it would randomly drop 20% twice that day. Got it all the way to 97% and figured that'd be fine cause I had to go do something. Thought that was odd, but it could just be because I didn't hit 100% charge, cause 95% to 100% takes forever.

Also, I don't have a car. 😛 As for the device, I cleaned it because its been attached to my arm for 2 years, lots of dead skin cells and such in all the nooks and crannies, thats kinda gross. 😛 If you ever take your device off and pop the straps off, you'll see what I mean. Wearing it 8-10 days straight including during showers and such, yea, you should probably clean it before you give it to another family member. xD

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for your comments @Odyssey13.

I totally get what you meant with cleaning your Charge 3. I also wear my Fitbits 24/7 and only remove them to charge the battery. I think I'll start cleaning it at  that time; so, it doesn't accumulate all that dead skin. 

Have a nice evening. 

Best Answer

I cleaned mine occasionally, every few months, not as deeply though. Which worked for the most part. Good thing I have thick carpet here which is the best way to quickly clean the ends of the fitbit and such before putting it back on. xD (I mean, thats where all your skin cells end up anyway right? 😐 )

Due to this going to someone else, I just decided to be much more thorough with it.

Best Answer

Thanks for getting back to us @VasVadum. Yes, all the skin cells go to the carpet or in my case to the floor.

I hope your family member gives a good use to your Charge 3.

Have a nice day. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

By the way, waiting till the battery drains is a very bad idea. If a lithium battery reaches absolute zero, its dead, forever. It will never charge again. Thought I should mention that.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for getting back to us and for your observation @VasVadum

This information is helpful for other users to keep a healthy battery life with their devices. 

Keep on visiting the forums. 

Best Answer
0 Votes