Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Charge 2 can't update firmware

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

For the past three weeks I've been trying to update the firmware on my fitbit Charge 2 to the latest version, but it keeps failing with a generic "Update failed" error.

I've tried restarting the fitbit but it didn't make any difference.

Any ideas on what might be going wrong here?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Here's the reply I got from fitbit support:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

1. Restart your Fitbit. (You can check the following link to see how this can be done) http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1186/?q=restart&l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1
2. Restart the Bluetooth on your Mobile device. (Turn off the Bluetooth, wait for 10 seconds, turn on the Bluetooth)
3. Unpaired your Fitbit Charge 2 from the Bluetooth settings. (This is only if you are able to see listed as a Bluetooth device the Charge 2)
4. Try to sync your Fitbit Charge 2 with the Fitbit App on your Mobile device.
5. If the App is not asking you to update the Firmware try to do it manually. (Tap on the tracker tile and then tap on "Update tracker")

After the Bluetooth is bonded again with your Mobile device, this should work. Please let us know if you need further assistance.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After following the above steps I was able to update my Charge 2 just fine. There was a weird side effect though: 

I no longer see my fitbit listed as a paired device in my bluetooth settings (and searching for bluetooth devices doesn't bring up the fitbit), but the fitbit app on my phone can still communicate with the Charge 2 and sync/update it.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
38 REPLIES 38

HOw about reatart of the phone, or remove the Blaze from the Bluetooth settings.

What phone do you use, that is if you are updating through the phone?

On Android try boty WiFi and Cellular

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've tried restarting the phone but it didn't help.  I've also tried the update both via Wifi and Cellular data, but neither made a difference.

I'm using an Android Moto G4 to update my Charge 2

Best Answer
0 Votes
I am also unable to complete the update through my phone - Moto G4.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Here's the reply I got from fitbit support:

1. Restart your Fitbit. (You can check the following link to see how this can be done) http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1186/?q=restart&l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1
2. Restart the Bluetooth on your Mobile device. (Turn off the Bluetooth, wait for 10 seconds, turn on the Bluetooth)
3. Unpaired your Fitbit Charge 2 from the Bluetooth settings. (This is only if you are able to see listed as a Bluetooth device the Charge 2)
4. Try to sync your Fitbit Charge 2 with the Fitbit App on your Mobile device.
5. If the App is not asking you to update the Firmware try to do it manually. (Tap on the tracker tile and then tap on "Update tracker")

After the Bluetooth is bonded again with your Mobile device, this should work. Please let us know if you need further assistance.

After following the above steps I was able to update my Charge 2 just fine. There was a weird side effect though: 

I no longer see my fitbit listed as a paired device in my bluetooth settings (and searching for bluetooth devices doesn't bring up the fitbit), but the fitbit app on my phone can still communicate with the Charge 2 and sync/update it.

Best Answer

Did not work and now my fitbit appears to be connected to my phone but on the fitbit itself, I only see an exclamation point in a solid circle. So frustrating!

Best Answer

I'm trying to update my tracker software but it keeps saying Fitbit bluetooth service is busy, try again later. 

So now what?

Best Answer

@ArleneR wrote:

I'm trying to update my tracker software but it keeps saying Fitbit bluetooth service is busy, try again later. 

So now what?

@ArleneR, try turning off the Bluetooth on the phone, wait about 10 seconds, and turn it back on. That should "unbusy" it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I did turn off the bluetooth on my phone and turned if back on.   It showed my fitbit not paired to bluetooth and when I turned the bluetooth back on it showed my Charge 2 paired with my phone.

The tracker still shows bluetooth service is busy

Best Answer

I find that if i get the Bluetooth busy, it is becaise the Fitbit app is currently trying to use it, i agree by turning it off, whatever is using it should fail and give up, thus releasing the Bluetooth. 

Thats not why im responding.

Many peoole want to update the firmware through WiFi to save cell dats. This can cause a problem on Android devices, most use the same antenna for WiFi and Bluetooth, some phones are known to have conflicts and the firmware update fails, even though it syncs fine. The solution for these phones is to use cellular data to do the firmware update.

Another way would be to use a different device, even a friends phone would work, you will want to remove the tracker from the phones Bluetooth after done,

Best Answer

Thank you, by turning off my bluetooth completely and updating my firmware using my cell like you said.  

It worked.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ArleneR i think 6ou mean turning off Wifi, the tracker needs Bluetooth to comunicate with the phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks, I already got an answer and was able to update my newest firmware.
I turned off bluetooth and it finally updated.
Thanks to all of you that posted to help me.
Best Answer
0 Votes
It didn't work turning off the bluetooth and waiting and turning it back
on. Had to turn off the bluetooth and then update firmware. Then turn the
blue tooth back on.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Just tried all of the above several times and the result after several minutes is always the same;

Could not complete your Fitbit Charge 2 update.

What is curious is that I ensure that my charge 2 is connected via bluetooth to my phone before I attempt the update, but the update screen states 'finding tracker'. What is going on?

Best Answer

Thanks for sharing this information!  I followed the directions and it worked perfect!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry can’t offer any solution only moral support, Have a brand new Charger 2 and the exact same problem as you, Have tried on both IPhone and Laptop, same issue  e.g. cannot update tracker (synch is fine). Very Very annoying. Am on the brink of packing it up and sending it back. (PS it is more than cosmetic, the screen will not go beyond the initial start up screen , I expect the update is  mandated).

Best Answer

I tried the solution from Fitbit support.  Still would not update..

Best Answer

This procedure is udder nonsense, I've tried "part of the solution" and still failed...I will not be updating firmware for this inferior product...get your so called IT programmers heads out of their asses and fix this issue instead of your loyal customers doing all these bogus procedures  

Best Answer

This worked fine for me earlier in the year with a firmware update, but it certainly isn't working now in any combination of the instructions.  Really disappointing.  come on guys.  Great product let down by poor basic comms software.....  😞

Best Answer