Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fails to connect with Bluetooth on my laptop

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My new Charge 3 fails to connect with my laptop. The Bluetooth finds the Charge 3 but has a problem connecting to it. I uninstalled my pairing for my Charge 2 and then reinstalled it and everything is working fine for that device. Bluetooth found and paired the Charge 2.. Working with support no answers to what is causing this issue with that Charge 3. I used an old Nexus 7 7 inch tablet and that paired but I do not want to use this as my primary device..too old...?

However it's not working with my Acer laptop.

I am posting this in case other have this issue.

Returned to using my Charge 2 on this Acer laptop.

I do not have a smartphone. I am returning the Charge 3.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Update 11/11/2018: I thought there was hope based on comment to try again from the FitBit moderator that I might get the Charge 3 connected with ANY of my laptops but no, I could not! Worked for an hour with Fitbit support.. won't work with most laptops.

I have returned my 3rd Charge 3 to the retailer. Disappointed..need a high dollar phone I guess?

Well my Charge 2 will be my last Fitbit. After doing problem determination (see comments below) I cannot get the Charge 3 to pair with my primary laptop / tablet, PC, or Nexus 7 tablet.

I had to turn of bluetooth on my laptop and use a dongle to get it to connect. However several of the

options like change clockface will require a valid bluetooth pair. Live BP doesn't register either.

Took it back to Walmart this morning....

If you have a PC/Laptop and your Charge 2 worked great this Charge 3 will have this issue.

Someone forgot to test this. Only looks like phones and some tablets work.

So if you use a PC/Laptop as your primary your going to be out of luck with the Charge 3 and possibly future FitBit products......Spent 4 hours plus working this issue. Too frustrating....

Connection failedConnection failed

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
38 REPLIES 38

@Harry It's great to see you in our Fitbit Community! I'm sorry to hear that your Charge 3 didn't connect to your laptop as the Charge 2 did. I'm also sorry to hear that you decided to return it. I appreciate your feedback and comments about this issue.

Don't hesitate to get back if more assistance is needed and I'll be happy to help!

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer

JuanJoFitBit..I may try to purchase another Charge 3 and see if it was just an issue with the one I got.

Will do it this weekend...However those clockfaces must be fix..

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Harry Thank you for considering to keep trying the Charge 3. Don't hesitate to keep me updated when you have and I'll be happy to assist you with any inquiry you have.

Thank you also for your feedback about the clock faces.

See you later! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a Mac mini and have used Fitbit for years.  Worked with customer service when this Charge 3 first advertised.  Nothing said about not being able to a computer again.  You have to have a smart phone, tablet or the like.  NO warnings when I ordered it and the system knew what I utilized.  

Major waste of time on my part.  Fitbit dropped a lot of customers changing to this format as I am not buying a thousand dollar phone to be able to use this with 100 dollar monthly bills to connect to internet.

Be cautious with this company now please.  

Best Answer

Well, I got another Charge 3 and it also failed to connect/pair with Acer laptop. However I plugged in a Fitbit Dongle and turn off bluetooth and got it to give a code and download the 30 minute update.

I have to keep bluetooth turned off or it will try to connect and pair and then fail. It will sync with the dongle in the USB port. The dashboard no longer displays current BPM just 2 dashes. I cannot change the clock face because it requires a Bluetooth connection/pair.   I tried to use my old Nexus 7 tablet to try to connect to change the clock face but that fails. The charge 3 won't sync on the tablet does not recognize bluetooth pair. Tablet can't find it.

As stated before, I do not have a smartphone. This is a large oversight on Fitbit's part to omit

Bluetooth connectivity to laptops. My Charge 2 works fine...Thoughts??

Best Answer

If I can get my tablet to chage the clockface and also get a current BPM # on the dashboard I may not return this to the store?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Update 11/11/2018: I thought there was hope based on comment to try again from the FitBit moderator that I might get the Charge 3 connected with ANY of my laptops but no, I could not! Worked for an hour with Fitbit support.. won't work with most laptops.

I have returned my 3rd Charge 3 to the retailer. Disappointed..need a high dollar phone I guess?

Well my Charge 2 will be my last Fitbit. After doing problem determination (see comments below) I cannot get the Charge 3 to pair with my primary laptop / tablet, PC, or Nexus 7 tablet.

I had to turn of bluetooth on my laptop and use a dongle to get it to connect. However several of the

options like change clockface will require a valid bluetooth pair. Live BP doesn't register either.

Took it back to Walmart this morning....

If you have a PC/Laptop and your Charge 2 worked great this Charge 3 will have this issue.

Someone forgot to test this. Only looks like phones and some tablets work.

So if you use a PC/Laptop as your primary your going to be out of luck with the Charge 3 and possibly future FitBit products......Spent 4 hours plus working this issue. Too frustrating....

Connection failedConnection failed

Best Answer

This seems like a HUGE flaw.  I am experiencing the exact same issue.  I was so excited when the Charge 3 arrived.  Now I'm just really sad.

Best Answer

I too could not get Windows 10 laptop Bluetooth to connect to Charge 3. Even with Charge 3 next to laptop, and paired smartphone Bluetooth OFF.  Laptop Bluetooth found Charge 3 but would never connect.   Finally tried Fitbit Wireless Sync Dongle (https://www.fitbit.com/shop/accessories/wireless-sync-dongle), updated Dongle firmware, turned laptop Bluetooth OFF, ran Fitbit app on laptop, and Charge 3 synced with laptop.   Kind of an annoying workaround.  

Obscure comment in Fitbit help article Why won't my Fitbit device sync?  should say "If your computer doesn't support Bluetooth or Fitbit will not connect to Computer Bluetooth, it can still communicate with your device if you purchase a wireless sync dongle from the Fitbit Store."

Fitbit should include Wireless Sync Dongle with all fitbits!

Best Answer

Here is the deal on Bluetooth off and the Dongle.

I got the dongle to work just like you did..however....

1. Your heart rate (current) will not post to the dashboard

2. If they ever get better Clockface it will require a Bluetooth connection

3. Any other update or download that requires Bluetooth will not work

I took my 3rd Charge 3 back for a refund. The Charge 2 work perfectly.

Fitbit abandoned the laptop/computer support. SAD!

Best Answer

Trying to see what's the fitbit charger 3 is all about. Got one given from partner who gave it up trying to work it out. He feels so happy and free now not possessing this fitbit any longer. Getting to the point myself to see how great life is without it. Can't connect to laptop, no dongle supplied with over $200 fitbit. Seriously?  Connect with USB while charging same time... This makes no sense 

Best Answer

So what is the official status of the Charge3 working with Bluetooth to a Windows 10 Pro laptop?  I see many posts about problems syncing with iPhones and PC's via Bluetooth.    After years of using a Flex and then more recently Alta HR with the USB Dongle my wife bought me a Charge 3 after previous models all died.   Spent a couple of hours trying to get the Charge 3 setup and boom it sync'd and started working once with my Dell Latitude E6510 Laptop running Win10 Pro all the latest patches and the USB Dongle plugged in and Bluetooth on.   I loved the USB Dongle as it behind the scenes would sync my fitibit data anytime I sat down with my laptop.  I'm not a fan of leaving Bluetooth on for security reasons and battery life on my Android phone and laptop.  After a week of not sync'ing and me not able to figure out why I called support to find out the USB Dongle is not supported with the Charge 3 and I have to use Bluetooth.  

I removed the Dongle, deleted the Fitbit Connect software, and removed the Charge 3 from Dashboard and proceeded to try to set it up again with only Bluetooth.   My Bluetooth never detects/see's my Charge 3 on my laptop or Android phone.   I tried plugging the USB Dongle back in and boom Fitbit can find/detect my Charge 3 but will only add it to my dashboard not sync with it.   So I'm left wondering what is the official stance of Charge 3 + Win10Pro + PC Bluetooth....does it work, cause I see a lot frustrated user posts indicating it does not.   I'm really disappointed to see the USB Dongle support/Fitbit Connect SW support discontinued and can't say I'm a fan of the fat fitbit desktop client vs using the Web Browser.

Frustrated in Florida.....

Best Answer

I've decided Charge 3 is a piece of crap. Nothing will even pair with it anymore. Not my phone, not my tablet, not my phone. My Alta HR worked with all of those.

It's a shame because the info on the Charge 3 is great. Too bad it stays on your wrist and data cannot be dealt with. 

Best Answer

The Windows 10 app for connecting to the Fitbit 3 obviously still continues to fail at pairing & it's now June 2019. On my Asus laptop it found the Fitbit but would not pair. So I then downloaded the android app to my tablet and bingo, straight away it found and paired with the Fitbit 3. I think it must have something to do with the windows app that fails for so many people on computers versus android tablets.

Best Answer

A clear failure in testing before release. Sadly, I had to go back to my Charge 2.

Best Answer
For now I will sync my Fitbit 3 with my android tablet and do some more
research on what else I can try to pair my Fitbit with my Win 10 laptop. So
far I uninstalled the app, reinstalled, I deleted my Charge 2 from my
profile & restarted both my laptop & Fitbit 3. No luck. I still thin it's
the app for Win 10 that's at fault.
*Janice *
Best Answer
0 Votes

Don't give up with trying to connect your Fitbit Chg 3 to your Win 10 laptop! After 1 day, I repeated the uninstall Win app / re-install & shut down process the pairing was successful! For those of you who are still having problems, make sure to download the manual for Fitbit Charge 3 & follow the directions. The manual contains helpful directions for using the watch & app that are not contained in the watch package. Here is the link for downloading the manual: https://staticcs.fitbit.com/content/assets/help/manuals/manual_charge_3_en_US.pdf

Good luck! JZ

Best Answer
0 Votes

Agree with all the above. My Charge 3 did run with a few hiccups syncing for 6 months until I installed a software update about 2 months back. Now I can't get any Windows 10 laptop/desktop to connect. If you now look on the FitBit Connect setup device a Charge 3 isn't even listed. Small asterisk at the bottom says mobile only now.  

Best Answer
0 Votes
I managed Fitbit Chg 3 to connect both my devices after a few failed
attempts with my Win 10 laptop. My Android tablet connected straight away.
The next day I uninstalled/ re-installed Fitbit on Win 10 laptop & rebooted
with success. What I'd do if I were you is see if you can "borrow" someone
else's computer (Win 10) to try connecting Fitbit on that. If that works,
then uninstall on your Win 10 device & try again installing.
*Janice *
Best Answer
0 Votes